Highest Rated Recruit On Signing Day?

Eagle-96

What do you think the highest rated recruit will be on signing day now that Coach Dodge is on board. In the past we have usually been able to pull in mostly 2-Star players with one or two 3-Star recruits every now and then. I think that we could see quite a few 3-star players and might even be able to draw a 4-star player if we are lucky. I think the receiver and QB position will obviously see the biggest impact.

I think we will can get more 3 star recruits, and maybe snag a few 4 star recruits. I honestly have no idea about this season's class though, since Dodge hasn't picked out all of his coaching staff and he hasn't even officially started his job yet.

Whether we wanted to admit it or not, SMU had a huge recruiting advantage over us. A good stadium and a top tier private university sells better. With Dodge I expect the tables to be turned. Add in our new stadium and we should be able to beat SMU and TCU in recruiting on a consistent basis.

Edited by Mean'n'Green07

I would say we have outrecruited SMU most of DD's term, it wasnt untill the last few years that they got even and did a little better than us.

I think TCU is now almost on par with the Aggs, and I think if you look at the amount of players the Frogs have put into the pros in recent years vs the amount of Aggs, you will be shocked. Judging by that blistering they put on NIU I would say we have a while before we catch the Froggies.

Having said that I think we will see 2-3 3 star recruits every year.

I think we will can get more 3 star recruits, and maybe snag a few 4 star recruits. I honestly have no idea about this season's class though, since Dodge hasn't picked out all of his coaching staff and he hasn't even officially started his job yet.

Whether we wanted to admit it or not, SMU had a huge recruiting advantage over us. A good stadium and a top tier private university sells better. With Dodge I expect the tables to be turned. Add in our new stadium and we should be able to beat SMU and TCU in recruiting on a consistent basis.

Star recruits--

Well, remember that all the so called recruiting experts, web sites, and football guru's will always

change the ratings on a player if the player picks NT.

If the kid signs with someone like T. Tech, he will be a 4 star. If the same kid signs with NT, then he will become a 2 star.

I will let TD choose his own players. They will all be 5 star players in my book!

Not only beyond, but way beyond :king:

My point was that instead of signing one 3-star player and fifteen 2-star players, we actually may be able to bring five or six 3-star players. I don't think that is beyond reason.

2006 - Zero 3-star recruits

2005 - One 3-star recruit(Willie Ransom)

2004 - Two 3-star recruits(Jamario Thomas, TJ Covington)

2003 - One 3-star recruit(Michael Pruitt)

Edited by Eagle-96

My point was that instead of signing one 3-star player and fifteen 2-star players, we actually may be able to bring five or six 3-star players. I don't think that is beyond reason.

2006 - Zero 3-star recruits

2005 - One 3-star recruit(Willie Ransom)

2004 - Two 3-star recruits(Jamario Thomas, TJ Covington)

2003 - One 3-star recruit(Michael Pruitt)

Ransom was a bust, He had all sorts of potential, but played like he didn't care.

Covington was OVERRATED. He was suppose to ce a great cover corner, but he wasn't. He had more stupid unsportsmanlike penalities than tackles.

Jamario had a great freshman year, but injuries have slowed him since.

Pruitt was a STUD. Was the best DL on a team in transition from Booger Kennedy. Pruitt made the transition almost unnoticed. Great player.

An annual look at Dave Campbell's Texas Football would tell you how relevant the star rating system is. Look at NT for instance. Every year we have one of the lowest rated classes, yet five years later than perform much better than originally anticipated.

An annual look at Dave Campbell's Texas Football would tell you how relevant the star rating system is. Look at NT for instance. Every year we have one of the lowest rated classes, yet five years later than perform much better than originally anticipated.

Recruiting ratings are a mixed bag. If you get someone from the National 100 or Texas top 35, they almost always make it though there are some busts. If you take the Texas top 100, or even top 250, lists, you get a fair number of both hits and misses. By the time you get to the Local 100's, they are no better than just taking a bunch of All-District players. There will be some hits and a lot of misses four years down the road.

If you go back and look at our recruits. When we get a Texas Top 100, or even better a Texas Top 35 (which the Austin paper puts out), we get a pretty good number of hits. But, if you look at the local 100's, most of our best players didn't make those lists. SMU had a lot of those over the past 6 years, but they only began to show some results when they started getting a few state 100's.

So, to make this short. The higher lists have some validity, but are not perfect. The lower lists are pretty much beauty contests.

Very true. Look at the DCTF from the summer of '04 which rated the class of '99 or '00? North Texas's recruiting class that season finished 4th in the state based on performance.

I don't look at the rating systems at all. Never have, never will.

Rick

Recruiting ratings are a mixed bag. If you get someone from the National 100 or Texas top 35, they almost always make it though there are some busts. If you take the Texas top 100, or even top 250, lists, you get a fair number of both hits and misses. By the time you get to the Local 100's, they are no better than just taking a bunch of All-District players. There will be some hits and a lot of misses four years down the road.

If you go back and look at our recruits. When we get a Texas Top 100, or even better a Texas Top 35 (which the Austin paper puts out), we get a pretty good number of hits. But, if you look at the local 100's, most of our best players didn't make those lists. SMU had a lot of those over the past 6 years, but they only began to show some results when they started getting a few state 100's.

So, to make this short. The higher lists have some validity, but are not perfect. The lower lists are pretty much beauty contests.

well said.

You guys have no idea who you just put at the healm, and who he will put as assistants. The best thing about TD is that you don't have to second guess anymore. Just sit back and let he and his team go to work. You don't have to coach anymore. Learn to sit back and focus on ways that you can enjoy the game better. Worry about tailgating, etc. Its much funner when you don't have to coach from the stands. TD has played four 16 game seasons in a row. Every time you play one game you watch tapes of several in preparation. believe me, he knows where the talent is. Also, he knows there are many 2 stars who can run circles around 4 stars and he knows how to get the best out of his players, scout team thru starters. Go practice how to yell, shout, smile, and have some fun.

You guys have no idea who you just put at the healm, and who he will put as assistants. The best thing about TD is that you don't have to second guess anymore. Just sit back and let he and his team go to work. You don't have to coach anymore. Learn to sit back and focus on ways that you can enjoy the game better. Worry about tailgating, etc. Its much funner when you don't have to coach from the stands. TD has played four 16 game seasons in a row. Every time you play one game you watch tapes of several in preparation. believe me, he knows where the talent is. Also, he knows there are many 2 stars who can run circles around 4 stars and he knows how to get the best out of his players, scout team thru starters. Go practice how to yell, shout, smile, and have some fun.

Agree!

The only 2 games that I witnessed this year , vs. Allen and Trinity , it looked as if SLC was full of those 2 stars players and Allen & ET had all those 3-5 star recruits. TD knows what he is doing. Ill take a 2 star recruit coached by TD over a 4 star recruit being coached by DD any day.

There could easily be several 3 and 4 star recruits that we might get based on very early information.

1) Any more info on that?

2) Any idea when the recruiting page will be up and running?

3) It had been stated that NT had up to 10 verbals already, do we know if any of those will be retained? And any word on who they are?

There could easily be several 3 and 4 star recruits that we might get based on very early information.

And we should all find this to be very encouraging because Charles aka OldTimer follows Mean Green recruiting very, very closely each year right alongside his compadres, ie, the GoMeanGreen.com recruiting team of experts that begins with Harry Miers.

Also, I think we'd all be interested to know who is going to be hired as Coach Dodge's assistant coaches who will recruit the Greater Houston area. And............who might Coach Dodge hire to be his assistant head football coach who might also have as part of his duties to be our new recruiting coordinator?

I think it will take Coach Dodge at least 2 years to establish a recruiting base whereas we will have a group of players on campus in a few years who will have our Mean Green football program emulating what schools like Boise State has done (this year) and Utah (in recent years) as far as their being participants in the BCS Championship Series.

A new NCAA D1-A football stadium at the Mean Green Village will hasten all this BCS Championship Series talk, too, IMO.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Here are some of the seniors who I saw this year broadcasting games that we should definitely go after.

Let's start with the Dragons:

Anthony Ford - WR

Blake Tomlin - WR

the all state OL (Robert Hill?)

Justin Padron - MLB (can't bellieve more people aren't looking at him)

Bryce Saldi - DE (probalby will go to Texas Tech where his brother went)

Kyle Russo- DE (great player, can play the run very well)

OTHER SCHOOLS I SAW

William Cole - QB (Cedar Hill) - would convert to WR and be awesome as well as a terrific PG for Coach Jones

Thompson - DL (Cedar Hill) - amazing game in the state final, good size

John Jones - OL (Cedar Hill) = taken by Baylor

Chris Francis - MLB (Cedar Hill) - the real deal, would contend for a starting job as a freshman (better than Padron)

Marcus King - WR (Euless Trinity) - would have caught 16 TD passes over 1,000 yards in SLC Offense

Youri Yenga - DE (Euless Trinity) - would probably be converted to LB but can definitely rush the passer

OL - about 4 of them (Euless Trinity)

Jordan Scroggins - TE (Euless Trinity) - best NFL prospect on the team

Ricco Richards - RB (Bronsboro) - what amazing feet this guy has to run out of tackles...amazing footwork

Cy Zimmerman - S (Argyle) - has great instincts for the football and can HIT, needs weight

Brandon Cobb - QB (Decatur) - worth looking at, not on the top of my list

Jordan Buckley - WR (FM Marcus) - good speed, can be developed more

David Neill - DT (FM Marcus) - already taken (darn) - Texas Tech

Neal Tivis - DT / OL (Sanger) - we are not on his list, or should I say...WERE NOT (past tense)

Nathan Pegues - RB (Sanger) - has a nose for the end zone, can run between tackles well (not on the top of my list)

Houston St. Pius X had three great players including two receivers and a DL / RB who would probably be a great LB

(I'm sure there were more, I'm just brain dead right now).