Qb 2007

eeally

With Dodge's son coming up in 2008! If he chooses UNT...then this is how I see the QB thing working out.

Phillips as the current best passer we have would secure the spot for next year and possible SR year.

Dodge would take over mid -- frosh or red shirt. With 4 full years (probable)

Meager would serve as backup, with a chance to prove we can throw! But I see Phillips beating him out. (could change)

I see Woody Wilson moving to Free Safety or H-back!!!

All Speculation but who knows.

With Dodge's son coming up in 2008! If he chooses UNT...then this is how I see the QB thing working out.

Phillips as the current best passer we have would secure  the spot for next year and possible SR year.

Dodge would take over mid -- frosh or red shirt. With 4 full years (probable)

Meager would serve as backup, with a chance to prove we can throw! But I see Phillips beating him out. (could change)

I see Woody Wilson moving to Free Safety or H-back!!!

All Speculation but who knows.

You'd think there's someone out there who, at this point, hasn't really been considered. Coming from hs ranks, figure Dodge will look at every viable senior out there who throws a tight spiral. Guessing there must be a moldable kid getting mild attention from bigger programs -- someone Dodge can sign and play as a true frosh if Tune isn't the right fit. I've seen a lot of guys this year just in DFW who look better than any of our three, so why not consider it? Before you say college and high school are apples and oranges, I know. But as much as these kids throw now all over the state, they're pretty sophisticated and prepared.

I don't know anything about how Tune plays so I can't predict anything with him. All else being equal (no big time QB transferring over, etc.), I predict Woody Wilson takes the job. He is extremely fast, a great scrambling QB, and has an very accurate arm (60%+ completion rate). He just needs to work on cutting down on interceptions, and I think Dodge is the man to teach him how to do this.

Lots of speculation, not much real to go on.

...I'm going to say this. I was one of the loudest screamers in the stands this year. "BENCH MEAGER!!!" ...it was the thing I said most often behind "FIRE DICKEY!!!!"

I think with a new coaching staff, Wilson, Phillips, Tune, Meager and any Freshman/JUCO kid who wants to be the QB should be given a clean slate.

I'm not ready to throw Meager to the wolves in light of the people who have been coaching him. I think any of the guys we currently have may be able to fit the bill if coached and trained properly. They all showed moments of talent though the season, each one with strenghts and weaknesses.

Lots of things can happen. Woody may be better utilized in another position and may move without an argument. Meager may back off after a few concusions. We may get a brilliant JUCO or DIIA transfer. Let's just sit back and see what happens.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Phillips has the strongest and perhaps the most accurate arm overall but needs time for deep routes. He's been put in in situations where to often it was only to throw a deep ball. His completion percentage might have been better throwing shorter routes. But, his mobility leaves a lot to be desired. He is more of a Drew Bledsoe type and you've seen what happened to him.

Since the play will be signalled in from the sideline, Wilson could be the best of the lot. He is certainly the fastest and has the best running ability. Since most of the plays this coming year will likely be quick-hitting, WW's scrambling ability won't be as needed. I believe that he may be very accurate for the short pass, thus could easily be the winner of the quarterback competition next season.

Unless TD sees some mechanical error or can coach him out of bad habits, I don't see Meager as a viable candidate next year.

I've only seen Nathan Tune in the Texas HS Football Coaches All-Star Game but I liked everything that I saw then. He certainly has the most potential, if not outright ability of all the candidates.

Todd Dodge strikes me as being as forthright as I've met. I think that he will pick the person who in his opinion is the best qualified. He'll deal with how it affects Riley Dodge later.

For my money (but not much of it) I think that it'll be Tune, Wilson, Phillips and Meager in that order.

Phillips has the strongest and perhaps the most accurate arm overall but needs time for deep routes. He's been put in in situations where to often it was only to throw a deep ball. His completion percentage might have been better throwing shorter routes. But, his mobility leaves a lot to be desired. He is more of a Drew Bledsoe type and you've seen what happened to him.

Since the play will be signalled in from the sideline, Wilson could be the best of the lot. He is certainly the fastest and has the best running ability. Since most of the plays this coming year will likely be quick-hitting, WW's scrambling ability won't be as needed. I believe that he may be very accurate for the short pass, thus could easily be the winner of the quarterback competition next season.

Unless TD sees some mechanical error or can coach him out of bad habits, I don't see Meager as a viable candidate next year.

I've only seen Nathan Tune in the Texas HS Football Coaches All-Star Game but I liked everything that I saw then. He certainly has the most potential, if not outright ability of all the candidates.

Todd Dodge strikes me as being as forthright as I've met. I think that he will pick the person who in his opinion is the best qualified. He'll deal with how it affects Riley Dodge later.

For my money (but not much of it) I think that it'll be Tune, Wilson, Phillips and Meager in that order.

Well, I saw Tune run the second team during fall practice and observed that he was a very solid prospect. He threw well, he moved well, and he carried himself with a lot of confidence.

I've been told that QB training/mentoring under DD has been minimal at best. So, if that's the case, then it'll be real interesting to see what happens when all of the QB's get a big dose of real QB training/mentoring. Tune will probably benefit the most, since he's still new to the job, and (in theory) hasn't picked up any bad habits. I still think that DM's main problem has been his intensity, which leads to him to press too hard to make a big play, which then has often led to int's.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

My nephew plays at SLC now, and I have seen a great deal of their games. Nathan Tune is the guy we have that fits the mold the closest. There is no real way to know until spring ball, but TD will find his QB quickly.

Oh, and I also see Riley going to the Big-XII with the numbers he is putting up. It wont matter that much for us, in TD's system we have a couple of guys here already who fit the bill. I am curious about what happens with Woody Wilson? I hate to say Arkansas was right, but he may be better suited to play DB. No more speculation from me on that one... TD will get the right guy for QB...... I'm out.

GMG!!!