Fw*telegram Carroll On Familiar Path

OldTimer

Carroll on a familiar path By TRAE THOMPSON

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/KHAMPHA BOUAPHANH

Tré Newton, who had 182 total yards Saturday, and Carroll are running toward their third consecutive state championship.IRVING -- Blake Cantu was amazed.

"It hasn't even hit me yet," the Carroll wide receiver said.

Offensive lineman Robert Hill called the moment "unbelievable."

The Carroll Dragons are one step away from adding to their dynasty after defeating Allen 38-0 in a Class 5A Division I state semifinal Saturday at Texas Stadium.

Carroll (15-0), which has now won 47 straight games, advances to its 5A-record fifth consecutive state title game, where it will seek a third consecutive championship. The Dragons will play Austin Westlake on Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Alamodome in San Antonio.

"We've played 16 games for five years now, and I definitely think the big-game experience pays off," coach Todd Dodge said. "I just tell the kids, 'The one thing you want to make sure you do, you put an extra layer of steel around the fieldhouse, you keep out all the distractions, and then you turn loose and play.'"

The victory marked the final high school game at Texas Stadium for Dodge, who was named North Texas' new coach Tuesday. Dodge broke the news to the team that morning.

"I knew two days prior, and my dad was really nervous earlier in the week," said quarterback Riley Dodge, who completed 13 of 21 passes for 183 yards. "I told him if it was a different program and we were in a different situation, it might affect the guys. But these guys are so mature. These guys want to win a state championship probably worse than ever."

With the buzz of Dodge's news also came an opinion among players that they hadn't played their best game yet.

That concern was put to rest early, as Carroll built a 31-0 halftime lead over the Eagles (13-2).

Carroll's first points came on defense, as linebacker Derek Tomlin returned a fumble 77 yards for a touchdown with 9:48 left in the first quarter.

After Allen starting quarterback Nathan Dick was knocked out of the game trying to make a tackle, Carroll's defense dominated. The Eagles punted on three of their next five possessions, Carroll recovered a fumble, and Allen recovered another for a 16-yard loss.

Dodge added two touchdown passes to Cantu and another to Anthony Ford, who ran in untouched to put Carroll ahead 28-0. With Allen's defense dropping into pass coverage, Dodge went to Tré Newton three times on shovel passes that accounted for 52 yards and put Carroll in scoring position.

Following a 41-yard Cade Foster field goal, Newton scored on a 19-yard run with 4:52 left in the third quarter.

"We worked on it in practice," Newton said of the shovel pass. "We thought it would be a good play because the backers like to drop back big-time, so we just worked it and it turned out to be a big play for us."

CARROLL 38, ALLEN 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow... a coach that makes adjustments based on their opponent... Just another thing we will have to get used to! biggrin.gif