Southlake Times Article on Dodge

Harry

Dodge headed to North Texas after season ends

http://www.mckinneymessenger.com/articles/...ws/news%200.txt

BY RICKY MOORE, Staff Writer

(Created: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:03 PM CST)

| Text Size | Print Version | E-mail This Story

Advertisement

DENTON — Just moments after being introduced as the new head football coach at the University of North Texas Tuesday night, Todd Dodge’s thoughts turned back to his players at Carroll.

Dodge spotted a group of North Texas football players in the back of the room and spoke to them.

“I’ve got a journey with some guys just like you,” he said. “They are a little bit younger than you are now, but in the big picture of things I’m hoping to finish my journey with my team now and then get a chance to meet you.”

Dodge added he is looking forward to starting his journey with the players at North Texas.

Dodge, 43, will take over as the 16th head football coach at North Texas effective after Dec. 23, North Texas Athletics Director Rick Villarreal announced.

Since arriving at Carroll in 2000, Dodge has posted a record of 96-11 and has led the Dragons to three state championships, four consecutive state championship appearances and seven straight playoff appearances.

Dodge came to Carroll after head coaching stints at Cameron Yoe, Carrollton Newman Smith and Keller Fossil Ridge.

Carroll plays Allen at 1 p.m. Saturday in a Class 5A Division I state semifinal game. The winner of that game will face the winner of the other semifinal between Pearland and Austin Westlake in the state championship game on Dec. 23 at San Antonio’s Alamodome.

Tuesday morning, Dodge talked to his players about leaving Carroll for North Texas. He said he wanted current players and coaching staff and the players and coaches that have been at Carroll over the seven years that they should feel ownership in this.

“What we have done together has allowed me to have this opportunity,” Dodge told them. “I’m ready to finish the journey that we have started at Carroll.”

Dodge said he did a pretty good job of not losing focus during the team meeting and not getting overly emotional.

He also said he doesn’t expect the announcement to affect the squad’s play at all on Saturday. In fact according to Dodge, Tuesday’s practice was one of the best and most spirited of the year.

“I don’t think this will get in the way one bit,” Dodge said. “We take a lot of pride in saying no excuses. There are not going to be anyone excuses. We are going to be result oriented. We are not going to use any distractions as excuses.”

North Texas is familiar territory for Dodge. In 1992-93, he served as offensive coordinator for the Mean Green under Dennis Parker in 1992-93.

“My family and I are extremely excited for the opportunity to return to the Mean Green football program, which is very near to our hearts,” Dodge said. “We have fond memories of our time at North Texas, and I truly believe that my two years as the offensive coordinator here really set the groundwork for the successes that I have achieved as a head football coach.”

Dodge, who has been honored as the Schutt Sports and USA Today National Coach of the Year, feels like he is representing Texas High School football coaches by taking over the program at North Texas.

“It is not very often that a guy like me gets and opportunity like this,” he said.

Dodge plans to put together his coaching staff at North Texas as soon as possible and some of those coaches will be culled from the staff at Carroll.

“There will be some coming with me,” Dodge said.

Speculation is that Haltom head coach Clayton George, who played receiver at North Texas from 1990-93 and former offensive coordinator at Carroll, will likely join the Dodge’s staff possibly at offensive coordinator.

Carroll Athletics Director Ronnie Tipps said the search for Dodge’s replacement won’t begin until the football season ends. But he would like the get a new coach in place as soon as possible to get the off-season program going.

Dodge said he like a hand in choosing his successor and is looking forward to being a player’s dad next season. Dodge’s son Riley, a junior, is the Dragons starting quarterback.