A Non-BCS School With 4 New Head FB Coaches In 9

PlummMeanGreen

Idaho Sports Media? "That New Boise State Head FB Coach Won't Stay There Long!" BSU leadership: "Uh...........so?" laugh.gif

And the school with 4 new HFC's over a 9 year period would (in deed) be those Boise State Broncos.

To repeat a post of SUMG's this is what happened to Boise State:

1997: Lost Houston Nutt to the Arkansas Razorbacks then replaced Nutt with Dirk Koetter

2000: Lost Dirk Koetter to Big 12 Oklahoma State (who lost him to PAC 10 Arizona St. in less than 24 hours) then BSU hires Dan Hawkins to take Koetter's place

2005: Lost Dan Hawkins to Colorado then hires their present coach who said in a lengthy CUSA front page feature last weekend that "taking the bigger job" is not what its all cut out to be and is the reason he and his family are digging in their roots deeper as residents of Boise, Idaho.

2006: BSU's latest new coach take his Bronco team into the NCAA D1-A BCS Championship Series. ohmy.gif

Seems as if our former Big West Conference-mate have found a way to "cycle up" each time they lost a HFC while upgrading their football program almost each time they hired replacements. BSU is really quite a D1-A football phenomena, aren't they? smile.gif

Wonder if our "most supportive" rolleyes.gif state-wide Texas media who have been drinking mean green-tinted "hater-ade" the last few days while freely tossing well aimed barbs at our alma mater since the first day of Todd Dodge's new role as our new HFC could possibly figure out for themselves that losing HFC's like Boise State has hardly caused the Broncos to fold their tents, do a bit of the self pity-party thing and head home squealing like a stuck pig with its curled tail between its legs? rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Idaho Sports Media?  "That New Boise State Head FB Coach Won't Stay There Long!"  BSU leadership:  "Uh...........so?" laugh.gif 

And the school with 4 new HFC's over a 9 year period would (in deed) be those Boise State Broncos. 

To repeat a post of SUMG's this is what happened to Boise State:

1997:  Lost Houston Nutt to the Arkansas Razorbacks then replaced Nutt with Dirk Koetter

2000: Lost Dirk Koetter to Big 12 Oklahoma State (who lost him to PAC 10 Arizona St. in less than 24 hours) then BSU hires Dan Hawkins to take Koetter's place

2005:  Lost Dan Hawkins to Colorado then hires their present coach who said in a lengthy CUSA front page feature last weekend that "taking the bigger job" is not what its all cut out to be and is the reason he and his family are digging in their roots deeper as residents of Boise, Idaho.

2006: BSU's latest new coach take his Bronco team into the NCAA D1-A BCS Championship Series. ohmy.gif

Seems as if our former Big West Conference-mate have found a way to "cycle up" each time they lost a HFC while upgrading their football program almost each time they hired replacements.  BSU is really quite a D1-A football phenomena, aren't they? smile.gif

Wonder if our "most supportive" rolleyes.gif  state-wide Texas media who have been drinking mean green-tinted "hater-ade" the last few days while freely tossing well aimed barbs at our alma mater since the first day of Todd Dodge's new role as our new HFC could possibly figure out for themselves that losing HFC's like Boise State has hardly caused the Broncos to fold their tents, do a bit of the self pity-party thing and head home squealing like a stuck pig with its curled tail between its legs? rolleyes.gif

DUDE, YOU'RE GREAT!

DUDE, YOU'RE GREAT!

Oh runt96, not really, but...............you have read my latest book, right?

"Humility & How I Attained It" (Published by Damn! I'm Not So Bad books AND my book signing tour all over Parker County sponsored by the old "Humble" rolleyes.gif Oil Refinery Company? rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This is what North Texas should have been doing all these years since Hayden Fry left. Instead of looking for the "next Hayden Fry", the old-nesters-Hayden-haters" took over and looked for someone that was just the opposite of Hayden.

Since then (with the exception of Corkey Nelson...and he had to apply three times before he was hired) it's been one dumb-ass coaching hire after another.

Hopefully RV will stay in place and already have TD's replacement in mind.

This is what North Texas should have been doing all these years since Hayden Fry left. Instead of looking for the "next Hayden Fry", the old-nesters-Hayden-haters" took over and looked for someone that was just the opposite of Hayden.

Since then (with the exception of Corkey Nelson...and he had to apply three times before he was hired) it's been one dumb-ass coaching hire after another.

Hopefully RV will stay in place and already have TD's replacement in mind.

Amen, bro', you be preaching to the nestor choir now. smile.gif

SE, just think where this program would be today had we done what you have posted about.

For certain, Rick V wouldn't have to be making up for almost a quarter of a century we seem to have mostly squandered in so many ways. For sure there were a few bright moments in that span of time, but not the kind of numbers a successful D1 athletic program would have; and we have to remember that 12 of those years were spent in 1-AA and that would have never happened had we kept cycling up each coach's hire post-Hayden Fry.

Good post and so refreshing for so many of us to have something to look forward to that has an entire silver cloud (instead of just the lining) attached to it.

GMG!

ADDENDUM: 4 new head football coaches in 9 years for non-BCS Boise State and now they're in the freakin' BCS Championship Series?!?!? laugh.gif

Wonder if our most supportive state-wide media and some of our recruiting opponents need to get wind of that little fact? Wonder if that might cause some of that group to have a need to come up with some "new material" concerning UNT instead of their ol' worn out, trite and most un-creative "he won't stay there long" theme? smile.gif

GO BOISE STATE! tongue.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Wonder if our "most supportive" rolleyes.gif  state-wide Texas media who have been drinking mean green-tinted "hater-ade" the last few days while freely tossing well aimed barbs at our alma mater since the first day of Todd Dodge's new role as our new HFC could possibly figure out for themselves that losing HFC's like Boise State has hardly caused the Broncos to fold their tents, do a bit of the self pity-party thing and head home squealing like a stuck pig with its curled tail between its legs? rolleyes.gif

You know, Plumm, that's gotta be the first thing I've read of yours in a while that I really enjoyed. Well said, I think. Collectively, the school, the alumni, and the fans are what will outlast any administrator, any coach, and certainly any player. If we keep out heads on straight and represent our university well (and yes, Plumm, not accept mediocrity, either), we can help keep this thing going for a long time.

Nice to have you back in the fold.

You know, Plumm, that's gotta be the first thing I've read of yours in a while that I really enjoyed.  Well said, I think.  Collectively, the school, the alumni, and the fans are what will outlast any administrator, any coach, and certainly any player.  If we keep out heads on straight and represent our university well (and yes, Plumm, not accept mediocrity, either), we can help keep this thing going for a long time.

Nice to have you back in the fold.

Thank you, i32. (I think)? blink.giflaugh.gif

There are many back in the fold, illuvius32, and I believe that will even more obvious at the turnstiles this next September at our home season opener and with the debut of Todd Dodge as our Mean Green HFC.

Honest to goodness, many of us older nester "types" have not been this excited about a hire since another one that was made in December of 1972.

Hang on to your seats everybody! It's going to be one helluva' ride!

GMG!

Shamless bump because...

...this thread was really created (moreso) for our many, many visitors and/or critics rolleyes.gif (with maybe one local female ESPN 103.3 FM radio personality in particular? ph34r.gif ) who may need to know that some D1-A schools have actually lost coaches and still survived and even moved up the NCAA D1-A food chain.

Boise State U has not only survived 4 new HFC's in 9 years, but have topped all that off by gaining a spot in the BCS Championship Series in the next few weeks.

Certainly I (as all of you) are a bit biased, but I think Mean Green football with all we now have working for us, ie, the hiring of Todd Dodge as our new HFC, a busting out of the seams main campus enrollment with our growing residential campus status, many new faces moving into Denton (County) AND.......the first almost $2 million put down on a new football stadium, ie, palace at our "most visilble" Mean Green Village......

...........anyhooooo, I believe UNT now has all the ingrediants in place to steer our Mean Green football ship in the same direction that our former Big West Conference-mate, Boise State, has with their inclusion in the BCSCS.

It's mostly all good now...&

GO SLC DRAGONS!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen