Arky receiver gets release

MeanGreen61

Seems some Arkansas freshmen are unhappy because they thought they'd be playing in a spread offense for the Razorbacks. One receiver now has a release to xfer. rolleyes.gif

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- The mother of Arkansas freshman quarterback Mitch Mustain said Wednesday that players' parents who expressed concern about the Razorbacks' offense respect coach Houston Nutt's prerogative to shape the team's strategy.

The team's offense was discussed in a meeting between athletic director Frank Broyles and the parents of several freshmen.

Beck Campbell, Mustain's mother, said in a statement that she discussed concerns about her son's future as a football player. Campbell said she did not seek promises or guarantees, and that playing time was not an issue.

"It was agreed by all parties involved that the head coach has the valid right to determine the direction of the program and the manner in which the team would develop," she said.

The No. 12 Razorbacks rode the running of Heisman Trophy runner-up Darren McFadden and Felix Jones, another 1,000-yard rusher, to a surprising Southeastern Conference title game appearance this season.

Campbell, along with the parents of tight end Ben Cleveland and receiver Damian Williams, visited Broyles last week. The three athletes played together at Springdale High School last year under Razorbacks offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn, who was hired by Nutt after the 2005 season.

On Wednesday night, Nutt said Williams will be given his release to transfer.

Freshman QB Mitch Mustain came to Arkansas as a top recruit. (US PRESSWIRE)

At Springdale, Malzahn used a spread offense that leaned heavily on the passing game.

Rick Cleveland, the tight end's father, said the parents understand Arkansas can run whatever offense it's comfortable with, but he's concerned the Springdale players might have been sold "a bill of goods" during recruiting.

"Our boys are used to catching 60 passes a year," Cleveland told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. "They want to go to a college where they get the same opportunity."

Williams caught 19 passes this year for 235 yards while Ben Cleveland caught 11 for 98 yards. Both were named to the All-Southeastern Conference freshman team. Only one Arkansas receiver has caught more than 60 passes in a year.

Mustain started eight games for the Razorbacks -- all wins -- before being replaced late in the season by Casey Dick.

Rick Cleveland described the situation as "fluid" when discussing the possibility any of the Springdale players could transfer.

Nutt has not talked about the complaints. Broyles said he had told the parents to meet with Nutt, but they came to his office anyway and he "didn't want to be rude." He has not discussed the details of the meeting.

Mustain was the Parade magazine high school Player of the Year in 2005 and one of the most sought-after recruits in the nation before signing with Arkansas. Malzahn became Arkansas' offensive coordinator shortly before Mustain signed.

Campbell said Mustain "loves his teammates, and he feels a deep sense of regret and sadness that his presence on this team has created a division in a state he loves."

The Razorbacks face No. 6 Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl on New Year's Day.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

He could be a problem. He plays as a True freshman on a team making a transition to the spread, and makes the SEC all Freshman team, but decides he is not catching enough balls? This doesn't count the critical drops the guy had when the game was on the line. Great talent on the kid, but when you do what he did as a freshman and the kid is not happy, that is the last thing this team needs is an "I" player instead of "team" player.

He could be a problem.  He plays as a True freshman on a team making a transition to the spread, and makes the SEC all Freshman team, but decides he is not catching enough balls?  This doesn't count the critical drops the guy had when the game was on the line.  Great talent on the kid, but when you do what he did as a freshman and the kid is not happy, that is the last thing this team needs is an "I" player instead of "team" player.

Maybe you're a little to quick to dismiss him as a "I player". He went to UA expecting to play in a particular type of offense and it ain't happening. Maybe he wants out because he feels he was sold a package that ain't gonna be.

Damian Williams is a 4 star recruit.. I was just watching his recruiting video and he looked like a man amongst boys.. The high school he is from, Springdale, Ak, has a weird stadium too btw, they have a fence about 5 feet from out of bounds, that goes around the entire field

He went to UA expecting to play in a particular type of offense and it ain't happening. Maybe he wants out because he feels he was sold a package that ain't gonna be.

Arkansas has a reputation of misleading players to get them to sign.

This quartet from Springdale (I'm including Coach Mulzan) are at the top of the talent pool. Our hs played them in 2005 - they gave us a clinic. Ran a spead NFL style no huddle offense. Those kids were amazing.

Mustang was going to Notre Dame and Williams was headed to either Miami or ND, before AR hired their coach to be their OC.

Any of this group would be quality players for UNT.

I have a big problem with someone who's mommy and daddy go to the AD to complain about the offense of a Top 10 team with a Heisman caliber running back.

If you don't like the situation, leave. Whining about not being a focal point when your team just played for SEC championship reeks of "me first". Pass.

Maybe you're a little to quick to dismiss him as a "I player". He went to UA expecting to play in a particular type of offense and it ain't happening. Maybe he wants out because he feels he was sold a package that ain't gonna be.

Maybe....however, he went there because he believed the Spread was going to be installed and his "buddies" and coach were going there. The Spread takes a little while to implement when you are a running team, as we will soon see. Their offensive schemes were vastly improved this year from last year as Gus has been named the OC of the year by Rivals. At the same time, if you read about it, they will tell you that you will see more of the spread next year and then the next.

Arkansas has a reputation of misleading players to get them to sign.

This quartet from Springdale (I'm including Coach Mulzan) are at the top of the talent pool.  Our hs played them in 2005 - they gave us a clinic.  Ran a spead NFL style no huddle offense.  Those kids were amazing.

Mustang was going to Notre Dame and Williams was headed to either Miami or ND, before AR hired their coach to be their OC.

Any of this group would be quality players for UNT.

A history at Arkansas? I would bet it is a history at any big school. Coaches will pretty much tell you anything to try and get someone to sign at their school.

Williams however, had committed to Florida, not Miami or ND.

I have a big problem with someone who's mommy and daddy go to the AD to complain about the offense of a Top 10 team with a Heisman caliber running back. 

If you don't like the situation, leave.  Whining about not being a focal point when your team just played for SEC championship reeks of "me first".  Pass.

Bingo. That it is the simple truth.

I'm beginning to be concerned that all the disgruntled ("look at me!, look at me!") would-be star athletes are going to be trying to transfer and/or making inquires about transferring to North Texas.

All that's going to do is cause TD too many distractions just sorting things (and their stories) out. TD is going to have a hard enough time getting up to speed as a D-1 coach.

He (and we) don't need a bunch of TO's here.

Edited by SilverEagle

Didn't someone post here the Dodge's Spread Offense acutally runs more often than passes by about 52% - 48%? I might be getting that mixed up with something else!

The idea of the Spread is that is spreads defenders out all over the field which opens up both passing and running.

Players looking for more passes might be surprised at how it works!

Edited by VideoEagle

Didn't someone post here the Dodge's Spread Offense acutally runs more often than passes by about 52% - 48%? I might be getting that mixed up with something else!

The idea of the Spread is that is spreads defenders out all over the field which opens up both passing and running.

Players looking for more passes might be surprised at how it works!

Yep, thats exactly how it works. I think TDs O this year was 57-43 in favor of the run. The extremes in each direction would be Tech who throws 75% of the time and Dickey who runs 75% of the time and neither one of them can win consistently enough to do anything great.