Snead considering visit to UNT !

MeanGreen61

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from a site on Rivals.com evaluating the UT quarterbacks.

Who's next at Texas?

January 09, 2006

Jevan Snead, Stephenville

Class: Incoming freshman

Height, weight: 6-3, 205

Strengths: Snead has strong leadership skills. Ex-UT quarterback and Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge, who coached Snead in Saturday's U.S. Army All-American Bowl, said, "He just has a good look in his eyes." Snead has good field awareness and a quick release. He carries the ball under his chin, and when he makes a decision, the ball is gone. He's a student of the game who will enroll early at UT next week, giving him a chance to go through spring football.

Weaknesses: He has to make film study a main focus in college. The speed of the game is going to change, and he must adapt to that, said his high school coach, Chad Morris. Snead will also have to get better at reading defenses.

High school: A two-year starter who also started Stephenville's last three games as a sophomore...He was named Parade All-American after throwing for 3,562 yards and 36 touchdowns while leading Stephenville to the Class 4A Division I state semifinals. Snead threw for 7,391 yards, 72 touchdowns and just 14 interceptions for his high school career. ... Snead outperformed the more heralded Mitch Mustain (Springdale, Ark.) in Saturday's U.S. Army Bowl, completing seven of 16 passes for 133 yards and two touchdowns. ... Snead is No. 10 overall on Rivals.com's Texas 100. He is the second highest-rated quarterback in the state behind Highland Park's Matthew Stafford.

January 09, 2006

Ex-UT quarterback and Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge, who coached Snead in Saturday's U.S. Army All-American Bowl

Was Dodge an assistant in the all-star game last year? I didn't realize he was part of the staff at that game. Perhaps that will make it easier for him to not get to do it this year although it would have been as head coach. I still think NT will get some media from it and him being gone.

Bingo. This is a guy who was one of the top recruits in the country. Visions of the NFL dancing in his head - the best player on every team he's been on... like illuvius said, if Snead just took his backup role without a fuss, and sat quietly on the bench behind Colt McCoy for four years, THAT'S worth questioning. It's really nice and "White Shadow" for us to say "get out there and earn it, kid, fight for that starting job!"... but that's just not how it always works. As Quoner said, Mack is the LAST coach who can afford to flip flop QBs, and after a hotly contested battle in the spring, the Horns obviously chose McCoy. After beating OU and starting so well for the first half of the year, everyone in the country could see that the good ol' small town Texan with the baby face and perfect name would be the heir apparent in Austin for four years, barring total meltdown or injury. Would it matter that Snead sure threw the ball well with the second team in practice?

He wants to PLAY. Why not find a system and situation that suits him best? Why not find a school that affords him the most playing time? He wants his a-- on the field, and he would instantly be the top QB in the Sun Belt and top 3 in Texas the second he walked on campus. No-freaking-brainer.

UT has the top rated QB recruit in the nation ( John Brantlly ) coming in next year. This is another factor that Snead is aware of and would not assured of the job when McCoy leaves.

I saw Snead play in Denton last year against Sherman, he was very impressive.

December 16 Houston Chronicle article.

Snead likes what he sees at UH

QB is hoping to make decision before January

By MICHAEL MURPHY

Houston Chronicle

Jevan Snead is in Oxford, Miss., visiting the Mississippi Rebels, but the former Texas Longhorns quarterback was impressed by what he saw during Thursday's visit with the Houston Cougars.

"The facilities are great, especially the indoor facility (the Athletics/Alumni Center) and the weight room," Snead said. "And all the coaches really seemed like great people. They know what they're talking about, which should be obvious by the success they've had (winning the Conference USA championship and going to the Liberty Bowl). I was excited to be there."

Snead, a freshman who also is considering Louisville, would like to transfer at midterm, but he's going to digest everything before making a decision.

"I'm going to take my time," Snead said. "I have a lot of things I need to figure out. Hopefully, I'll make my decision before January. That would be ideal."

After losing the battle to Colt McCoy to become Texas' starting quarterback this season, Snead decided to transfer.

"I don't think it's going to be just one thing," said Snead of what he's weighing when choosing a new school. "It's going to be the whole place, the whole environment. I want my family to be involved (in the decision), too.

"I'm just looking for a program that I can win in. And I'd like to go to a place where I can use my skills and then make it to the next level (in the NFL)."

Edited by MeanGreen61