How important is signing Riley Dodge next year?

MeanGreenZen

It is of the utmost importance that Riley Dodge follow his dad to North Texas. Todd Dodge’s credibility from a recruiting standpoint is at stake.

How can Daddy Dodge go into any top recruit’s house and ask them to come to North Texas if UNT isn’t even good enough for his own son? Riley was dodging questions about this issue in a Star-Telegram article about the hiring and that is not good news.

We all know Riley is a wonderful high school quarterback, but from what I’ve heard he is a marginal Division IA prospect. That is good news for UNT. He is listed at 6 foot, but I understand he is closer to 5’9 (yeah, yeah… Doug Flutie…short QBs can still be good… blah, blah, blah).

From a public relations standpoint, his commitment to UNT is absolutely necessary. He is a big name player and his early commitment (hopefully this summer) can help UNT build a strong ’08 recruiting class.

Now it won’t hurt UNT if Riley signs with SFA, Texas State or someone like that, but he absolutely cannot commit or sign with another Division IA school. That would make Todd Dodge and the UNT football team look really bad.

Now it won’t hurt UNT if Riley signs with SFA, Texas State or someone like that, but he absolutely cannot commit or sign with another Division IA school. That would make Todd Dodge and the UNT football team look really bad.

Or it will make it look like the kid wants to spread his wings a bit and get out of the nest.

It will NOT be the end of the world if Riley does not come here next year. TD's camps bring in something like over 250 top QBs from all across the country each year ( read it somewhere). Im sure he has plenty of QB contact's and QB's who would want to sign on with him.

Let's also put yourself in an 18 year old's body. Do you want to go away and become your own man ? Or do you want to go to college with your Dad knowing about your every move and still having to anwser to him. It's just as much as a "man thing " as it is a "football thing"

If Riley does not come here , I have no problem with it ( unless it's SMU) because I know TD will be able to get just about any QB he really wants.

Or it will make it look like the kid wants to spread his wings a bit and get out of the nest.

That's not how teams recruiting against North Texas will paint it. Imagine a top WR prospect deciding between TCU and UNT, the TCU recruiter will be in the kid's ear saying things like, "Why would you want to go to UNT and play for Todd Dodge? That place is so bad Dodge wouldn't even send his own kid there (Or that place is so bad Dodge's own son didn't want to go there").

Of course, if Riley goes somewhere else UNT will try to put a positive spin on it, but I think it would be wildly better if we just signed him and avoided that situation all together.

Dodge has the connections. When the DMN said it would open a recruiting 'pipeline' to Denton, they weren't kidding. He practically has a state full of great prospects that will now give serious thought of coming to Denton.

RV and the Gang caught lightning in a bottle here. It's gonna be a wild ride and it's gonna be fun to watch. And when Dodge goes down I-35 to coach Texas in 6 years, he'll leave our program in excellent shape.

I feel it, folks. We're going to see something special happen over the next few years.

That's a silly post. That won't make our football team look bad nor will it make Todd Dodge look bad. Like metioned above, maybe he wants to leave the nest. As good of a QB as he is, he probably will go to another D1 school. But in NO way will it make UNT look bad if his son doesn't go here.

Dad is a UT alum, mom is a UNT alum; I wouldn't see it as a total loss if Riley went to UT, he would just be doing what is in his best interest. Riley will go where Riley wants to go. Don't worry about TD finding a qb if Riley doesn't come, we'll still have a good one.

Dad is a UT alum, mom is a UNT alum; I wouldn't see it as a total loss if Riley went to UT, he would just be doing what is in his best interest. Riley will go where Riley wants to go. Don't worry about TD finding a qb if Riley doesn't come, we'll still have a good one.

The question is, will Riley start at UT? I don't think so. Would he start at UNT? Oh yeah!

It is of the utmost importance that Riley Dodge follow his dad to North Texas. Todd Dodge’s credibility from a recruiting standpoint is at stake.

How can Daddy Dodge go into any top recruit’s house and ask them to come to North Texas if UNT isn’t even good enough for his own son? Riley was dodging questions about this issue in a Star-Telegram article about the hiring and that is not good news.

We all know Riley is a wonderful high school quarterback, but from what I’ve heard he is a marginal Division IA prospect. That is good news for UNT. He is listed at 6 foot, but I understand he is closer to 5’9 (yeah, yeah… Doug Flutie…short QBs can still be good… blah, blah, blah).

From a public relations standpoint, his commitment to UNT is absolutely necessary. He is a big name player and his early commitment (hopefully this summer) can help UNT build a strong ’08 recruiting class.

I don't understand the gist of your argument. Why would we want Riley if he is only a "marginal D1A prospect." I thought we are trying to get away from mediocrity?

Elway did not play for father when in college.. John went to Stamford... His father was coach at San Jose or Fresno State if I remember correctly.

Jack Elway coached at San Jose State. They beat Stanford in John's junior and senior year while he was the starting QB.

Same thing will happen here if Riley goes to Rice or SMU. We will BEAT whoever!!! cool.gif

I don't understand the gist of your argument. Why would we want Riley if he is only a "marginal D1A prospect." I thought we are trying to get away from mediocrity?

He's considered a Marginal prospect at QB, but a good prospect at ATHLETE. Just like the Cedar Hill QB William Cole is below marginal prospect at QB, but is a fantastic prospect at ATHLETE.

He's saying that if Riley is really good is will be of utmost importance to sign him. If he's not very good, then it will make UNT look bad and he should go to SAF or TSU.

Its a very sneaky way to talk out of both sides of your mouth, and always be right. A very clever technique indeed.

Um no.

First of all, his son is a decent prospect, but not the all world player you make him out to be. Second of all, I think if he came to UNT it would make Dodge look bad. If his son is a marginal D1 pospect he shouldn't be playing at UNT, period. Besides, would you want to go to a university where you dad is coaching at? The young man may want to get out from under his father.

He's saying that if Riley is really good is will be of utmost importance to sign him.  If he's not very good, then it will make UNT look bad and he should go to SAF or TSU.

Its a very sneaky way to talk out of both sides of your mouth, and always be right.  A very clever technique indeed.

He did say, "but from what I’ve heard he is a marginal Division IA prospect. That is good news for UNT." I guess I missed his point.

He did say, "but from what I’ve heard he is a marginal Division IA prospect. That is good news for UNT."  I guess I missed his point.

--I think size is his "problem"... not talent... most colleges are wanting taller QBs. Smaller QBs can thrive in some systems but not all. Apparently he fits his father's style of offense but might not some others..... Remember Doug Flute and Fran Tarkington... both were fairly short and most places did not want them but they were successful.

---John Elway did not play at the college that his father coached. Size obviously was not an issue with him.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Of course no one would think bad of UNT if Riley signed with the Texas Longhorns or any other top BCS program. No one expects UNT to compete with those teams for recruits. However, all indications are that Riley is not the caliber of prospect a UT would sign.

But if Riley signs with another non-BCS Division IA team (Rice, Tulsa, TCU, SMU, Houston, etc) then UNT and Todd Dodge would look bad. If Riley signs with a Division I-AA or Division II team then it wouldn't matter because he wouldn't be a Division I-A athlete.

Does that read like I am speaking with a forked tongue?

By the way, Jack Elway was only an average college football coach and John Elway was a losing college quarterback. Art Briles was only a assistant coach when his son signed with Texas and his son transferred almost immediately when his dad got the Houston gig.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro