QB Situation

BobFam

I can't help but think we already have our future QB for the next 4 years. I think he's perfect for what Coach Dodge is about to do. He's only going to get better and we have him for 4 more years.

From the DRC - 8-18-06

....Tune’s stock has gone up since he committed to the Mean Green. He had a solid showing in the Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star Game, throwing for 108 yards and accounting for two touchdowns.

Tune scored on a 1-yard run and also threw a 29-yard touchdown pass to Clint Renfro.

“The all-star game helped me,” Tune said. “We ran a spread offense. That opened my eyes to some of the mechanics of playing quarterback and working with players with more speed.”

Tune’s performance in the all-star game was all the more impressive considering he hasn’t played quarterback for long. He played wide receiver as a junior at Celina before moving to quarterback as a senior.

“Not a lot of colleges thought I would be able to play quarterback because I played at a 2A high school that didn’t throw the ball that much,” Tune said. “I was done at halftime of most of my high school games because they were blowouts.”

Tune has fit right in at UNT and said he was more comfortable the longer he played in the scrimmage......

Young, hard working, good size (6'3" X 190lbs), good speed, and malleable. Sounds like the kind of QB that Dodge might be looking for.

Of course, Daniel Maeger pretty much fits the same profile. And Phillips does too,.....except for the good speed part.

So, Dodge has at least two (possibly three) good prospects to work with.

Honestly what I saw of Tune from the scrimmages was that he was just as good if not better than MayDay, Phillips, and Wilson. This was as a true freshman and all he needed was someone who could groom him, that day is here...

I like Tune as well, but I don't see him starting for at least another year maybe 2. I think Meager is out of the running for starting QB though he will get his shot. I think Woody will win out and we will run a spread option look. Phillips is my 2nd favorite and if TD runs a standard spread look for him to win. He has the best vision and can read defenses better than the other 2 not to mention he has the best arm. Its too bad he has the least speed. I think Tune will need time to learn to read defenses and I think TD will groom him to start after Phillips, Meager, and Woody graduate.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Malleable? blink.gif  I take that to mean he's tough.  I prefer to use the term "galvanized".  Tough, will not rust type quarterback.

Gosh, industrial minds think alike. huh.gif

While malleable does sort of mean tough, it also means that he can be molded; in other words he's coachable. Perfect description.

I was at that scrimmage and NT.....as in Nathan Tune looked very good. As I remember, I came back from that scrimmage and asked here on GMG.com...."Why in hell is this kid a walk on?". Then to realize the embarrassment of him being announced two weeks earlier in that All Star game as a "Walk On" at North Texas and nearly winning the MVP of that game. Just like JQ, this could be another one of our luck-out finds for the future.

I can't help but point this out:

“After TCU and SMU mentioned walking on, they didn’t really talk to me,” Tune said. “I didn’t feel like they were interested and I thought I might have a role here.”

I know I'm just guessing here, but I can't help but wonder if expense had to of played a part as well in his decision to walk on at NT compared to TCU/SMU. As Harry has pointed out numerous times before, our walk-on program is where we hold the advantage over both of them because of the excessive amount of tuition required to attend there compared to that of a state school.

Rick

I was at that scrimmage and NT.....as in Nathan Tune looked very good.  As I remember, I came back from that scrimmage and asked here on GMG.com...."Why in hell is this kid a walk on?".  Then to realize the embarrassment of him being announced two weeks earlier in that All Star game as a "Walk On" at North Texas and nearly winning the MVP of that game.  Just like JQ, this could be another one of our luck-out finds for the future.

I can't help but point this out:

I know I'm just guessing here, but I can't help but wonder if expense had to of played a part as well in his decision to walk on at NT compared to TCU/SMU.  As Harry has pointed out numerous times before, our walk-on program is where we hold the advantage over both of them because of the excessive amount of tuition required to attend there compared to that of a state school.

Rick

we could be whisteling a newTUNE.

Last time I saw/asked Tune, he was 6'4" and 205. Yes, he is a great fit for TD offense and vice versa. But, he knows that TD will attract top flight QBs now and will have to work his tail off to earn playing time. Daniel, Matt and Woody could also develop under TD. Its a new day and everybody is starting over in terms of proving themselves.

With so many returning starters and TD coming in to refocus/re-energize this team, I would not be surprised if we challenge for the SBC title next year! I am serious!!

Don't be too surprised if you hear of a current UNT QB seeking a transfer. I'm not betting the cattle ranch on such a story, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

FWIW, the DRC reported that Mr. Snead from Bevo-ville is now considering North Texas. If he were to come here, one of the current three would be out of luck.

Who do I want to win the starting job? Whoever can lead the MG the end zone consistently. Of the current three, I would tend to agree with those who say Phillips would win the job.

Wilson will likely convert to DB.

If he loses the starting job I would hope he would be open to that, but remember why he didn't go to the bigger schools. It was because DD promised him that he would be a QB here. I still think you will see a very tough battle between WW and Phillips for the starting job. It will probably go all the way into the fall.

If he loses the starting job I would hope he would be open to that, but remember why he didn't go to the bigger schools.  It was because DD promised him that he would be a QB here. I still think you will see a very tough battle between WW and Phillips for the starting job.  It will probably go all the way into the fall.

I think it will most likely go into the fall as well as TD doesn't know these guys. I also think WW may go to defensive back (if he is so inclined) if another QB either transfers here or is recruited. A friend & I discussed this over a plate of enchiladas earlier this evening. If he isn't so inclined, he may be out of luck. The QB promise is gone with DD-- good, bad or ugly, that's just the way it is.

Again, don't be surprised if you hear of a current QB seeking a transfer. Should a current UNT QB decide to transfer, it'll likely be to a I-AA program. Given a transfer or recruit, one of them may find no other choice.