Spread Offense

Coach

I got into this on another thread, but it deserves it's own.

Dragons Run the Ball Too

Let's talk about the offense Todd Dodge brings to the table. It is very famous for putting points on the board and for producing great numbers for QBs. However, it is far from one dimensional. This season RB Tre Newton is approaching 1800 yards rushing, and last week in a win over Colleyville Heritage, he rushed for 297 yards on 41 carries. Obviously he isn't afraid to feed his feature back and kill the clock. His son Riley has also rushed for a few yards this year, many on broken down pass plays, but he does call some speed option and I don't know that I have seen it, but I'm sure he has other things like a QB sweep or iso or the counter read.

What I have seen from Dodge at SLC over the last few years, and the stats seem to back, is that he will spread the field with his formations and then he just goes after the defense. He clearly knows how to design plays that will cause problems for a particular opponent's scheme or personnel, and then gashes them. His players also execute their roles very well.

The Spread Myth

I just think so many fans hear "spread" and think Mike Leach, but as I pointed out in another thread, the numbers tell a completely different story. Using this year's total plays:

SLC - 43% Pass - 57% Run

TT - 76% Pass - 24% Run

So what exactly does spread offense mean? It just means the team utilizes multiple receivers, most of the time in place of the traditional fullback and tightend. Obviously it is a very broad term, and applies to many different offensive styles many of which have little in common.

I think Dodge will have an offense in place that caters to the personnel he has now, and that gives the opposition the most problems. I think there is a big place for Jamario in this offense, and whoever wins the QB battle will have schemes that fit him.

I just wanted to open up a discussion of what we think the offense may be like, while dispelling the myth that it will be a Texas Tech style offense, simply because it is called a spread.

Yep! For a reference on other spread offense types, pop in a tape of Urban Meyer's team at Utah. They ran zone reads, weird double options, crazy end arounds, and even a "wide reciever draw" out of the shotgun spread. More wide receivers does not necessarily mean 75% passes.

Probably means double the passes from years past, though.

Here are some things I noticed when I saw SLC play Trinity.

SLC never got under center.

SLC never used more than one back.

SLC never used a tight end.

I will be taking a lot more notes this week, but I just happend to notice that a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by Coach

Oklahoma runs teh spread option which definitely uses the run. I can see that being utilized with Jamario.

Dodge would be an idiot not to use his best offensive player. Good coaches adjust gameplan and offenses to personel. I suspect Dodge knows what he has on offense and will ride Jmo's back this next season. I know I would, it's the safest & smartest thing to do.

Can you imagine the spread option with WW & Jmo? It has potential to be a poorman's version of Steve Slaton & Pat White. smile.gifcool.gif

I would like to see Wilson and Jamario in the backfield running option plays from the gun.  Talk about keeping the defense honest and opening up the pass.  If a safety has to worry about option responsibility as well as his coverages, it can't hurt the offense any.

I have dreams every night of that 60yd run El Pesidente pulled off against SMUt smile.gif . He saw a crease and hit it like a bat out of hell. Cutting across the field and hit the front pylon at the corner of the endzone.

Hopefully, Dodge will find ways to use that.

I have dreams every night of that 60yd run El Pesidente pulled off against SMUt smile.gif . He saw a crease and hit it like a bat out of hell. Cutting across the field and hit the front pylon at the corner of the endzone.

Hopefully, Dodge will find ways to use that.

I too often think about that 60 yard run. But then I think...did he make the right reads?

SLC lined up in a grand total of 2 formations today.

X----------TGCGT----------X

-----X------------------x

---------------Q--H

and

X----------TGCGT------------------X

-------------------------x------x

---------------Q--H

Newton would switch sides before the play. I wasn't paying close enough attention to see if this was always the playside for passes or not.

They ran some crossing patterns (good against man or zone), some hitches (looked to be about 5-7 yards, but I was in the endzone and it was hard to tell the depth), and then a steady diet of shovel passes and counters to Newton. I can only think of once they really tried to go up top, and they lined up in the trips set and threw the fade to the single receiver. It was underthrown and picked off.

Not many formations, and good balance from Dodge. He designed a gameplan that would work, and the kids executed.

SLC lined up in a grand total of 2 formations today.

X----------TGCGT----------X

-----X------------------x

---------------Q--H

and

X----------TGCGT------------------X

-------------------------x------x

---------------Q--H

Newton would switch sides before the play.  I wasn't paying close enough attention to see if this was always the playside for passes or not.

They ran some crossing patterns (good against man or zone), some hitches (looked to be about 5-7 yards, but I was in the endzone and it was hard to tell the depth), and then a steady diet of shovel passes and counters to Newton.  I can only think of once they really tried to go up top, and they lined up in the trips set and threw the fade to the single receiver.  It was underthrown and picked off.

Not many formations, and good balance from Dodge.  He designed a gameplan that would work, and the kids executed.

I loved the shuttle passes to Newton, which you pointed out were similar to what Urban Myer does in that situation. Carrol had Allen spread out and the shuttle to Newton tore them up for 8 yards plus nearly every time. I'm not sure I ever saw Cobbs or SPJMo take a shuttle pass? Anyone else?

Rick