Dodge High on SLC's Bell twins

Buford_Julep

This is a cut and paste from Thursday DaMN's High School Sports Day:

SPORTSDAY

High Schools:

Top Stories

By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

SOUTHLAKE – Southlake Carroll football coach Todd Dodge said Anthony and Arius Ford are two of the most competitive and savvy athletes he has coached.

The fraternal twins take on all challenges, even if it's naming the mascots of high school teams from around the state.

Dodge said he prides himself on knowing most of the mascots. He said he also likes to quiz his players on, say, what Itasca's mascot is.

"Anthony and Arius are the two best on my team," Dodge said. "I'll stump them sometime. I'm trying to train them. They have to keep the tradition alive, and they're the best I've found."

That's not surprising, Dodge said, because Anthony and Arius have a way of distinguishing themselves, whether it's on the field or in the classroom.

Anthony, a 5-9, 170-pound senior wide receiver, leads Carroll with 81 catches and is second on the team in receiving yards with 959. He has a 93 average academically.

Arius, a 5-9, 180-pound cornerback, is a captain and has four interceptions. He has a 92 average in the classroom.

"They're special kids," Dodge said, "and very good football players."

Arius started 16 games at cornerback as a sophomore on Carroll's state championship team. Arius' strong play helped him earn the district's defensive sophomore of the year honor. Arius grew up as a running back, but Dodge moved him to cornerback as a sophomore.

"It was pretty natural for me," Arius said.

Arius missed most of last season after breaking his right ankle in Carroll's second game. Anthony replaced his brother on defense.

But the Fords are back in their comfort zones – Arius, who usually covers the opposing offense's top receiver, and Anthony, a slot receiver who excels in big games.

Anthony led Carroll with seven catches for 96 yards and a touchdown in its 33-7 win Saturday against Colleyville Heritage.

"Finally getting back to receiver this year has been a whole lot of fun," Anthony said.

Dodge said Anthony is a strong blocker and reminds him of a slot receiver in the University of Houston's Run-and-Shoot days.

Carroll quarterback Riley Dodge said Anthony is nearly impossible to cover one-on-one.

"He's very elusive, and he's very creative in what he does," Riley Dodge said. "He's my go-to guy."

Anthony said he doesn't run typical routes.

"I try not to run routes you'd draw up on a chalkboard or ones in straight lines," Anthony said. "I try to set up defenders and use some double moves. I try to put some doubt in the defenders' minds so I can get open."

Todd Dodge said Anthony and Arius rarely match up in practice. When they were younger, their father would have Arius defend Anthony on pass routes.

Dodge said he could remember only two instances when the brothers have faced off.

"When it happens, everyone on the practice field knows it," Dodge said, "and everyone turns and watches."

The twins said they're even in practice, with Anthony catching a pass once and Arius defending the pass the other time.

The Fords aren't used to a 50-50 success rate. They usually get the better of whomever they challenge.

"Their potential is unlimited at the next level," Todd Dodge said. "They're so versatile. There are so many things they can do for you."

They can even tell you that the mascot for Itasca is – of course – the Wampus Cats.

E-mail bgeorge@dallasnews.com

3 ANTHONY FORD

Position: Wide receiver

Class: Senior

Height, weight: 5-9, 170

2006 statistics: Team-high 81 catches for 959 yards and 10 touchdowns, three carries for 37 yards.

Favorite NFL team: Washington Redskins. "I have family in D.C."

Notable: Anthony was born 22 minutes before Arius. ... He started playing football in second grade. ... Anthony said Army, Georgetown, Northwestern and SMU are recruiting him. "Anybody would be real lucky to get them," Todd Dodge said. "Both have 36-inch verticals, 22-foot long jumps and are quick, fast and smart." ... Anthony is a member of the National Honor Society. ... He also competes on the track team (he does the triple jump and 4x100 relay).

21 ARIUS FORD

Position: Cornerback

Class: Senior

Height, weight: 5-9, 180

2006 statistic: Four interceptions

Favorite NFL team: Tennessee Titans. "I always liked the Houston Oilers, and then they moved to Tennessee, so I stuck with them."

Notable: His father, Monte, played baseball at Northeastern University. Monte Ford attends games wearing a football jersey with 321 on one side and 213 on the opposite side. The numbers are a combination of his sons' uniform numbers (Anthony wears No. 3, and Arius wears No. 21). ... Arius said Georgetown, Arkansas and Wake Forest are recruiting him. ... Arius started playing football in third grade. ... He is a member of the National Honor Society.