SLC "better" facilities, attendace, etc.?

NCMeanGreen

I have been hearing and reading quite a bit about the "fact" that Southlake Carroll has better facilities and bigger crowds at the games than UNT does.

Now, it has been a good number of years that I have lived in Texas...and I actually went to HS in the state of MD (football not NEARLY as big a deal there like in TX). But, we are still talking about HS football here. Can you actually tell me that we are in that bad of a situation that a HS program reigns king over a D-IA football program?

You mean to tell me that a HS has land and buildings that can even compare to what we have at the Athletic Village???? I do not mean to be so sensitive, it just seems like it is such a pervasive and perpetual argument.

Is there a valid argument here? What is the deal here???

No it's not true. This is just the "truth" that those who haven't stepped foot on our campus (some of them alumni) in years believe. It's also a way to continue pretending that NT is the step-child in DFW when everyone (especially the ponies and frogs) knows what we are capable of if we'd just band together and get motivated.

And, if I am not mistaken, Dallas Cowboys use their indoor practice facility. I know when I went over there to Southlake for the Ryan Playoff games, that was a very nice stadium.

As far as fans go, they don't get as many to their games as we get on an avg. There were like 46k that showed up for the Trinity/SLC playoff game this year, but that is not normal. Thier stadium only seats 12,000 I believe.

I believe, I really believe, that if we get out and start really pushing this program, add in the fact that we will now have a fun and exciting offense to watch, we can easliy average 20k+ if not around 25k. Call me crazy, but I think we can.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

As far as the field itself, yes...Dragon Stadium is better. Fouts only beats it in capacity.

But for the facilities themselves, I'd see about touring the new athletics complex. You'll be suprised.

The field itself??? Did we not just replace our field with that synthetic grass system? I was able to attend the FAU game, and the field looked pretty darn nice to me...

It's just ignorance that's all. Yes, they have an indoor practice facility, and yes they have an extremely nice 9,000 seat stadium (the Collins Complex in Denton is bigger). But the attendance talk, the "lateral" salary move, the "better athletes" at Carroll than at NT talk...is all total BS, and anyone with any football knowledge at all knows it.

Just because they wear Under Armour jerseys doesn't mean they're bigger, better, or richer than ANY D-1 program.

The Cowboys using SLC's indoor facility prior to building their own should tell you how Southlake supports their high school. The stadium is nice, but only seats around 9,000.

The attendance for the SLC/Trinity game, while impressive, is skewed. There was one or two other games there that day, so I'm sure some of the attendance was due to these other teams fans.

Dragon Stadium

Year Open 2001

Capacity 7,500

user posted image

Fouts Field

Year Open 1952

Capacity 30,500

user posted image

Dragon Stadium was expanded in '04 to 11,000. It's 49 years newer than Fouts, so of course it's nicer. Any sellouts they had this year at DS (I don't know how many) would have surpassed UNT's last home game vs. FAU and matched the previous one vs. La. Tech. Can't say I'm proud of that.

Guest JohnDenver

Any sellouts they had this year at DS (I don't know how many) would have surpassed UNT's last home game vs. FAU and matched the previous one vs. La. Tech. Can't say I'm proud of that.

You are petty.

Let's see TCU's attendance after two VERY terrible seasons ... playing FAU.

No one around here is proud of that.

Given me a 55 game winning streak and I would imagine we would be outselling SLC.

Your logic makes no sense. "I can't say I am proud of that."

The attendance for the SLC/Trinity game, while impressive, is skewed. There was one or two other games there that day, so I'm sure some of the attendance was due to these other teams fans.

Also, the 47,000 reported was only paid attendance. So none of the coaches that got in free with their THSCA card counted. I would say there was over 50,000 for that game. Most left after the SLC game, but the games after it certainly didn't hurt the attendance.

I think when people say "better" they mean relatively. Otherwise they are way off.

Your logic makes no sense. "I can't say I am proud of that."

You should have said: "Your logic makes no sense....... to me."

Made plenty of logical sense on my end. Of course you are comparing an undefeated defending state champion to a team in a down year in an less-than-thrilling conference. Granted. But you are still comparing a high school football team to a NCAA Division I football team. I understand it, but I'm not proud of it, either.

Dragon Stadium was expanded in '04 to 11,000. It's 49 years newer than Fouts, so of course it's nicer. Any sellouts they had this year at DS (I don't know how many) would have surpassed UNT's last home game vs. FAU and matched the previous one vs. La. Tech. Can't say I'm proud of that.

Someone asked you this question on another thread and you either didn't see it or chose to ignore it, so I will ask again.

What would TCU's attendance be if they were hosting 4 or 5 Sun Belt schools a year?

I'll add another question:

What would TCU's attendance be hosting SBC teams and having the recent, last 30 years, history that North Texas has had?