North Texas hires Dodge from Carroll High

MootPoint

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2695177

Updated: Dec. 12, 2006, 10:41 PM ET

North Texas hires Dodge from Carroll HighAssociated Press

DENTON, Texas -- Todd Dodge was hired as coach at North Texas on Tuesday, making the rare jump from high school to Division I-A after an unprecedented run of success at Southlake Carroll.

Dodge, a former Texas quarterback, has coached Carroll to a 77-1 record in Texas' highest classification. The Dragons have won 46 consecutive games and are two wins from their third straight state title and fourth in five years. They have a 50-game regular-season winning streak and are the only school to win a state title in their first year in Class 5A.

. . .

The Dragons have been generating that kind of buzz for a several years with their four-receiver, no-huddle spread offense, also known as "Dodge Ball."

But Dodge is confident that the excitement he created in the high school ranks can be brought to North Texas because of the wealth of recruiting talent in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

"I think this will be a team the metroplex will embrace," Dodge said. "I want this to be a team people will be excited to come out and watch play."

If the hiring of a high school coach to run a Division I program raises questions, it won't be the first time Dodge's credentials were scrutinized.

He had a losing record as a head coach when he started at Carroll, which won a state-record 72 straight regular-season games in smaller classifications from 1986-94. Dodge lost his first three games, but he's 96-8 since.

The latest triggerman -- Dodge's son, Riley -- has the Dragons rolling along at 14-0 heading into the Class 5A Division II semifinals Saturday against Allen. He will now have a different coach for his senior season next year, but the family won't have to move. Dodge's new office will be about 20 miles north of his old one, and his decision will raise questions about a possible reunion in college.

Todd Dodge will coach Carroll through its playoff run, and Riley Dodge will remain at Carroll to play his senior season.

Riley Dodge's two predecessors landed at Division I schools, highlighted by Chase Daniel, the Missouri starter who led the Tigers to a 6-0 start and will play in the Brut Sun Bowl in El Paso in a couple weeks. Riley Dodge is projected as one of the state's top quarterback prospects for the 2008 recruiting season, according to Jeremy Crabtree of rivals.com.

"I'm going to continue weighing my options," Riley Dodge said. "There are a couple of schools I've been looking at. But North Texas has to be way up there now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2695177

"I'm going to continue weighing my options," Riley Dodge said. "There are a couple of schools I've been looking at. But North Texas has to be way up there now."

biggrin.gif Maybe Coach/Dad Dodge can threaten to Ground his son if he does not come to UNT biggrin.gif

Edited by El Paso Eagle