NT picks new football coach

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...13.405c6af.html

NT picks new football coach

11:59 PM CST on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

When Southlake Carroll High School head coach Todd Dodge first talked to University of North Texas athletic director Rick Villarreal about coaching the Mean Green, some fond memories came rushing back.

Dodge was at UNT for only two seasons as an assistant coach, but it was a time that helped convince him to leave behind one of the most successful high school programs in the country to return to the college level and take over a program he believes is full of potential.

Dodge, 43, was introduced in front of a crowd of more than 100 at the Mean Green Athletic Center on Tuesday night as UNT’s 16th head coach.

“Ever since I coached here in 1992 and 1993 and I left, it was two of my favorite years in 21 years of coaching,” Dodge said. “I enjoyed coaching the college-level athlete. … North Texas can turn into the metroplex’s team. This place has unbelievable upside. I am not telling anyone anything they don’t know.”

Dodge replaced former head coach Darrell Dickey, who was fired in the middle of his ninth season with the Mean Green on Nov. 8.

More than 100 coaches applied to replace Dickey before UNT selected Dodge because of his history of success and approach to the game.

“When we starting doing this, I wanted to make sure that we thought about the kids first,” Villarreal said. “What showed through in his interview was his affection for his kids.”

Dodge has quickly become a commodity on the coaching market because of his success at Carroll.

The Dragons won state championships in 2002, 2004 and 2005 in addition to winning the USA Today national title in 2004 and the Prepnation.com title in 2005.

Carroll will play Allen High School on Saturday at Texas Stadium for a spot in this season’s Class 5A Division I championship game.

Dodge interviewed with Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells for a job as an assistant last year before deciding to remain at his position at Carroll.

Dodge will finish his season at Carroll before taking over at UNT and building a staff that he said could include some current Mean Green assistants.

The possibility of coaching two more games at Carroll has special meaning for Dodge because his son, Riley, is the Dragons’ starting quarterback.

“It was tough to leave Carroll,” Dodge said. “I am very proud of what we have built. I was proud of being part of a place that has great tradition.”

UNT officials think Dodge will help establish a winning legacy with the Mean Green with a high-powered passing offense he installed at Carroll and used in his first stint with the Mean Green. UNT used a run-based offense under Dickey.

Former UNT quarterback Mitch Maher played two seasons under Dodge and went on to become the Mean Green’s all-time leading passer and a member of the school’s Athletic Hall of Fame.

Riley Dodge has thrown for 3,695 yards and 48 touchdowns this season.

“Coach Dodge was a great teacher, motivator and an intense competitor,” Maher said. “His attitude made him fun to play for.”

Dodge met with his new players briefly after his press conference.

“I am really excited,” UNT wide receiver Brandon Jackson said. “It’s a great opportunity for the guys on the team to make plays. I am a receiver, so you know I want to see the ball in the air. It will bring a lot more excitement to the team. More people will come and watch us.”

The opportunity to build another winner on the college level was too attractive for Dodge to pass up, especially after he built Carroll into a national powerhouse.

“Being wanted was the first thing that attracted me to this job,” Dodge said. “We have accomplished all we could at Carroll, and I had the chance to coach my son.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

TODD DODGE

Family: Wife, Elizabeth Dodge; son, Todd “Riley” Dodge; daughter, Molly Dodge.

Previous coaching experience: Southlake Carroll High School, head coach, 2000-present; Keller Fossil Ridge High School, head coach, 1998-2000; Carrollton Newman Smith High School, head coach, 1996-98; Cameron Yoe High School, head coach, 1994-96; University of North Texas, passing game coordinator-quarterbacks/wide receivers coach, 1992-93; McKinney High School, offensive coordinator, 1988-92; quarterbacks/receivers coach, Rockwall High School, 1987-88

Coaching honors: Schutt Sports National Coach of the Year, 2005; USA Today National Coach of the Year, 2004

Team accomplishments: Carroll won the USA Today national championship in 2004 and the Prepnation.com national title in 2005 and has posted a 77-1 record since 2002.

Playing experience: Four-year letterman at quarterback at the University of Texas, ranks ninth all-time in Texas history with 2,791 passing yards.