DMN Poll on Dodge

GreenBat

It doesn't matter who we hired short of Mack Brown there would still be people voting its a bad hire because they think any coach that comes here is taking a step down or if they go to NT then obviously they aren't a good coach, etc. Some people don't see NT being anything more than it is now. We will change that image.

I played there during his tenure as an offensive coordinator and facts are M. Maher the QB at the time did not reach his plateau till S.Kragthorpe came in (Head Coach at Tulsa). We lost too many games by close margins and we had talent. I understand the offense of now SPREAD OFFENSE and see the success that it has in high school and college. Talent has to run the offense. Talent that UNT has slipped on in the past and a real plague to the Football program for awhile.I do not believe that kids are going to be jumping to go to a college where the coach has won a few championships in high school. A bigger name or draw would have been an ideal choice. Is he going to recruit the true talent that could upset some Big 12 teams or the talent that he is comfortable with? The talent in this area and other large cities in Tx is there. I hope he does just dont think the name is going to be a draw for recruits to get us back to where we need to be.

I don't think Mitch agrees with this guy.

Some good posts on that thread so far:

Anything that will get Coach Dodge out of District 5-5A has got to be a good hire!

After Dickey & Flannigan... Fred Flintstone would be a good hire! I think Dodge has a tremendous upside and is well deserving of the opportunity. It is a win/win for both the school and the coach.

UNT is getting a truly classy individual as well as a fine football mind. Consider yourselves lucky! He will have an immediate positive impact on recruiting and will make the Mean Green better immediately. If you get Ron Mendoza for the defense as well, you get double your pleasure. He and Dodge work good together and he will allow Todd to focus on the offense and the rest of the team stuff and leave the defense to Mendoza.

I wish SMU would have hired him.

We in Southlake were hoping to hold on to Coach Dodge for one more year. The lessons his players have learned about hard work, focus and reacting to pressure will serve them well for the rest of their lives. He knows Texas high school football well, and this will be invaluable for recruiting. UNT is lucky to get him, and his hiring will benefit all parties.

I think it has become obvious from the response this hire is getting as to why the announcement was made during a weekday. And this is only the beginning. Great job RV.

Rick