Practice Field renaming requested again

NT80

Dickey, booster propose honoring Smith

Coach, McIngvale suggest fields should be named for deceased quarterback

12:08 AM CST on Monday, December 11, 2006

Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Former North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey and Houston businessman Jim McIngvale will ask the school to rename the football team's practice fields after Andrew Smith, a former UNT quarterback who died in a car accident on Aug. 7, 2004.

The request will be the latest twist in a series of events that has seen the UNT Board of Regents approve naming the fields after McIngvale before honoring the booster's request that they be named after Dickey.

The board is scheduled to meet on Tuesday. UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal did not return a phone call Sunday night seeking comment.

"I want to honor Andrew for all he did for North Texas and make every kid who walks on that field realize how lucky he is to get the chance to succeed, play the game and live life," Dickey said. "All those things were taken away from Andrew in a tragic accident."

McIngvale donated $1 million toward construction of the UNT athletic center in February 2004. UNT planned to recognize the contribution by naming the practice fields after McIngvale.

Those plans changed shortly after Dickey was fired on Nov. 8. Dickey led the Mean Green to the Sun Belt Conference title and the New Orleans Bowl in each season from 2001-04 before UNT suffered a pair of down seasons.

UNT finished 2-9 last year and was 2-7 when Dickey was fired less than a month after he suffered a heart attack on Oct. 12.

McIngvale took out a full-page advertisement in the Denton Record-Chronicle a few days after Dickey was fired that detailed the reasons he believed Dickey's dismissal was unwarranted. McIngvale requested in the advertisement that the fields that were to be named after him be named after Dickey instead.

UNT's Board of Regents voted to honor that request.

"When all of that took place, I was in the middle of the season, trying to finish off and deal with my health," Dickey said. "I was honored, but I thought about it when I had time and had a lengthy conversation with Mr. McIngvale. We thought it would be appropriate to name the fields after Andrew.

McIngvale got to know Smith during his time at UNT that reached its highpoint during the 2002 season. Smith was scheduled to serve as a backup, but was thrust into the starting lineup as a redshirt freshman when starter Scott Hall tore a pectoral muscle in the Mean Green's season opener at Texas.

Smith struggled at times, but led UNT to a 6-0 record in Sun Belt Conference play and a win over Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl.

McIngvale gave Smith a pep talk in the week before the Mean Green's 38-27 win over New Mexico State that clinched the Sun Belt title.

McIngvale stayed in touch with Smith and gave him a job at Gallery Furniture, his store in Houston, the next summer.

"Coach Dickey brought up naming the fields after Andrew," McIngvale said. "I thought it would be a great idea. He was a great young man whose life came to a tragic end. It would be a great way to remember him."

Smith lost the starting job to Hall early in the 2003 season but decided to remain at UNT and compete for the position the next season. Smith was on his way to Denton for the beginning of two-a-day practices before the 2004 campaign when he died in the car accident just outside of College Station.

McIngvale paid for UNT's entire team and coaching staff to travel to Bay City for Smith's funeral, an act of kindness that Andrew Smith Sr. said the family appreciated.

Dickey and McIngvale have contacted the Smith family, which will support the proposal to name the fields after Andrew.

"When coach Dickey told me that he and Mr. McIngvale decided to try to name fields after Andrew, I was blown away," Andrew Smith Sr. said. "For them to honor Andrew in such a manner is a wonderful blessing for our family. … Andrew has received a lot of honors, but this would top them all."

Dickey, booster propose honoring Smith

Coach, McIngvale suggest fields should be named for deceased quarterback

12:08 AM CST on Monday, December 11, 2006

Brett Vito/Staff Writer

Former North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey and Houston businessman Jim McIngvale will ask the school to rename the football team's practice fields after Andrew Smith, a former UNT quarterback who died in a car accident on Aug. 7, 2004.

The request will be the latest twist in a series of events that has seen the UNT Board of Regents approve naming the fields after McIngvale before honoring the booster's request that they be named after Dickey.

The board is scheduled to meet on Tuesday. UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal did not return a phone call Sunday night seeking comment.

"I want to honor Andrew for all he did for North Texas and make every kid who walks on that field realize how lucky he is to get the chance to succeed, play the game and live life," Dickey said. "All those things were taken away from Andrew in a tragic accident."

McIngvale donated $1 million toward construction of the UNT athletic center in February 2004. UNT planned to recognize the contribution by naming the practice fields after McIngvale.

Those plans changed shortly after Dickey was fired on Nov. 8. Dickey led the Mean Green to the Sun Belt Conference title and the New Orleans Bowl in each season from 2001-04 before UNT suffered a pair of down seasons.

UNT finished 2-9 last year and was 2-7 when Dickey was fired less than a month after he suffered a heart attack on Oct. 12.

McIngvale took out a full-page advertisement in the Denton Record-Chronicle a few days after Dickey was fired that detailed the reasons he believed Dickey's dismissal was unwarranted. McIngvale requested in the advertisement that the fields that were to be named after him be named after Dickey instead.

UNT's Board of Regents voted to honor that request.

"When all of that took place, I was in the middle of the season, trying to finish off and deal with my health," Dickey said. "I was honored, but I thought about it when I had time and had a lengthy conversation with Mr. McIngvale. We thought it would be appropriate to name the fields after Andrew.

McIngvale got to know Smith during his time at UNT that reached its highpoint during the 2002 season. Smith was scheduled to serve as a backup, but was thrust into the starting lineup as a redshirt freshman when starter Scott Hall tore a pectoral muscle in the Mean Green's season opener at Texas.

Smith struggled at times, but led UNT to a 6-0 record in Sun Belt Conference play and a win over Cincinnati in the New Orleans Bowl.

McIngvale gave Smith a pep talk in the week before the Mean Green's 38-27 win over New Mexico State that clinched the Sun Belt title.

McIngvale stayed in touch with Smith and gave him a job at Gallery Furniture, his store in Houston, the next summer.

"Coach Dickey brought up naming the fields after Andrew," McIngvale said. "I thought it would be a great idea. He was a great young man whose life came to a tragic end. It would be a great way to remember him."

Smith lost the starting job to Hall early in the 2003 season but decided to remain at UNT and compete for the position the next season. Smith was on his way to Denton for the beginning of two-a-day practices before the 2004 campaign when he died in the car accident just outside of College Station.

McIngvale paid for UNT's entire team and coaching staff to travel to Bay City for Smith's funeral, an act of kindness that Andrew Smith Sr. said the family appreciated.

Dickey and McIngvale have contacted the Smith family, which will support the proposal to name the fields after Andrew.

"When coach Dickey told me that he and Mr. McIngvale decided to try to name fields after Andrew, I was blown away," Andrew Smith Sr. said. "For them to honor Andrew in such a manner is a wonderful blessing for our family. … Andrew has received a lot of honors, but this would top them all."

I would rather have the practice fields named after Andrew Smith than DD. But, If there is any cost involved...like the marker naming the field...I believe it should be borne by Mattress Mack or DD. I wish I could believe this decision was to honor Andrew Smith and not prolong the jabs at NT. IMHO This whole situation is an attempt at retributation for DD losing his job...to make NT look bad. It will be interesting to see who Stephen F Austin State College choses as their new head coach. I can just hear DD commenting on how bad the conditions he has to work under there.

Would NT have been better off without MM's money?

Haven't been at SFA lately but several Lufkin HS band members (including myself) used to play with their band in the stands at games to augument its sound.

Well................ blink.gif

In this case, the 3'rd time (for the name of the MG Athletic Village football practice field) would most definitely be the charm.

It's tough to lose any family member to the many of us who have lost both parents and even a brother or a sister, but still the loss of the young Andrew Smith, Jr., still hurts all who cannot forget that smile.

God Bless The Andrew Smith, Sr. Family of Bay City, Texas

It APPEARS that Matress Mac and Dickey are using this latest request to twist the knife...to play games. I don't think I am being cynical, but this is the perfect cover to keep NT jumping through hoops. Nobody wants to dishonor the memory of the young quarterback.

NT already agreed to make a change to accomodate Matress Mac's desires. That at least had a shred of credibility with the purpose of keeping a million dollar donor happy, even though he was a major butt about it by going to the press.

BTW, maybe their are exceptions, but usually significant facilities are not named for students who tragically lose their lives.

At this point, I'd say "no more." Matress Mac is a butt, and he is dragging UNT around in a public, non-flattering way. At some point, the dignity of the university should take precedence over placating the changing minds of the departing coach and his supporter. I think you are at that point now.

I agree that this is a much better suggestion than Mattress Mac's previous request. However, how many times are we going to rename the damn thing??

I think we should erect a giant, dry-erase board on the practice fields and let Mattress Mac drive to Denton and rename the fields anything he wants, anytime he wants to do it (i.e. every time it rains).

IMO it’s somewhere between a Class move and a way for DD and MM to do a re-take after the original emotional decisions were made.

We've already taken the bad PR hit over the Dickey renaming and are looking forward to the new coach hire.

Renaming the field again so quickly makes UNT look like a joke. They should wait a year or two before even considering it. There's plenty of other ways to honor Andrew Smith.

The board is scheduled to meet on Tuesday.

The timing of this request does seem a bit odd; to conflict with the buzz of hiring a new coach and wanting the BOR at their special meeting with RV to consider this change again? dry.gif

Call it what you will...it's a class move on Dickey's part.

Andrew's death seemed to really hit Dickey particularly hard...you can tell everytime he talks about him...and to keep Andrew's memory alive in this way shows alot of class.  It's the right thing to do...

I'll have to agree on this one. I was enraged by the last month of DD's tenure but this eases the pain a bit. It is nice to know that the man still has a heart.