When we sign a new HC

El Paso Eagle

2 years max. He should be able to coach the players (DD's ? recruits) that we have. I believe we have talent with the current players. If the new coach can't recognize and coach the talent we currently have, then we should let him go and hire another coach. NO more coaches that intend to make UNT their retirement plan. How can anyone, speculate, to offer a new hire a 4 to 5 year contract. What if this coach perceives his situation at UNT to be the worse situation in any D1 football program, he knows he works here everyday. What if he calls us fockers? The University (RV) should have ample opportunity to evaluate a coach in a 2 year period. If he's not a good fit, let him go!

The contract term is a double-edged sword. IMO, the man gets 5; anything less shows lack of commitment by both parties. Besides, the reality is that that seems to be the norm these days. Yes, we have TALENT on this team already...no doubt about that. My concern is that the new coach's system might require a different mix of talent by position than we have in "inventory", requiring at least two good recruiting years to correct. Throw in another year for this recruiting year (which might be mediocre due to the late start and uncertainty about the new coach) and you're up to three years already. IMHO, if the man isn't worthy of a 5 year deal, he shouldn't be offered.

4 years and if we can redominate the SBC and win a few nonSBC games in a year and a half, sign him to an extension. if we get that much better and more exciting to watch, attendance will improve. This coach TBD will probably see the new stadium. he will probably see enrollment close to 40k. he will probably see a much more energized fan base. these reasons are why we should be able to land a top notch candidate.

Depends on who it is. As much as I would love to have a coach hang around for 40 years with a sucessful (for the most part) program each year (like Bobby Bowden at Florida State or Joe Paterno at Penn State), if Todd Dodge is hired, I can see him bolt to another job as soon as he has a litte sucess. So if Dodge produces a winner in 3-5 years...bye bye Dodge.

I keep reading about all this talent we have, but talent to reach which plateau? More of the DD Ball-type plateau which strangely enough seems to satisfy some on this board? Sorry, but that's not what most would call going to the next level. Boise State has set the new standard for schools like North Texas and there is nothing that can stop us from being the next, uh, Boise State. sad.gif

For those of us who saw such high profile successes as we saw in the mid-70's specifically in the 1975 season, Mean Green football must get back to those days (bare minimum) before many of us would think this program is back on the foundation many of us thought that era would serve as a springboard for Mean Green football for years (decades) to come. With that in mind, any of you young gun alums have a better understanding with some of us older nestor's last 25 years of frustration at the levels we've been? smile.gif

Our next HFC's hire needs to add to the talent we already have and get us beyond just winning the SBC, going to the NO's Bowl and playing the 3'rd or 4'th place ( sad.gif ) CUSA team. Again, if we are in NCAA D1-A and we mean bu$ine$$ about playing at this level, then we need a coach who will take us to Top 25 and that coach needs a comittment from those who are resposible for setting the course of our alma mater's athletic program at any time.

5 year contract with stipulations:

2 years and gets hired away: $500,000 buyout clause to school who hires him (Won't such a school who wants our guy that bad probably be able to afford that)?

3 years and gets hired away: $250,000 buyout clause to school who hires him

4 years and gets hired away: $150,000 buyout clause to school who hires him

5 years and gets hired away: $100,000 buyout clause to school who hires him

6 years and over? "Hey, job well done, we'll miss you and good luck!"

Of course, getting said UNT hire to agree with all the above is another thing. smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

---Four years should be enough to indicate the direction that he is going....we could add an extension during during that time or have it an option year in the contract. We need a rather large buy-out provision should he leave early... A lot of programs pay so much they would not mind paying "the buy out" if they viewed our new coach as that successful or desirable. With what we pay I would expect a highly successful one to be hired away from us and if he isn't then the four-year deal is enough.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---Four years should be enough to indicate the direction that he is going....we could  add an extension during during that time or have it an option year in the contract.  We need  a rather large buy-out provision should he leave early... A lot of programs pay so much they would not mind paying "the buy out" if they viewed our new coach as that successful or desirable.  With what we pay I would expect a highly successful one to be hired away from us and if he isn't then the four-year deal is enough.

IMHO, a payout clause is necessary for any non-BCS school when they've hired a potential "up and comer" away from a non-BCS school leaving them high, dry (and head football coachless).

If we are going to get raped by the Big Boys when they get one of ours HFC's, then let them pay a nice sum for our services since we made the original find in the first place with said "up and comer" HFC and since they are probably not even going to kiss us (so to speak) when all is said and done; that is, when they've hired our guy away from us and left us eating their dust as they leave Denton with our "up and comer." huh.gif

I defer to my post (and payout sums after said number of years in Denton) above SCREAMING EAGLE-66's above post; or at least, something similar to it.

Of course, getting said new HFC at UNT to agree to a healthy buyout from a potential Big Boy suitor is another thing.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen