Board meeting postponed

Harry

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

December 08, 2006

Board meeting postponed

The North Texas board of regents meeting on Friday was postponed, which could delay the school finalizing a deal with a new football coach.

The board was scheduled to vote on a proposal that would allow athletic director Rick Villarreal and university president Gretchen Bataille to enter into a contract with a new head coach without board approval. University policy states that the board must approve contracts that have a total base salary of $500,000 or more during the length of the contract. For example, a three-year deal with an annual base salary of $200,000 would have to be approved by the board.

UNT officials would not provide a reason why the meeting was postponed and have not rescheduled as of Friday morning.

State law states that the agenda for a regents meeting must be posted 72 hours in advance. Postponing the meeting could push a vote on the proposal back three days.

Moving the meeting back could be a sign that UNT still has some details to work out as far as the contract for a new coach.

Delaying the meeting will also mean Southlake Carroll head coach Todd Dodge will likely coach the Dragons in their Class 5A Division I state quarterfinal game against Colleyville Heritage on Saturday before the board meets.

Dodge, UNT's former offensive coordinator, is considered a leading candidate for the job.

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

Delaying the meeting will also mean Southlake Carroll head coach Todd Dodge will likely coach the Dragons in their Class 5A Division I state quarterfinal game against Colleyville Heritage on Saturday before the board meets.

Dodge, UNT's former offensive coordinator, is considered a leading candidate for the job.

That is written as if to say, that if the board did meet, that Dodge wouldn't coach the game saturday? That paragraph makes no sense to me. The guy hasn't even been interviewed.

That is written as if to say, that if the board did meet, that Dodge wouldn't coach the game saturday?  That paragraph makes no sense to me.  The guy hasn't even been interviewed.

It's not been published that Todd Dodge has interviewed. I'm sure that RV and TD have had at least one conversation. It's better for both schools to keep that under wraps until the time is right.

For Dodge's name to even be mentioned in this article tells me that somebody knows something more than what has been made public.

It's the DRC.  Did you expect better?

Oh that's a good point. I didn't realize that was the DRC doing that. If thats the DRC, it makes all the sense in the world.

I think the story meant to suggest that the BOR likely won't meet until after Dodd coaches the playoff game. 

It's like the old question of which came first, the egg or the chicken.

I still don't see what the BOR has to do with Dodge coaching a playoff game. He still has three left if he keeps winning, so that doesn't make too much sense to me.

I thought this was simply a discussion of cost of the contract. Why does the actual coach involved make a difference? If it is dodge vs. xyz coach does that factor into the cost of the contract? This is beyond bizarre. Makes it pretty clear at least in my mind that Dodge is the guy. huh.gif

I thought this was simply a discussion of cost of the contract.  Why does the actual coach involved make a difference?  If it is dodge vs. xyz coach does that factor into the cost of the contract?  This is beyond bizarre.  Makes it pretty clear at least in my mind that Dodge is the guy.  huh.gif

It sure doesn't make any sense to me.

It's not been published that Todd Dodge has interviewed.  I'm sure that RV and TD have had at least one conversation.  It's better for both schools to keep that under wraps until the time is right.

For Dodge's name to even be mentioned in this article tells me that somebody knows something more than what has been made public.

I'm pretty sure they have talked by now. I hear from people that work with RV in the Athletic Office (like we didn't know already) that he is a pretty private guy especially when it comes to things of this nature.