Aggies talking about the possibility of Dodge

gangrene

I thought about posting on the Aggie board, but decided I would leave them alone in their pooled ignorance.  I guess to feel better about themselves they decide to criticize North Texas.  When they commented about facilities it reminded me of the quote from former Miami Hurricane and current Green Bay scout, Alonzo Highsmith who was quoted in the Miami Herald on November 26 of this year as saying about the U of Miami "So we've expanded the weight room--it is still not up to North Texas."  I have no personal knowledge about other facilities, but a pro scout has the opportunity to observe facilities.

Thank you for this post...proves my point that our facilities are not bad, are competitive, and are getting better.

Here is the link to that article, by the way: Alonzo Highsmith's comment on NT weight room, courtesy Miami Herald

You're dead wrong.  He took NS to 5-5 in his second year from and 4-6 in his first year.  The years before that NS was 2-8 and 2-8.  The only reason he left was because CFBISD was opening Creekview and it cut his talent pool in half.  Dodge's overall record was 9-11 from 96-97.  Here's an article on past NS head coaches:

BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News

Bobby Bounds said he has resigned as Carrollton Newman Smith football coach with a 5-15 record in two seasons.

Bounds, 37, said he resigned Nov. 27, which followed a called meeting he had with Newman Smith principal Joe Pouncy and Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD assistant superintendent Bobby Burns in late November after his team finished 2-8 this season. Bounds, who had more wins than the three previous Newman Smith coaches in their tenures, said he is seeking another football coaching job.

"There are some definite challenges to the Newman Smith job but the expectation level is still very high, obviously," Bounds said. "I'm very appreciative of the opportunity they gave me, but I didn't meet the goals I set for myself."

Renee Putter, the Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD athletic director, said the job was posted Friday and the school district will take applications through December. Putter said she plans to start the interview process in January and have a coach in place by Feb. 1.

Bounds is the sixth football head coach at Newman Smith since 1995. Four of the last five have lasted two seasons apiece, including Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge from 1996 to 1997. The last three coaches were assistants at Newman Smith the year before being promoted. Newman Smith has reached the playoffs once in school history (1983).

E-mail bgeorge@dallasnews.com

COACHING TURNOVER 

Carrollton Newman Smith has had six football coaches since 1995: 

Coach  Tenure  Rec. 

Troy Miller  1992-95  8-31-1 

Todd Dodge  1996-97  9-11 

Ron Lynch  1998-99  4-16 

Andy Sexton  2000-02  3-27 

Mark Copeland  2003-04  4-16 

Bobby Bounds  2005-06  5-15

Not exactly a turnaround, maybe improved for two years, but no playoff. They are basically 2-8 every year, so I'm sure you could say he helped the cause, but other District changes may have also helped give that impression. And there were other internal issues besides Creekview opening and a weaker talent pool, which I suspect were more of a factor than the new school.

Not to hurt any feelings of Newman Smith grads, but their football team has never been especially good. I'm sure they consider 5-5 and 4-6 successful seasons considering they typically only win a couple of games a year.

Newman Smith, on the other hand, has an excellent baseball program.

Not to hurt any feelings of Newman Smith grads, but their football team has never been especially good.  I'm sure they consider 5-5 and 4-6 successful seasons considering they typically only win a couple of games a year.

Newman Smith, on the other hand, has an excellent baseball program.

Didn't they have to forfit 2-3 games that year because the Colony head coach turned them in for using an ineligible player who was missing a signature on some transfer paperwork? Was that the same year or after Dodge?

I seem to remember a NS team that would have made the playoffs and won 7 or 8 games if that hadn't happened, but I'm not sure of the year and too busy to look it up.

Didn't they have to forfit 2-3 games that year because the Colony head coach turned them in for using an ineligible player who was missing a signature on some transfer paperwork? Was that the same year or after Dodge?

I seem to remember a NS team that would have made the playoffs and won 7 or 8 games if that hadn't happened, but I'm not sure of the year and too busy to look it up.

I thought that was Keller FC?? Maybe I am wrong...