Recruiting?

78 Greenman

Boys and Girls we need to move fast, recruiting is at a big O. What happen? DD got fired and all has stopped. NOT GOOD! I know most of you did not like DD but they should have fired him after Feb. 7. I love UNT and hate to see this happen. We are going to get leftovers for the 2007 year if we do not get on the stick!

Boys and Girls we need to move fast, recruiting is at a big O.  What happen? DD got fired and all has stopped.  NOT GOOD!  I know most of you did not like DD but they should have fired him after Feb. 7.  I love UNT and hate to see this happen.  We are going to get leftovers for the 2007 year if we do not get on the stick!

Why saddle a new coach with players that may or may not fit his system or his standards? True, we're not getting ahead out there with recruiting, but there are many other schools in the same boat. Next year might be a bit rough, but I have a hunch that whomever RV brings in will make this worth our while.

Why saddle a new coach with players that may or may not fit his system or his standards? True, we're not getting ahead out there with recruiting, but there are many other schools in the same boat. Next year might be a bit rough, but I have a hunch that whomever RV brings in will make this worth our while.

Absolutely. The new coach is already recruiting the metroplex as well as DD ever did and he hasn't even been hired yet.

I know most of you did not like DD but they should have fired him after Feb. 7.  I love UNT and hate to see this happen.

That would have been the worst thing that could have happened. Different systems (i.e. the spread that Dodge runs) require different types of players with different types of abilities. Making a new coach wait a full year to recruit his "type" of players would put us even further behind in the long run.

Don't worry, we need to hurry, but we still have time. As I'm sure you know, oral commitments are non-binding and players change their commitments all the time. That being said, we need to make a decision and announce the hire before Christmas so we'll at least have the full month of January to recruit. National signing day is February 7, 2007.

Don't worry, we need to hurry, but we still have time.  As I'm sure you know, oral commitments are non-binding and players change their commitments all the time.  That being said, we need to make a decision and announce the hire before Christmas so we'll at least have the full month of January to recruit.  National signing day is February 7, 2007.

agreed. This one class wont kill us if we bring in a guy that knows how to run the program, that can really get things going. Can you imagine if we had waited til the end of the season to can Dickey?

Schools are sending letters, calling etc. UNT is doing o. U want to let a 3 or 4 star QB get away? Other schools are fighting right now, at least let the asst. coaches keep calling the players and let them know what is going on. A player wants to play where he is most wanted and if you make no calls he will go with another school. UNT does not need to offer just continue to make contact. You first play for your coach then your teammates and last for the fans.

When is the last time we've had to worry about letting a 3 or 4 star QB get away? Besides, how effective could these coaches be anyway? "um....North Texas is a great place to play, I have no idea what kind of offense or defense they will be running....uh no I don't know if I'll be around.....no I don't have any idea who the next coach is....no they aren't called the mean black"

When is the last time we've had to worry about letting a 3 or 4 star QB get away?  Besides, how effective could these coaches be anyway?  "um....North Texas is a great place to play, I have no idea what kind of offense or defense they will be running....uh no I don't know if I'll be around.....no I don't have any idea who the next coach is....no they aren't called the mean black"

HAH! true.

You make a point but you are wrong. I know 2 very good players who say they were going to UNT but have not heard from UNT for weeks so they are going elsewhere. If they don’t care to call why should they care about UNT. A call just to say we liked you and I will let the new coach know about you is better than nothing. I can not tell you who they are but I think you would have liked them. One 2 star the other 3 star. But so be it, just a post that will not change a thing.

You make a point but you are wrong.  I know 2 very good players who say they were going to UNT but have not heard from UNT for weeks so they are going elsewhere.  If they don’t care to call why should they care about UNT.  A call just to say we liked you and I will let the new coach know about you is better than nothing.  I can not tell you who they are but I think you would have liked them. One 2 star the other 3 star. But so be it, just a post that will not change a thing.

If those players are truely interested in UNT then they know we are going thru a coaching change now. Patience grasshoppers! dry.gif

If those players are truely interested in UNT then they know we are going thru a coaching change now.   Patience grasshoppers!    dry.gif

Nothing profound here, but recruiting is the lifeblood of any successful D1-A football program. If you miss a year, you can many times make up for that; if you miss 2 years of quality recruting, look out JUCO's because here comes UNT asssistant coaches, but I'm afraid DD missed more than 2 years of quality recruiting just seeing how non-competitive we had been against schools like Tulsa, La Tech, Akron, etc, etc, etc...

But lets speculate (if you will) that Todd Dodge would become our #1 choice, but even he were not, most of us will fall in line to support whoever the hire is but lets look at what I feel would be some of Dodge's positives for our alma mater.

Strengths of Todd Dodge:

(1) Doesn't TD open up a whole new DFW pipeline (not just South Lake Carroll either) that has not been available to UNT before and a DFW area that we have mostly been ignoring for way too long? sad.gif In fact, with Dodge, maybe a whole new quality level of DFW area HS talent (although we've had a several from DFW with much talent in the past years/decades); but maybe not in the volume we could have had from our own backyard?

(2) For those who think he's been a HS coach only; Todd Dodge has had 2 years as a NCAA D1 offensive coordinator at some other school whose colors just also happened to be green and white. rolleyes.gif He is no stranger to the college football scene.

(3) He has those University of Texas and old SWC ties, ie, name ID (if you will) because when you've been the starting QB at the University of Texas then you're just going to have immediate name ID in our state--simple as that. Ask former UT QB James Street about that even today because he played for DKR in Austin in the late 1960's.

(4) I like the fact that because TD's been in Texas all his life coupled with his UT and UNT connections that he is just going automatically know a whole bunch of assistant coach "possibles" for his new staff at UNT (if he were hired, that is). TD may want to even retain 1 or 2 UNT assistants that you who have hung around up there longer than most have had nothing but high praise. Really nothing wrong with that, either, if they can adjust to the TD style.

(5) His son (Riley) may (in deed) go to the Big 12 or the Big 10 or wherever, but, hellsbells, folks, I like a father's chance to recruit his own son (and some other fine players in and outside South Lake Carroll's district as well). Did LSU fans complain back in the day when Coach Press Maravich recruited his own son, ie, Pistol Pete Maravich to play for him and the LSU Tigers? smile.gif

(6) Todd Dodge's South Lake Carroll team have been playing some of the best HS teams filled with talent in the entire USA (and that's because the green and white SLC Dragons have been playing HS teams located here in the Lone Star State). No Texas braggin' goin' on there--but just the cold, stark Lone Star State facts! tongue.gif

(7) The Dallas Cowboys made an inquiry toward Todd Dodge about a possible job out at Valley Ranch? Jeez, folks, just like many of you, I, too, played Texas HS football (Class AA), have followed our Texas HS/Friday Night Heros most of my adult life, but I've never heard of any Texas HS football coach who had officials from America's Team ask about the possiblility of going to work for the Dallas Cowboys. blink.gif

If Harbaugh were to becomme our #1 guy, then so be it and he will have all our complete support and encouragement (which many of us BTW, gave Darrell Dickey for most of his 9 years in Denton), but I think Todd Dodge brings much more to the table simply based his long time Texas ties and name ID because of it.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Nothing profound here, but recruiting is the lifeblood of any successful D1-A football program.  If you miss a year, you can many times make up for that; if you miss 2 years of quality recruting, look out JUCO's because here comes UNT asssistant coaches, but I'm afraid DD missed more than 2 years of quality recruiting just seeing how non-competitive we had been against schools like Tulsa, La Tech, Akron, etc, etc, etc... 

But lets speculate (if you will) that Todd Dodge would become our #1 choice, but even he were not,  most of us will fall in line to support whoever the hire is but lets look at what I feel would be some of Dodge's positives for our alma mater.

Strengths of Todd Dodge:

(1) Doesn't TD open up a whole new DFW pipeline (not just South Lake Carroll either) that has not been available to UNT before and a DFW area that we have mostly been ignoring  for way too long? sad.gif  In fact, with Dodge, maybe a whole new quality level of DFW area HS talent (although we've had a several from DFW with much talent in the past years/decades);  but maybe not in the volume we could have had from our own backyard?

(2)  For those who think he's been a HS coach only; Todd Dodge has had 2 years as a NCAA D1 offensive coordinator at some other school whose colors just also happened to be green and white. rolleyes.gif He is no stranger to the college football scene.

(3)  He has those University of Texas and old SWC ties, ie, name ID (if you will) because when you've been the starting QB at the University of Texas then you're just going to have immediate name ID in our state--simple as that.  Ask former UT QB James Street about that even today because he played for DKR in Austin in the late 1960's.

(4)  I like the fact that because TD's been in Texas all his life coupled with his UT and UNT connections that he is just going automatically know a whole bunch of assistant coach "possibles" for his new staff at UNT (if he were hired, that is).  TD may want to even retain 1 or 2 UNT assistants that you who have hung around up there longer than most have had nothing but high praise.  Really nothing wrong with that, either, if they can adjust to the TD style.

(5)  His son (Riley) may (in deed) go to the Big 12 or the Big 10 or wherever, but, hellsbells, folks,  I like a father's chance to recruit his own son (and some other fine players in and outside South Lake Carroll's district as well).  Did LSU fans complain back in the day when Coach Press Maravich recruited his own son, ie, Pistol Pete Maravich to play for him and the LSU Tigers? smile.gif

(6)  Todd Dodge's South Lake Carroll team have been playing some of the best HS teams filled with talent in the entire USA (and that's because the green and white SLC Dragons have been playing HS teams located here in the Lone Star State).  No Texas braggin' goin' on there--but just the cold, stark Lone Star State facts! tongue.gif

(7)  The Dallas Cowboys made an inquiry toward Todd Dodge about a possible job out at Valley Ranch?  Jeez, folks,  just like many of you, I, too, played Texas HS football (Class AA), have followed our Texas HS/Friday Night Heros most of my adult life, but I've never heard of any Texas HS football coach who had officials from America's Team ask about the possiblility of going to work for the Dallas Cowboys. blink.gif

If Harbaugh were to becomme our #1 guy, then so be it and he will have all our complete support and encouragement (which many of us BTW, gave Darrell Dickey for most of his 9 years in Denton), but I think Todd Dodge brings much more to the table simply based his long time Texas ties and name ID because of it. 

YEAH!!!! My sentiments exactly!!! Hire the guy from Texas.