For the long timers

Cr1028

I want to know from you guys that have been around awhile what the speculation and reaction was prior to and after the DD hiring? Did we have some appealing candidates or was it slim pickens? Were you happy, intrigued, or appalled at the appointment of DD?

I'd just like to look at a little history as perhaps some insight to the future.

I think we were surprised because no one really knew who he was and Helwig had been given so much power he could care less what the fans thought or wished for. I remember being surprised he was coming from SMU our rival. Personally I think most people were open minded and hopeful about Dickey though.

Thursday, February 26, 1998

North Texas hires former SMU offensive coordinator as head coach

DENTON, Texas (AP) -- North Texas hired SMU offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey as its new head coach Wednesday in the hope of some new magic and a place in the Division I-A sun.

Dickey, 38, helped the Mustangs to a 6-5 record last fall -- SMU's first winning season in 11 years.

"We wanted a coach who has a great offensive mind and has been in the trenches, a coach who can sell our program to the community and to student athletes that may have aspirations of coming to our university," said UNT athletic director Craig Helwig.

"I feel that we have the complete package in Coach Dickey," he said.

Dickey succeeds Matt Simon, who was reassigned Feb. 19 after four seasons as the Eagles' head coach. Simon compiled an 18-26-1 record, including a 4-7 overall record last season, 2-3 in Big West Conference play.

Simon had led North Texas from Division I-AA to Division I-A status in 1995. He reportedly had disagreements with Helwig on a number of key topics.

Dickey played high school football at Galena Park near Houston, where his father, Jim Dickey, is still head coach.

As quarterback at Kansas State, he led the Wildcats to their first bowl appearance ever at the 1982 Independence Bowl. Wisconsin defeated Kansas State 14-3 that year.

"He's a proven leader, both as a player and as a coach," Helwig said.

At SMU, running backs rushed for more than 100 yards nine times, the most since 1985. The Mustangs averaged 309 yards of offense per game, 197.3 yards of that on the ground.

This will be Dickey's first head coaching job, and he says he's ready for the challenge.

"From playing quarterback and serving as an offensive coordinator, I've been in a leadership role," he said. "I've been around football my whole life."

Dickey previously served as offensive coordinator at Memphis in 1989, and at Texas-El Paso in 1994-96. He previously was an assistant at Texas A&M, Memphis, Mississippi and Louisiana State.

"We are awfully proud of Darrell Dickey getting this opportunity," said SMU head coach Mike Cavan. "He certainly deserves it with his background in football and coaching experience. I believe Darrell will install a well-organized and well-disciplined program."

"We wanted a coach who has a great offensive mind and has been in the trenches, a coach who can sell our program to the community and to student athletes that may have aspirations of coming to our university," said UNT athletic director Craig Helwig.

Anyone doubt that Helwig missed the boat on this hire? blink.gif

Great thread...I hope we get more thoughts from those that were there 9 years ago when we were in this same situation and hired DD.

Intereting quote...shows how much of a spin doctor your AD has to be.

"I feel that we have the complete package in Coach Dickey," he said.

biggrin.giftongue.gifmad.gifwink.gif

Thursday, February 26, 1998

North Texas hires former SMU offensive coordinator as head coach

DENTON, Texas (AP) -- North Texas hired SMU offensive coordinator Darrell Dickey as its new head coach Wednesday

I was not happy that DD had never been a HC, and I was VERY not happy that he was coming from SMUt. mad.gif

http://www.kusports.com/news/coachstories/story/104557

I was trying to find out if Simon got a job after Baltimore so I did some surfing and came up empty. Did find some good articles including this one about him interviewing for the vacant KU job back in 96. Look at the 4 choices they had and see which one they should of took. Shows how important RV's choice is.

Allen , after a very successful run in IAA , went just 21-35 and was let go after the 01 season.

Edited by NT03