Mid Major Top 25

class84

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is were the fan can't say if the coach is bad or not. Just like in football these players came to UNT because better programs did not want. If you like it or not we get the washouts. some times we find a diamond, but most of the time we just get average players. We want JJ to be a great coach but great coaches are hard to come by they are coaching at places like Duke or Gonzaga. They can take players and make them play beyond themselves. So is a coach bad because he takes average players and gets average results?

Gonzaga is a much smaller school than UNT and hasnt always been successful someone had to make them work and get better, you can say every team in teh sbc (except maybe WKU) is average and has average players so since were all equal wouldnt a really good coach get better than average results?.......you right i never said i knew what was going on in practice im just sayin it isnt ALL his fault the players gotta execute its a 2 way street

Gonzaga is a much smaller school than UNT and hasnt always been successful someone had to make them work and get better, you can say every team in teh sbc (except maybe WKU) is average and has average players so since were all equal wouldnt a really good coach get better than average results?.......you right i never said i knew what was going on in practice im just sayin it isnt ALL his fault the players gotta execute its a 2 way street

Thats why i don't like when people say JJ is a bad coach. Usually our best players are transfers so they are not used to playing a hard D1 scheule. Either becasue they sat out an entire year of because of lower competion. So the run out of gas at the end. So for who we are we need an average coach not to bring our program down and bring it along until he can become a good coach or we can find a better one. People have to remeber that in coaching years JJ is young. he is learning too.

Thats why i don't like when people say JJ is a bad coach. Usually our best players are transfers so they are not used to playing a hard D1 scheule. Either becasue they sat out an entire year of because of lower competion. So the run out of gas at the end. So for who we are we need an average coach not to bring our program down and bring it along until he can become a good coach or we can find a better one. People have to remeber that in coaching years JJ is young. he is learning too.

at the same time....its JJ's job to get them in shape

Edited by mwynn05

True he is "young" too, but he doesn't have any of the standard excuses left.  These players are all his recruits, he doesn't have any scheduling deals left over from previous coaches.  He has the best arena in the DFW area to play in and some of the best facilities available anywhere.

I don't wish bad things to anybody and I would love to be able to come back to my alma mater and watch great basketball and a winning team.  I think this year and maybe next year are going to be the make or break years for Jones, so here's to hoping for success.

You are right. If he tanks this season he has no excuses. But if they have another average season he only has next year to prove he should stay.

Usually our best players are transfers so they are not used to playing a hard D1 scheule.

I must reply.

1. NT's schedule is not that tough.

2. Most of our transfers came from larger schools, Davis (Arkansas), Wooden (Arizona State), Johnson (LSU) and Fleming (Oklahoma St.) to name a few.

I must reply.

1.  NT's schedule is not that tough.

2.  Most of our transfers came from larger schools, Davis (Arkansas), Wooden (Arizona State), Johnson (LSU) and Fleming (Oklahoma St.) to name a few.

Thank you for pointing out the facts. If Arkansas, LSU, or ASu are not Big Time programs then I must be a one dumb sports fan.

I must reply.

1.  NT's schedule is not that tough.

2.  Most of our transfers came from larger schools, Davis (Arkansas), Wooden (Arizona State), Johnson (LSU) and Fleming (Oklahoma St.) to name a few.

If you read the next sentence I go on to say that reason is because they come from a lower level of basketball or THEY SAT OUT A YEAR.

Thank you for pointing out the facts. If Arkansas, LSU, or ASu are not Big Time programs then  I must be a one dumb sports fan.

Arkansas and, to a much lesser extent, Oklahoma State are big time basketball. LSU and ASU have had some flashes (LSU in the Final Four last year), but are a lot closer to "mid-major" historically than they are anything else.

LSU and ASU have had some flashes (LSU in the Final Four last year), but are a lot closer to "mid-major" historically than they are anything else.

LSU has been to a few Final Fours and were typically ranked during the Dale Brown year's. Arizona State plays in the PAC-10 with Arizona and UCLA which I would equate to much better competition than SFA and Nichols St.

Yeah, but I wouldn't call those teams mid-majors. Real basketball schools are schools like Kentucky, UCLA, Arizona, Indiana, Notre Dame, North Carolina, etc. Saying Arizona State is a big basketball school because it's in the Pac 10 is like saying Baylor is a big football school because it's in the Big 12.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Tell me about it!

Any school in the big Conferances is considered above a mid-major no matter how much they suck.

If you play in the; SEC, ACC, Pac 10, Big 10, Big 12,or Big East you are not a mid-major and have no excuse what so ever losing to mid-majors.

I am tired of these experts on TV who say that mid-major upsets are not upsets. If you feel that way they need to give some respect Butler should be # 2 in the nation.

Saying Arizona State is a big basketball school because it's in the Pac 10 is like saying Baylor is a big football school because it's in the Big 12.

You are correct. ASU has been to the NCAA's many times and Baylor's football team has...umm...oh no, that analysis doesn't work.