Footballscoop says it is down to 3

Harry

True, point taken..... Not to get gushy or anything, I'd just like to see UNT have the tradition in reality that I see in my GreenBlooded heart....... To have someone who would stay and really develop a winning tradition over a decade or more.

Yea right when the school is 112 in paying a coach

This list is exciting to see. I would be happy with any of the three. Each candidate possesses a great deal of potential with minimal risks.

All three are former college QBs and proven winners at coaching. I think Harbaugh or Dodge might have the most immediate success at UNT because they are already accustomed to stretching the abilities of their athletes to the level of overachievement, while Fisher may experience a little bit of culture shock at the talent level of mid-major athletes vs. a top 10 program. However, Fisher may be the best of the three at recruiting.

Dodge and Harbaugh are also more likely to garner media attention in the DFW area because of their name recognition.

Again, I would be very happy with any of these three.

• Upvote 1

It would be great if our new HC left us for a BCS HC job in 5 years.

That would mean he likely a) had big OOC wins, cool.gif had several bowl wins and c) got us into the top 25.

Works for me.

I've advocated this from the very beginning. As the new hire starts getting successful, the AD should already have his replacement in mind. All you have to do is hire another coach with the same skills (and successful track record on his way up) as the one that was hire away from us.

It's not rocket science forchristsakes.

Although, when Hayden Fry left, the administrators at that time must have thought it was. Because they went out and hired the exact opposite personality of Hayden Fry. mad.gif

Guys, if none of those three work out, you guys could always go after Andy McCollum. I mean North Texas never lost a game when he was on the sidelines (j/k).

laugh.giflaugh.gif

I really don't want Jimbo Fisher. We already know what its like to have a coach that can't get along well with others...

Dodge was my #1 until I saw Harbaugh listed. I feel like because of his NFL experience and connections he would be able to bring in guys at our pay scale that otherwise we would not be able to have as assistants. Would he stay here long? Probably not, but what coach is going to stay in the mid-major pastures with BCS $$$$ calling?

Guys, if none of those three work out, you guys could always go after Andy McCollum. I mean North Texas never lost a game when he was on the sidelines (j/k).

You can't get pajamas in our new green yet, so what would Andy Mc wear on the sidelines?

I'm pulling for Dodge. He would bring us the attention of all of Texas. Just think of the recruits he would be able to bring in. Hell, we would end up with 4-6 SLC players for the next several years. And high school athlete has heard of Dodge and SLC. He would bring an exciting offense to NT. And seems as though he would be good with media, fans, etc. Nothing against the others but bring in a Texan.

• Upvote 1

I'm pulling for Dodge. He would bring us the attention of all of Texas. Just think of the recruits he would be able to bring in. Hell, we would end up with 4-6 SLC players for the next several years. And high school athlete has heard of Dodge and SLC. He would bring an exciting offense to NT. And seems as though he would be good with media, fans, etc. Nothing against the others but bring in a Texan.

i agree with this 100%, and to add making this hire would make national news bc Southlake is known nationally and i know ESPN would talk about it, also i remember seeing on another post about Dodge being a coach for the high school all star game, well that would bring us more publicity bc the announcers would talk about what a great hire it was and would get our name out there to everyone

• Upvote 1

i agree with this 100%, and to add making this hire would make national news bc Southlake is known nationally and i know ESPN would talk about it, also i remember seeing on another post about Dodge being a coach for the high school all star game, well that would bring us more publicity bc the announcers would talk about what a great hire it was and would get our name out there to everyone

Exactly...

To use the old Houston Livestock & Rodeo slogan used for decades upon decades when the trail riders were on the Salt Grass Trail and the rodeo came to H-town:

...............GO TEXAN............GO DODGE.................! ! ! smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

If Dodge were to come in, maybe he could bring the Southlake Dragon green with him so that our helmets/uniforms actually match our school color.  laugh.gif

and while we're at it, lets put the Eagle decal on the helmets and scrap the "mean green" slogan. never have felt that a color can be intimidating and represent strength, courage and fighting spirit. an Eagle can however! our uniforms do need some improvement.

its been what? two years. time to scrap the uniforms again and do a total redo.

im working on my fourth mini helmet. im running out of room guys. we're losing our identity by trying to get the perfect look. are we gonna settle on an image or not?

I'm not lobbying for anyone since you guys are much closer to the all aspects of the situation than I am, but a few interesting things about Harbaugh:

(1) this season's USD roster includes a Southlake Carroll recruit, RS DB Beau Galbraith, as well as a Dallas Bishop player . . . I assume Harbaugh had to talk with Dodge at some point!

(2) The two dozen or so 1-AA non/ship teams do recruit, although not with full athletic scholarships, and it actually is a steady off-season process . . .UAlbany was in this situation for a several years so I know it well (UA is now offering several a year to get to the 60 level like the James Madisons and UMass and others) . . . the aid comes in all kinds of packages, but few players actually are paying their full way totally . . I'm not pretending to compare this to recruiting for D-1 teams, of course . . .

(3) but it takes some heckuva "recruiter" to get guys to come play for you absent the big-time program with lots of scholarships and perks . . . California being the rich lode that it is, it seems Harbaugh has done a commendable job of getting players (USD roster is dominated by Cal players). . . I wonder what he could do in another "rich lode" state but with having the advantage of offering ships . . .

(4) until the last game of the season, UA was up for playing in that "bowl" game against USD . . . I asked one of the coaches about what they knew of USD, and he said they not only were very well coached with surprisingly good players (for the "non-ship" program), but had alot of enthusiasm and . . . get this . . . played as if they expected to win.

laugh.gif  laugh.gif

I really don't want Jimbo Fisher.  We already know what its like to have a coach that can't get along well with others...

Dodge was my #1 until I saw Harbaugh listed.  I feel like because of his NFL experience and connections he would be able to bring in guys at our pay scale that otherwise we would not be able to have as assistants.  Would he stay here long? Probably not, but what coach is going to stay in the mid-major pastures with BCS $$$$ calling?

i don't yhink fisher had issues with saban, it might have more to do with less miles, he's not a fan favorite in la.

and while we're at it, lets put the Eagle decal on the helmets and scrap the "mean green" slogan.  never have felt that a color can be intimidating and represent strength, courage and fighting spirit.  an Eagle can however!  our uniforms do need some improvement.

Man that kind of statement can get you banned on here. Just kidding but seriously there are like 200 different college teams that have Eagles as their logo. We are uniquely Mean Green and proud as hell of it. GMG!

• Upvote 1

Guest Aquila_Viridis

The eagle logo and the Mean Green appellation can happily coexist.

Now, back to the real issue: if Harbaugh left here after a few years, it would be because he was kicking a$$ while here. I'll take it. The boost to the program would allow us to acquire a proper successor.

You really think hirning Dodge would make national news? Maybe but hiring an 15 year NFL retired quarterback would bring more. Dodge may be known outside of the Texas but not very well. Quick question. Whats the name of the coach at Concord De LaSalle High School in CA? I dunno? and I follow high school football. DLS has been much more successfull than the recent SLC run. DLS didn't lose a game for 10 years.... 10 YEARS. But I couldn't give you the name of the coach on a bet.

Harbaugh has more name recognition nationally. His hire would definately make Sportscenter, NFL network, FSSW, etc.

And this high school all star game? There is no guaruntee Dodge would coach it. If hired I wouldn't be surprised to see him back out of it with his new UNT duties taking precedence.

All in all, any of the 3 rumored finalists would be fine with me. Id be happy with any of the 3. But my new favorite is Harbaugh

RV has really got to be extatic. The final 3 interviewees would be great to have as a North Texas head coach. I think all three are a win-win-win situation. All 3 have great ability and bring something different to the position.

You really think hirning Dodge would make national news?  Maybe but hiring an 15 year NFL  retired quarterback would bring more.  Dodge may be known outside of the Texas but not very well.    Quick question.  Whats the name of the coach at Concord De LaSalle High School in CA?    I dunno? and I follow high school football.  DLS has been much more successfull than the recent SLC run.  DLS didn't lose a game for 10 years.... 10 YEARS.    But  I couldn't give you the name of the coach on a bet. 

Harbaugh has more name recognition nationally.  His hire would definately make Sportscenter,  NFL network, FSSW, etc. 

And this high school all star game?  There is no guaruntee Dodge would coach it.  If hired I wouldn't be surprised to see him back out of it with his new UNT duties taking precedence. 

All in all,  any of the 3 rumored finalists would be fine with me.  Id be happy with any of the 3.  But my new favorite is Harbaugh

You are correct I have not heard of the California school....but I would guarantee you the HS athletes in California have.  I can also guarantee the HS athletes in Texas have heard of Todd Dodge...we recruit Texas and Oklahoma....we don't recruit in California.

You really think hirning Dodge would make national news?  Maybe but hiring an 15 year NFL  retired quarterback would bring more.   Dodge may be known outside of the Texas but not very well.    Quick question.  Whats the name of the coach at Concord De LaSalle High School in CA?    I dunno? and I follow high school football.  DLS has been much more successfull than the recent SLC run.  DLS didn't lose a game for 10 years.... 10 YEARS.    But  I couldn't give you the name of the coach on a bet. 

Harbaugh has more name recognition nationally.  His hire would definately make Sportscenter,  NFL network, FSSW, etc. 

And this high school all star game?   There is no guaruntee Dodge would coach it.  If hired I wouldn't be surprised to see him back out of it with his new UNT duties taking precedence. 

All in all,   any of the 3 rumored finalists would be fine with me.  Id be happy with any of the 3.   But my new favorite is Harbaugh

Funny you mention DLS. This is another program that intentionally, and legally recruit players to form an All Star cast. They are coached by Bob Ladouceur who has been there for a long time and I have often wondered why he never took a position with a college and moved up. But many fans of HS football across the nation were looking forward to a prescheduled game between DLS and SLC earlier this season that was to be played next year. But for reasons I can't figure out, and sometime after SLC embarrassed Evangel earlier this season, the game has now been canceled?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick