SERIOUS COACHING CANDIDATES?

Txballa

There seems to be nothing but rumors as far as the coaching job is concerned, what names are seriously being considered for the job?

Todd Dodge - Everyone knows this

Jimbo Fisher - Best hire IMO

Randy Butler

Curtis Modkins

Whoever we contemplate oferring our job to, always best to have an ace in the hole just in case.

If Todd Dodge were to actually become our guy (as many hope) I think his upside would be even better than the Rick Neuheisel-type of hire because of the fact that T.D.'s already had 2 years at UNT as an assistant coach which I think is invaluable for him and us AND..............

................I don't think Rick Neuheisel has a son who could possibly become a Parade Magazine All American QB in 2007, either. rolleyes.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plummer, I've got to disagree on this one. Rick Neuheisel or Jimbo Fisher would be far ahead of a Todd Dodge on my list of candidates if we could land either one of them. Neuheisel or Fisher have coached at high profile programs, with Neuheisel being the top man at a couple of programs. If there is any chance RV could land either of them, he should do it. My order of preference -

1. Rick Neuheisel

2. Jimbo Fisher

3. It's a crap shoot!

I just want someone who WANTS to be here, not someone who thinks their doing UNT a favor and have a chip on his shoulder like another coach I know well.  When asked, at least TD has said all the right things.

That's a point in Dodge's favor. He has already coached at North Texas, he knows exactly what it involves and what we are about. Add the future new stadium and it's a very attractive job.

That's a point in Dodge's favor.  He has already coached at North Texas, he knows exactly what it involves and what we are about.  Add the future new stadium and it's a very attractive job.

Exactly. We won't have to hear about how this is the toughest job in America anymore because TD will know how it used to be and see how much it has improved in the last decade.

Y'all do realize that there are risks involved in whoever becomes our coach?

I want the best option that we can afford, who has the strategy in mind that gives us the best chance for success with our recruiting pecking order, being that of around 8th or 9th in the state. I want the guy who brings the most recources with him(including respect within this region) and one who can teach/develope at the skill positions, and one who can set in place a system that takes advantage of all the previously mentioned criteria to win.

Rick

That's a point in Dodge's favor.  He has already coached at North Texas, he knows exactly what it involves and what we are about.  Add the future new stadium and it's a very attractive job.

I've made that point many times. Two of our most successful (post Mitchell) coaches (Hayden Fry and Corky Nelson) were coaches who clearly knew what the challeges were at North Texas. Hayden, because he coached next door for about a decade before taking the job, and Corkey because he had been the DL coach under Rod Rust.

I remember that Bob Tyler used to take sarcastic shots (much like DD) at the North Texas fans.

I don't know what Dennis Parker thought was the overall challenge here, but he did try to instill some school spirit by having the football team learn the alma mater, and then join in singing it with the students and band after games.

I don't remember any comments that Matt Simon made about the "culture" at North Texas.

It may not be fair to expect this, but we really need someone who can "work the crowd (students,alumni, community)" as well as coach the team.

I've made that point many times. Two of our most successful (post Mitchell) coaches (Hayden Fry and Corky Nelson) were coaches who clearly knew what the challeges were at North Texas. Hayden, because he coached next door for about a decade before taking the job, and Corkey because he had been the DL coach under Rod Rust.

I remember that Bob Tyler used to take sarcastic shots (much like DD) at the North Texas fans.

I don't know what Dennis Parker thought was the overall challenge here, but he did try to instill some school spirit by having the football team learn the alma mater, and then join in singing it with the students and band after games.

I don't remember any comments that Matt Simon made about the "culture" at North Texas.

It may not be fair to expect this, but we really need someone who can "work the crowd (students,alumni, community)" as well as coach the team.

Nothing profound with this statement, but recruiting a good class "every year" is what will build Mean Green football to the level of a Boise State U type of program. UNT must become a Top 25 football program to rise above all the ex SWC schools in Texas (who are not in the Big 12). Haven't many of us been keeping up with Boise State since we departed the Big West as it is? It's just so sad that we chose the low road of competition while they aggressively chose the high road.

I just think if Todd Dodge were our HFC, his recruiting gets out of the starting blocks even quicker than the Neuheisel-types (who I think may impress us moreso than Texas HS football recruits who, quite frankly, may have never heard of the guy.

Also as a possible bonus for all of us Greenies'? How amazing (inasmuch) that the South Lake Carroll HS colors just happen to also be the same as our own Mean Green, eh? rolleyes.gif I know (if TD were to be hired) we probably should not expect a windfall of thousands of new fans from the South Lake area coming to Fouts Field (and then our new stadium later on), but gee-willakers, folks, how many S.L. Carroll fans will become Mean Green fans simply because they'll know they won't have to go out and buy a whole new wardrobe of non-green sports gear? laugh.gif (Just kiddin', as the demographics of South Lake has many of its citizenry who can certainly afford much more than new sports gear and wardrobes. rolleyes.gif

This will be a most intriguing hire. God only knows how Rick V has had much on his plate of late coupled with all the crap some of us have added to his plate on GMG.com (and I'll accept my part of this); also, along with all the DD business he's had to endure with a smile (among other things) but this new HFC's hire in Mean Green Country will certainly be the icing on the cake of all this.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

It's not only fair, it's vital. At North Texas there have been so many years of a lack of outreach to the general public and student body that I can't blame them for not feeling a part of the program. I really think that this sense of "ownership" is why some schools can sell out or come near it even during the lean years.

There seems to be nothing but rumors as far as the coaching job is concerned, what names are seriously being considered for the job?

Todd Dodge - Everyone knows this

Jimbo Fisher - Best hire IMO

Randy Butler

Curtis Modkins

Todd Dodge- Best hire IMO