Bowl payouts

DeepGreen

I believe MUTS will have to share it's payout with the SBC members, so they won't make more money the the conference champs!!!

I really don't think there's going to be any money. The Motor City Bowl from what I understand really did not want Middle Tennessee. From what I've heard, the negotiations for the bid were pretty tough. We're talking about ticket sales. The MCB Director was trying to make it so onerous and pricy that we might be forced to turn it down, so they could offer it to a 6-6 Kansas or somebody like that. From what I understand, Wright Waters had our back on that. I think it will cost MT money and the SBC won't see any revenue, just the benefit of a 2nd bowl bid and having a Sun Belt team on ESPN the day after Christmas.

I really don't think there's going to be any money.  The Motor City Bowl from what I understand really did not want Middle Tennessee.  From what I've heard, the negotiations for the bid were pretty tough. We're talking about ticket sales. The MCB Director was trying to make it so onerous and pricy that we might be forced to turn it down, so they could offer it to a 6-6 Kansas or somebody like that.  From what I understand, Wright Waters had our back on that.  I think it will cost MT money and the SBC won't see any revenue, just the benefit of a 2nd bowl bid and having a Sun Belt team on ESPN the day after Christmas.

I can kind of see this and im glad the mt administrators had the guts to cut their losses and take it anyway

Riddle me this...

Troy wins Sun Belt; goes to New Orleans bowl where the payout is $325K

Middle Tennesse places 2nd in the Sun Belt; goes to the Motor City Bowl where the payout is $750K.

You'd think that the team with the better record and is champion of the conference would go to the game with the higher payout and potential to go represent the conference in a more "prestigious" bowl game. They should be rewarded for their season long achievements and get their pick of which bowl they would like to go to to represent the SBC.

This make absolutly no sense to me.

Not to take away from MTSU and their achievements, but this is just odd. unsure.gif

The NCAA has changed the rules. What they found was that when the minimum was $750,000 many bowls could not generate enough money to pay that so they would align with a conference willing to enter into a "marketing" agreement with the bowl. The conference would pay thousands of dollars for the bowl to "promote" the conference by adding the league's logo to their materials and the logo of the team selected. Then they would boost the ticket requirements.

The new rules require only that a bowl pay enough to cover a team's reasonable expenses.

The take home remains the same but it eliminates the shell game used to make it appear that the bowl is paying tons of money. When the Las Vegas Bowl suggested dropping its payout in order to eliminate the "marketing agreements" the Pac-10 balked because they preferred paying $200,000 for a marketing agreement and receiving $800,000 over no marketing agreement and receiving $600,000. Amazing isn't it?

For way of reference. The vaunted $1.3 million the Liberty used to pay the MWC included marketing agreements and ticket purchase minimums totalling roughly $1 million. If they didn't sell their tickets well they didn't even cover the cost of the trip.

The MCB Director was trying to make it so onerous and pricy that we might be forced to turn it down, so they could offer it to a 6-6 Kansas or somebody like that. 

well if thats the case, they may luck out by having y'all there. I cant see Kansas fans being excited enough about playing the Mac Champ that they would travel in droves to Detroit... just a thought. Hopefully y'all can get a good crowd in there and pull out a W. would be nice to see the sun belt co-champ knock off the Mac champ