Florida vs Ohio State

Talon90

Would if be wrong of me , A DieHard GreenBleeder , to buy a Boise St. hat and wear until the Bowl vs. OU ???

Could it be possible that Boise makes things interesting with a blowout win vs. Sooners and Florida squeaks out a win vs. Ohio St. I think if that happens , the Broncos could get some 1st place votes in the final polls biggrin.gif

Edited by NT03

Boise State might have been given the biggest gift of the BCS minus Florida. They will get to play a very well coached OU team with no superstars.

As for the NC game, I will go with Florida on this one. No one will be picking them, and UMeyer is great in games when no one is picking his team. Anyone remember going and watching that Beast of a man on the DE for Florida out at Ryan High, Jarvis Moss? That guy is good to say the least.

First and foremost, WOOOOHOOOO!!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Now, on a more objective note, I think Florida can, repeat CAN, win this game, if we can get healthy on the D-line and in the secondary, and Urban can figure out what offense he wants to run and what quarterback he should use to run it. It will take Florida's game of the year, but that is very doable since I don't think they have play up to their potential all year.

P. S. WOOOOHOOOO!!!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I still don't see how the #2 team loses to the #1 team on #1's field by 3 points(home field advantage spread) and drops to 3rd. If USC had won, Florida would not have jumped Michigan for the 3rd spot. It's all politics. #1 should play #2 regardless of conference.

That's your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it. However, others would argue that Michigan's strength of schedule consists of playing Ohio State (loss), Wisconsin (who played NOBODY this year), Notre Dame (who is overrated, as usual), and that's about it. Florida played the toughest schedule in the NCAA, including 4 in the latest top 20 and (correct me if I am wrong) 7 teams going bowling.

Besides, should you be able to play for the MNC (Mythical National Championship) in this day and age if you didn't even win your conference?

Finally, fair or not, the system has always favored teams that finish strong versus those that lose late in the season. Michigan's a great team, but they have no better arguement for being in the MNCG than Florida, just a different arguement.

That's your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to it.  However, others would argue that Michigan's strength of schedule consists of playing Ohio State (loss), Wisconsin (who played NOBODY this year), Notre Dame (who is overrated, as usual), and that's about it.  Florida played the toughest schedule in the NCAA, including 4 in the latest top 20 and (correct me if I am wrong) 7 teams going bowling.

Besides, should you be able to play for the MNC (Mythical National Championship) in this day and age if you didn't even win your conference?

Finally, fair or not, the system has always favored teams that finish strong versus those that lose late in the season.  Michigan's a great team, but they have no better arguement for being in the MNCG than Florida, just a different arguement.

You make some good points but could Florida have won the Big 10 this year? Oh, and Michigan had the 3rd toughest strength of schedule.

Mythical National Championship that is.  There has never been a major college football national championship as far as I know of.  And unless things change, there never will be.

Rick

Well last year was pretty close though. Texas and USC were the best 2 teams in most people's minds.

Well last year was pretty close though. Texas and USC were the best 2 teams in most people's minds.

by a long shot.

but I agree with Rick, it is kind of a sham the way it works out almost every year with 2 or 3 teams having legitimate claims to the game. I mean, who's to say Wisconsin or (long shot) Boise State isn't the best team in the nation? I think you've got to at LEAST do a 4 team playoff

I still don't see how the #2 team loses to the #1 team on #1's field by 3 points(home field advantage spread) and drops to 3rd. If USC had won, Florida would not have jumped Michigan for the 3rd spot. It's all politics. #1 should play #2 regardless of conference.

...but if Michigan wins the rematch by 3 or less, do you really think this would be settled? Hardly, the roles would just be reversed, with the favor in Michigan fans...which is all they want. The reality is a rematch would completely take away from the legitimacy of the regular season. People would just keep going "what if". You got a problem with that, then you should have taken care of it the first time around.

You think OSU fans wouldn't be scratching their head twice, asking "Why should we have to beat the same team twice in a row to be crowned?". And I doubt Wolverine fans would feel differently if they were in the Buckeye's shoes.

Florida got in because of politics, and rightly so (personally, I think they have a real shot at this and earned their way in. I sometimes wonder if part of this is SEC sympathy from the media do to the Auburn fiasco a few years back). It may not be fair in the sense that Michigan MIGHT be the true #2, but I think the voters decided this because they don't want a rematch. This is all my opinion, but I agree with them. A rematch would have been the worst thing for college football.

It's very possible in a few years we'll be seeing a 2 + 1 BCS setup where the winner of the top 2 games play one or two weeks later. THAT might be cool.

This could be all irrelevant if/when the Gators win.

-gm

Edited by greenminer

...but if Michigan wins the rematch by 3 or less, do you really think this would be settled?  Hardly, the roles would just be reversed, with the favor in Michigan fans...which is all they want.  The reality is a rematch would completely take away from the legitimacy of the regular season.  People would just keep going "what if".  You got a problem with that, then you should have taken care of it the first time around.

You think OSU fans wouldn't be scratching their head twice, asking "Why should we have to beat the same team twice in a row to be crowned?".  And I doubt Wolverine fans would feel differently if they were in the Buckeye's shoes.

Florida got in because of politics, and rightly so (personally, I think they have a real shot at this and earned their way in.  I sometimes wonder if part of this is SEC sympathy from the media do to the Auburn fiasco a few years back).  It may not be fair in the sense that Michigan MIGHT be the true #2, but I think the voters decided this because they don't want a rematch.  This is all my opinion, but I agree with them.  A rematch would have been the worst thing for college football.

It's very possible in a few years we'll be seeing a 2 + 1 BCS setup where the winner of the top 2 games play one or two weeks later.  THAT might be cool.

This could be all irrelevant if/when the Gators win.

-gm

You make some very good points but in my mind the National Championship was played on 11/18 and Ohio State had home field advantage. I will continue to think this way until Florida proves me wrong. That means beating Ohio State by at least 6.

You make some very good points but in my mind the National Championship was played on 11/18 and Ohio State had home field advantage. I will continue to think this way until Florida proves me wrong. That means beating Ohio State by at least 6.

So if Florida wins by 1, they aren't Champs?

I agree with you on this. I just take it a step further: if OSU were to beat UM again I, the average fan, would ask why did we give all that money and time to a matchup we saw just a few months ago? I'd rather stick someone else in there for kicks, saaaaay.....

Boise State. tongue.gif

Personally, I love the debates of college football. It seperates it for me from the other sports.

-gm

Mythical National Championship that is.  There has never been a major college football national championship as far as I know of.  And unless things change, there never will be.

Rick

It will be nice when the NCAA decides to create a playoff system and do College Football like every other sport does things to determine thier champion.