advice for coach jones

drex

Please tell the players that they are down by fifteen at tipoff so they will play from the opening gun. We are very athletic, but cannot spot teams 15 points right off the bat and expect to win very many games. I am not talking about Nebraska, which is obviously very good...I am talking about the UTA and Texas State-San Marcos games. We are way too lacksadasical at the beginning of games.

I'm not an expert enough to give advice to Coach Jones, I have never Coached Basketball, and honestly, I have never played basketball in my life (although I do enjoy watching it)

But, I do agree with your comments about the beginning of the games. I don't see a real "push" on our guys to pull ahead in the first few minutes of the game. I am not sure if this is intentional or just the way things happen to go. It could be the way that Coach Jones wants to run the game.

I have a family member that coaches high school ball, and he explained his philosiphy to me as this:

"I try to press the other team hard, get them to turn the ball over, and win the game in the first 5 minutes, and then we just coast to a win...if we can get up by about 10-15 points in the first few minutes, it's over for the other team"

I think that our problems (remember that I have never played Basketball before) lie within our offensive performance. It appears that our defense is doing ok, but shooting below 50% is certainly not going to win games.

Oh no!!! What happened to the football coach?

No matter what happens this year He has atleast one year left. With Flemmings, Collins, Sturns, Bell, Wooden, And Mangrum they are, to me, a better team.

why should he be given another year if he bombs out again? Every year it has turned into wait until next year, when will JJ deliver in a CURRENT with current players?

Oh no!!! What happened to the football coach?

No matter what happens this year He has atleast one year left. With Flemmings, Collins, Sturns, Bell, Wooden, And Mangrum they are, to me, a better team.

He needs to be judged on W's and L's

No more "credit" for should of, could of, would of ....

Because Hes has done more then any other coach in a long time.

Plus they are not going to bomb out.

Darrell Dickey did more for UNT football than any other coach in a long time, but that doesn't mean that was enough. Same goes for JJ, he needs to produce this year. We need to stop accepting mediocre results year in and out.

Also, why do you think they won't "bomb out"? Every year the team has "bombed out" at some point. Which is disappointing because JJ is a great guy and promoter of the program. I've met him and he is as nice as can be, but we still need results on the court.

Darrell Dickey did more for UNT football than any other coach in a long time, but that doesn't mean that was enough. Same goes for JJ, he needs to produce this year. We need to stop accepting mediocre results year in and out.

Also, why do you think they won't "bomb out"? Every year the team has "bombed out" at some point. Which is disappointing because JJ is a great guy and promoter of the program. I've met him and he is as nice as can be, but we still need results on the court.

What got darrel Dickey fires was 5 wins in two years. Johnny Jones has had a decent team on the court every year for a football school. Some people were DD fans no matter what he did. Well I am a Johnny Jones Fan no matter what.

What got darrel Dickey fires was 5 wins in two years. Johnny Jones has had a decent team on the court every year for a football school. Some people were DD fans no matter what he did. Well I am a Johnny Jones Fan no matter what.

Fans and administration accepting decent is why UNT athletics as a whole is where it is right now. BTW, the people who were fans of Dickey "no matter what he did" were idiots.

Fans and administration accepting decent is why UNT athletics as a whole is where it is right now. BTW, the people who were fans of Dickey "no matter what he did" were idiots.

Why does everybody think just because you like the coach you except decent? What do you think we should do? Everytime a coach doesnt make it to a bowl game or the Tournament they should get fired? How bout someone start a "pay off the coaches contracts fund" then whe yall dont like someone pay him to leave and get another one.

Why does everybody think just because you like the coach you except decent? What do you think we should do? Everytime a coach doesnt make it to a bowl game or the Tournament they should get fired? How bout someone start a "pay off the coaches contracts fund" then whe  yall dont like someone pay him to leave and get another one.

You said you were a JJ fan no matter what and that he has had decent teams. When will you expect and demand something more?

How long has JJ been here? 5? How many winning season? How many conference tournament wins? What is his overall record? How many times have people said "wait till next year"? How many times do we have to wait till next year? Hopefully not again, because if this season isn't a success I don't think I will be able to say I support JJ anymore, no matter how great a guy he is.

when his contract is up! I am not a big fan of giving coaches contract extensions or firing them in the middle of a contract. when the contract expires look at what he has done and if you want take him or go in a different direction. Again i ask is there a better coach out there that would come here?

when his contract is up! I am not a big fan of giving coaches contract extensions or firing them in the middle of a contract. when the contract expires look at what he has done and if you want take him or go in a different direction. Again i ask is there a better coach out there that would come here?

actually yes there were several coaches including Bob Marlin and Gillespie who should have been chosen over JJ and those are just 2

Are you kidding? So it doesn't matter if a coach is stinking it up, he gets to stay through out his contract?

Would any better coaches like to coach at North Texas... Hmm... DFW recruiting hotbed, 10,500 seat arena, new athletic facilities... Nah, no one wants to come to North Texas. Great attitude BTW.

Wasn't TAMU's Billy Gillispie a candidate for the head coaching job when JJ got it?

Edited by e-bone ver2.awesome

Are you kidding? So it doesn't matter if a coach is stinking it up, he gets to stay through out his contract?

Would any better coaches like to coach at North Texas... Hmm... DFW recruiting hotbed, 10,500 seat arena, new athletic facilities... Nah, no one wants to come to North Texas. Great attitude BTW.

Wasn't TAMU's Billy Gillispie a candidate for the head coaching job when JJ got it?

So if it was that easy to get a great coach to take us to the promised land why haven't we gotten on yet? If unt was such a hotbed for basketball why isnt our door getting knocked down with resumes? If the coach is stinking it up then he should be fired but not because he has a 14-14 record. Until two years ago unt basketball had horrible facilities. I want to win as much as yall do but if it was that easy to take a lower mid major and turn them into a winning school everybody will be doing it. I don't think he would have come here.. With a better team at a better conferance in Utep. Plus he went to a big 12 school over us. he wouldnt have come here.

Edited by untwillrise

Until two years ago unt basketball had horrible facilities. ............ With a better team at a better conferance in Utep. Plus he went to a big 12 school over us. he wouldnt have come here.

What exactly did we recieve two years ago for basketball?

BG was in the hunt before UTEP, not after.

What exactly did we recieve two years ago for basketball? 

BG was in the hunt before UTEP, not after.

New practice facility and athletic center Basketball ueses it too. i dont know the particulars on the coaches since i am only a new fan of three years. Even though i like JJ when i first saw hsi resume i wondered why we hired him.

So if it was that easy to get a great coach to take us to the promised land why haven't we gotten on yet? If unt was such a hotbed for basketball why isnt our door getting knocked down with resumes? If the coach is stinking it up then he should be fired but not because he has a 14-14 record. Until two years ago unt basketball had horrible facilities. I want to win as much as yall do but if it was that easy to take a lower mid major and turn them into a winning school everybody will be doing it. I don't think he would have come here.. With a better team at a better conferance in Utep. Plus he went to a big 12 school over us. he wouldnt have come here.

if he did not want to be hear why wouild he apply??

How can UNT have horrible Basketball ?Facilities? they use the Pit then and use it now so now the facilities are worse. You're killing your logic.