Thread on CUSA Board

NDT

that really is kind of sad. I can say with almost 100% certainty that we would fill Fouts (or maybe a new stadium in a few years??? biggrin.gif ) if we had a C-USA championship game there. Our fans come out when it matters. They will come to see teams they have heard of. They proved it with Tulsa, SMU, and Baylor.

I bet it ends up being sold out, however. I imagine they will have a lot of walk-ups, and students who haven't gotten their tickets yet. Not sure if the students get free admission to this game or not.

And to be fair, U of H has gotten a lot of love from the local media as of late.

I think our situation would be different. If were in the C-USA and in the championship game, our folks would be there. Denton, unlike Houston, is a true college town. To me, Houston is like UTD or UTA with D-IA athletic programs.

To me, it's not Houston football that's a mystery, but Houston basketball. They were one of the power baketball schools back in the day. Now, they can't reignite it no matter how hard they try. It's mind-boggling.

I think our situation would be different.  If were in the C-USA and in the championship game, our folks would be there.  Denton, unlike Houston, is a true college town.  To me, Houston is like UTD or UTA with D-IA athletic programs.

To me, it's not Houston football that's a mystery, but Houston basketball.  They were one of the power baketball schools back in the day.  Now, they can't reignite it no matter how hard they try.  It's mind-boggling.

Denton may be a college town, but they sure don't come to the football games like you would expect. If it were a high school championship I'm sure Fouts would be full.

Out marketing scheme might be to bill a game between Southlake Carroll and Denton Ryan then march out the Mean Green. The ol' bait and switch.

Denton may be a college town, but they sure don't come to the football games like you would expect.  If it were a high school championship I'm sure Fouts would be full.

We dont play any teams anyone has ever heard of. Thats the only reason people dont go to fouts to see the games. In the past, it may have been for other reasons, but the students these days will go see a game. Its just hard to get excited about the teams we play as a casual fan.

We dont play any teams anyone has ever heard of. Thats the only reason people dont go to fouts to see the games. In the past, it may have been for other reasons, but the students these days will go see a game. Its just hard to get excited about the teams we play as a casual fan.

QFMF'inT

I think it is also just as hard to get excited about our own team. Who wants to watch a team run into a brick wall for 3 hours. ph34r.gif

Look, we did well attendance-wise with Baylor, Tulsa, SMU. These are schools with plenty of alumni in the DFW area. They also have losts of kids on their rosters from the DFW area, so families show up to watch their sons and daughters play and cheer.

But, think about this...if we were in a championship game, and it were in Denton, you think people would treat it the same as a visit from FAU? I doubt it.

People get caught up in championship stuff. Remember back in 1987 when the Dallas Sidekicks were in the indoor soccer championship? Reunion Arena was sold out every night and rocking! I went with some friends just because people were talking about how fun it was.

We'd do better than Houston. This is a college town. No, it's not a college town that identifies itself on sports alone, but it's a good college town. If the football program were doing something big, people would get behind it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Denton may be a college town, but they sure don't come to the football games like you would expect.  If it were a high school championship I'm sure Fouts would be full.

Out marketing scheme might be to bill a game between Southlake Carroll and Denton Ryan then march out the Mean Green.  The ol' bait and switch.

The last time Denton Ryan played at SLC they sent back a good portion of their ticket allotment which Carroll quickly goobled up. Denton does not support any of its HS any better than its universities. Their was a reason it was named sorriest sports town in America a few years back. Until we begin to think as a part of the metroplex and not just as Denton our attendance will be mediocre at best, and a new "field of dreams" stadium will not change that either. Right now we could be giving a one for two with top 25 teams if the one was at Texas Stadium. There is a reason that our top draw ever was T$M @ TX Stadium.

Truth Patrol rolleyes.gif

Yeah, but UH has about $400 million in their school's endowment coffers and UNT ain't even close. sad.gif Since Bobby Ray has been the chairman of the UNT Board of Regents, how much has been raised to increase ours?

Yet $400 million for UH? Not bad for a commuter school that some on this board are actually comparing to UTA, eh? smile.gif UTA and UH are apples and oranges, fellow alums. smile.gif

And not to pour ice water on facilities that have been built recently or will have to be built at Eagle Point Campus but....................

..............folks, if we don't build these facilities at UNT how long do we even stay in the athletic business period?

RV should be commended for hitting some late inning home runs with all this, but if it had only been singles being hit at this point in time of our athletic history then our athletic program could have very well become history. NOTE: Not RV's fault at all, but all this building and fundraising happening recently to the present should and could have been done years ago, but we actually had fundraisers over in the NT Athletic Dept. who didn't realize that fund-raising was their job (if you can believe that). ph34r.gif (And thats all been within the last 10 or so years, too). ph34r.gif

Better late than never I suppose. rolleyes.gif

Some of you young gun alums (for yourselves) give all this another 30 plus years of hitting your own heads against the wall with all these UNT Athletic Dept. "would be's and could be's" and then you'll know where some of us are coming from with what may seem to you to be some frustration (which you'd be right about) on some of our's part with how all this has been handled at our main campus in Denton almost non-stop.

So can you really blame many, many, many of us (many of whom never post) for some of our non-trust or lack of faith in what many times has been our being led down numerous primrose lanes laced with bullshit from some very effective bullshitters in Denton, Texas, America, thru the years (and decades)? sad.gif

Have A Nice Day smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If it were a high school championship I'm sure Fouts would be full.  Our marketing scheme might be to bill a game between Southlake Carroll and Denton Ryan then march out the Mean Green.  The ol' bait and switch.

HS's have no desire to play at Fouts Field. It just simply has one of the worst football atmoshperes I have seen. Track around field is first problem. Secondly, the end zones being open. Just cannot get a cozy, loud or rowdy feel going. Hope the new stadium is a complete bowl and partially below grade. This really helps the fan feel a part of the game, noise carry and gets you into the game. Of course our team needs to be competitive. SMU has a great stadium. They just have snooty, fickle fans. If they would get off the "boulevard" and enter the stadium, it would be close to full. Rather, they tailgate/sit in front of their 50" flatscreens while the butler from home waits on them (sounds pretty darn good). Only problem is that this does not help the Team. We have so much potential!!

HS's have no desire to play at Fouts Field.  It just simply has one of the worst football atmoshperes I have seen.  Track around field is first problem.  Secondly, the end zones being open.  Just cannot get a cozy, loud or rowdy feel going.  Hope the new stadium is a complete bowl and partially below grade.  This really helps the fan feel a part of the game, noise carry and gets you into the game.  Of course our team needs to be competitive.  SMU has a great stadium.  They just have snooty, fickle fans.  If they would get off the "boulevard" and enter the stadium, it would be close to full.  Rather, they tailgate/sit in front of their 50" flatscreens while the butler from home waits on them (sounds pretty darn good).  Only problem is that this does not help the Team.  We have so much potential!!

How long you been watching games at Fouts Field, football fan? Just curious... smile.gif

In spite of all the recent cosmetics at Fouts, no one is going to ever take UNT serious as a school that has ambitions to climb any higher than the SBC/Bottom 25 until we build a new football stadium and hopefully one that we don't cut corners or down-size to too small a capacity which would keep the UT's, OU's and TAMU's from coming to Denton. wink.gif Of course, some of us have only been saying this about Fouts Field going on 4 plus decades. sad.gif

One of the few things Hayden Fry did that I didn't like was take games off our main campus to Texas Stadium; of course, we know all the reasons he had to do that with who we were playing which would be those who would never come to Fouts Field.

Yet had Fry been given the directive and challenge to raise Dallas/Denton/ Metroplex monies for a new stadium from the very beginning of his Mean Green coaching career and with NT officials saying (even back then) that we could not take MG football games off campus, I think we'd be in a major college stadium today.

Fry was a fundraising dynamo; not sure why we paid all that consultant money to Gene Stallings when we could have probably had Fry with far less to be a special assistant to the AD for DFW Metroplex fundraising. In 17 years as a HFC here in the Metroplex at both SMU and UNT, anyone else think Fry might know more than just a few heavy-hitter$ out there? BTW, one of his Mean Green football players in 1973 was some guy named Jim McIngvale.rolleyes.gif

Hayden Fry's first few months upon his arrival in Denton in December of 1972, he raised (back then) what many have told me would have been the equivalent of $1,000,000.oo today.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I am sorry to say but we will NEVER fill Fouts field on a consistent basis.  Nothing short of a crazy miracle would make anyone want to sit on a regular basis here:

user posted image

There's an old Broadway song titled: "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" but might we change the words of that title a bit to fit us in MG Country to: "On A Clear Day You Can See The South End Zone Seats (from the North End Zone Seats)? tongue.gif

I've never enjoyed watching games at Fouts Field from the first time I sat in it in September of 1973 and no matter how many times they polish that old t_rd of a football stadium, none of that will ever change the poor sightlines and the fact that the accoustics are terrible (as football fan referred to that in his above post).

IMPLODE FOUTS FIELD SOON!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

HS's have no desire to play at Fouts Field.  It just simply has one of the worst football atmoshperes I have seen.  Track around field is first problem.  Secondly, the end zones being open.  Just cannot get a cozy, loud or rowdy feel going.  Hope the new stadium is a complete bowl and partially below grade.  This really helps the fan feel a part of the game, noise carry and gets you into the game.  Of course our team needs to be competitive.  SMU has a great stadium.  They just have snooty, fickle fans.  If they would get off the "boulevard" and enter the stadium, it would be close to full.  Rather, they tailgate/sit in front of their 50" flatscreens while the butler from home waits on them (sounds pretty darn good).  Only problem is that this does not help the Team.  We have so much potential!!

fouts aint too hot, but its all we have for at least the next two+ years(thats roughly 2009) we need to bring family, friends, neighbors, cousins, friendsfromwork, panhandlers, or whoever we can find to some games to get BIS(butts in seats).