Pat Sullivan

bdan2002

Anyone else concerned that after a month of searching for a head coach that RV would try to contact Pat Sullivan?  If NT hasn't got better options than a coach that failed at TCU, who I think DD would agree had much better circumstances, then this search has made very little or no positive progress.

Granted some of these schools pay a heck of lot more money than we do, but yes it does concern me that we have yet to have any real solid people that are interviewing at least that we are hearing about. In the case of Sullivan, Bulter and Nix, all we really know is that they have been no more than just "contacted", yet we continue to hear of guys like Dodge who have expressed interest and have not been contacted.

I don't really want PS, but to think that in the time that his name came up as us contacting him, he has already been hired somewhere is very concerning.

Per ESPN this morning, Pat Sullivan to take over as HC and Watson Brown to take over as AD.

I can find no confirmation of this from ESPN or any media outlets. Where did you hear this? In fact, the Birmingham paper says he is the top choice for the Samford HC job and on the list for UNT......

The Birmingham News

Sullivan sits atop Bulldogs' short list

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

MIKE PERRIN and STEVE IRVINE

News staff writers

UAB assistant head football coach Pat Sullivan has emerged as the top candidate for the head job at Samford University.

Sullivan, 56, is atop a list of more than a dozen candidates being considered by Samford Athletics Director Bob Roller to replace Bill Gray. Roller said he had not yet conducted interviews with any potential coaches.

"Pat is a unique candidate," Roller said Tuesday. "He offers a unique opportunity that's worth pursuing. We're not at all at that stage, though."

Sullivan, who came to UAB in 1999, has been mentioned as a possible successor to Blazers coach Watson Brown and is also in the mix in the hunt for a new coach at North Texas.

"Yes, I did talk to Samford and I'm looking forward to talking to them again," Sullivan said.

The Auburn Heisman Trophy winner worked with the running backs this season for the Blazers and from 1999-2005 he was offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach. In that role, he tutored Darrell Hackney on his way to becoming one of the most prolific passers in Conference USA history.

Sullivan was head coach at TCU from 1992 to'97, where he signed LaDainian Tomlinson, and was an assistant for six years at Auburn under Pat Dye. He was a finalist last year for the head coaching position at Middle Tennessee State and as quarterbacks coach at the University of Arkansas.

A Birmingham native, Sullivan starred at John Carroll Catholic High School. He was a two-time All-American at Auburn and is a member of the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame, the National Football Foundation Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame.

Roller said there was no timetable for making the hire, but that the process could move quickly. He said the potential candidates range from current college head coaches to Division I-A associate head coaches to the NFL and the high school ranks.

Samford is also considering Dallas Cowboys assistant coach Mike MacIntyre.

MacIntyre is in his fourth year as a Cowboys' assistant. He coaches safeties for Bill Parcells and is the son of former Vanderbilt head coach George MacIntyre.

The 41-year-old MacIntyre played two years at Vandy and two years at Georgia Tech, where he graduated with a business management degree. He earned a master's degree while serving as a graduate assistant at the University of Georgia. He was defensive coordinator at Davidson College in 1992.

Anyone else concerned that after a month of searching for a head coach that RV would try to contact Pat Sullivan?  If NT hasn't got better options than a coach that failed at TCU, who I think DD would agree had much better circumstances, then this search has made very little or no positive progress.

Thats what im concerned about, im telling you we have gone to the bottom of the barrel with who we have contacted...

I can find no confirmation of this from ESPN or any media outlets.  Where did you hear this?  In fact, the Birmingham paper says he is the top choice for the Samford HC job and on the list for UNT......

I was listening to Galloway just a few minutes ago and they were sending congratulations to Pat on the new job.

And I certainly I not worried that we are not hearing exactly who has and has not been called for out job opening. You would not want that information to be very public. Some will leak, but the less that does the better.

For one thing, I’m sure not every candidate is being offered the same financial package. You would not want the candidates to be able to compare notes!

Another reason is some candidates I’m sure don’t want their current employers to know they are looking - especially if they don’t get/take the job!

UNT doesn't need to narrow the HC field...other schools are doing that for us.

Why do I get the feeling NT is going to settle for "the one who is left" after everyone else grabs everyone else?

Not starting rumors...just a feeling.