Recruiting Update

OldTimer

NT recruiting was placed on a temporary hold, but that is longer. They are evaluating those prospects that showed an interest, will pursue them with info on North Texas trying to hold them until the new coach is determined. Rumor has it that not all NT coaches will be recruiting (no names are mentioned but I bet RF will not be one of those) and that they will concentrate in the metroplex and those players that had really expressed an interest or that had committed to NT. Rumor also has it that NT had what they had committed to NT upwards to a dozen players.

I have heard that one prospect that had commited to NT, was previously committed to Baylor and another to TT, that another is between UTEP and NT and that a big lineman from the metroplex had just committed prior to the firing. We were onto a JC WR that NT had helped placed at his JC, who has committed to another Big Ten school that we still might have a shot at.

Folks it all depends upon who is hired as head coach and who he retains and hires as assistants. We can only hope each of these has strong recognition in TX.

Just imagine the immediate impact if TD is hired....I would expect a flood of players would suddently be interested in NT>

The board of regents is meeting Friday from what I hear, we might either have a coach by then or the board might approve a head coach contract ahead of having one committed to be selected or become known later , up to a certain amount for a coach to be selected later.

Edited by OldTimer

OT, did you see the kid from the Area Top 50 considering UNT in the Startlegram a couple of days ago?

He is the grandson of the NT ex all pro football player at North Texas Abner Haynes. He is listed as between NT and UTEP at this time. His grandfather was at the last NT home game and interviewed on the air with a Dr. King...both of which were the first black players to break the color line at NT. I believe whether he comes to NT depends upon the new coach.

Just a note on another X Jordan Case, the car dealer who advertising on NT radio, he was a former NT QB....transfered in from a smaller school and was great for NT. He had a major back problem but played anyway. Remember once when an opposing player hit him in the back after he was down.

OT - thanks for the updates! I was more than a little worried that all recruiting had ceased since DD's dismissal. It's nice to know that some contact is still being made with potential recruits. That being said, I'd still prefer to have names and more details so UNT fans (including myself) could research, read about and even watch HS playoff games with potential future Mean Green stars.

I hope that our new coaching staff abandons the failed stealth recruiting techniques.