Has Chambers said no?

emmitt01

From the high school coaching blog that Harry linked below:

Bruce Chambers turned down the interview, said he was concentrating on getting Texas to a BCS bowl. Coach from JMU is also a hot name in Denton. HC from Midwestern State is another name as well as the Sam Houston St Head guy. What I heard is a couple people would have to turn the job down for Dodge to even get an interview, say folks want to see him in the college ranks as an established recruiter first. dont shoot the messenger.

From Cooley re. Chambers on the M&G board....

........................................................................................................

Date Posted: Mon, November 27 2006, 19:46:33

Author: Cooley

Subject: Re: I think Chambers name is being used as a smoke screen

In reply to: SUE 's message, "Re: I think Chambers name is being used as a smoke screen" on Mon, November 27 2006, 19:05:18

According to a very reliable source today, Bruce Chambers was offered the job. For some reason, he feels that he is too old to relocate and start over. (Age 48) He does have a good situation at UT at about $130,000 base.

I've personally known Bruce from our NTSU days to present. Being totally objective, I think this would be a bad hire. From my years of following Bruce and Dallas Carter, I felt that the team was undisciplined & without proper preparation. Game day strategy was not Bruce's strong suit.

Though he has a strong background to the inner city of Southern Dallas County, he has been away long enough where I fear existing coaches don't have any loyalties.

As a former player at Carter, Chambers was able to join the Carter coaching staff under Freddie James (after graduating for NT). Carter High School had unbelievable talent (12-15 D1 kids; 5-10 more at a lower level each year) during his entire stay.

Many followers of the program grew tired of Freddie James to the point where he retired. Most felt that Carter, despite advancing deep in the playoffs, underachieved annually. Carter was also marred with ineligibility concerns and grade scandals under James' watch.

Bruce was the defensive coordinator at a time that Carter had 8-9 kids playing on his defense. He was the hand picked choice of James to take over after his retirement. Bruce didn't change much during his short stint as HC before Mack Brown hired him away to UT. Brown, as the new UT coach, made no secret of the fact that he wanted to get into Dallas Carter. Bruce benefited by being at the right place at the right time.

I agree that it's important to hire a coach with local ties and being a UNT alum would help. I just can't get excited about Bruce Chambers though.

We couldn't go wrong with either of these guys but I would have to lead with Whitten simply because he put some exciting offenses together while at Tarleton that was fun to watch and he is deeply rooted from the state of Texas.

I watched Whitten play while an incoming freshman at Stephen F. Austin (my road to Denton passed through Nacogdoches, Richland Junior College and UTA). If I recall correctly, he threw down a pretty fierce mullet.