New Coach

Eagle9297v2

Some of you might remember me from posts a few years ago. I was Eagle9297 then. Clever new nickname I know.

Anyway, there is a leading candidate for the Head Coach slot that I havent seen mentioned here and I thought you should know he has made the finalist list.

Bruce Chambers from UT. He is the Tight Ends coach and recruiting coordinator.

My sources say he is the leading candidate at this point.

By the way, I continue to uphold my pledge to never use the emoticons. Some things are just wrong.

Here's my first set of interview questions:

1.) Do you have any connections to furniture or appliance company owners?

2.) Would you consider the situation at UNT:

a.) Difficult

b.) Tougher than most

c.) a great opportunity

d.) the toughest place to recruit in the country

Any others?

3.) Were you one of the coaches on Friday Night Lights asking how many black stripes the zebras had? Haha, nah but he really does seem to have a great resume.

Here's my first set of interview questions:

1.) Do you have any connections to furniture or appliance company owners?

2.) Would you consider the situation at UNT:

a.) Difficult

b.) Tougher than most

c.) a great opportunity

d.) the toughest place to recruit in the country

Any others?

3. Do have feelings of persecution and believe that the world is against you?

4. Can you handle a little overblown, knee-jerk criticism from well-meaning if sometimes boneheaded boosters whose only crime is wanting to see their program succeed? Because if you can't deal with this board, then you better find another line of work.

Hmmm....I'm very interested. My one concern is this:

A four-year letterman as a wide receiver and a two-time letterwinner in track & field at North Texas, Chambers earned his degree in journalism in 1982. He began his coaching career in 1984 as a freshman coach at Carter and then moved over to tutor the junior varsity's offense from 1986-88.

While at Carter, Chambers helped develop future NFL players Jessie Armstead (LB, New York Giants & Washington Redskins), Jirmetrius Butler (CB, St. Louis Rams), Greg Hill (RB, Kansas City Chiefs & Detroit Lions), Kendall Jacox (OL, New Orleans Saints) and Darryl Jones (WR, New York Giants).

Wasn't 1999 the year the Carter HS football stars decided to moonlight as bank robbers??? (Which means they may have been JV players in '88)

Other than that one little, miniscule footnote, he sounds like a terrific candidate.

Chambers looks really impressive, especially given the UNT and Dallas Carter ties.

Looking at his gigs, I'm curious about why he left the head coaching position at Carter after only two seasons in 1997. Anyone recall what Carter was like in those years?

Ummm, maybe he left to coach at Texas?

Guest JohnDenver

My friend at UT said he would personally come kick the teeth in of the person that hires Chambers.

He is of the opinion that "coordinating recruits" at UT isn't a hard job. They have ALL the talent within Texas knocking on their door. All he has to do is keep track of them, not go find them.

He also says that Chambers bounced around the program not really excelling at any job... TE coach (I think) and other stuff.

I really trust this friend's opinion.