DallasNews.com UNT Blog

UNTLifer

I am definitely against Nix.  I don't want our program to be someone's first head coaching job.

There's plenty to be said for head coaches at lower-level programs, but there's nothing wrong with coaches who have not been a head coach. Moving up from smaller programs can be just as difficult as the move to head coach. Just ask G.A. Moore, a legend at Pilot Point and Celina, but he was uncomfortable at 5A Sherman and quickly returned to 2A.

Remember, every great head coach had to get a first head-coaching job somewhere.

I share your concern about getting a "first time" head coach. And I agree. However, I think North Texas is only going to be able to get a OC or a DC to fill this vacancy. Todd Dodge being the exception and he is from the high school ranks.

Now, name for me all the NT head coaches that came to NT as a prior head coach. Please don't list Hayden Fry. Everyone knows that. I just can't think of another head coach here that used to be a head man.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season TIckets

GO MEAN GREEN

Now, name for me all the NT head coaches that came to NT as a prior head coach.  Please don't list Hayden Fry. 

Dennis Parker was a high school head coach at Marshal.

Bob Tyler was head coach at Miss. State - at least I THINK it was Miss. State.

Hayden Fry was head coach at SMU.

I think that's it. I'd say we are 1 for 3 in hiring people who were previously head coaches.