DRC/DMN post game article

NT03

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"I had a lot of fun," Dickey said. "It was very challenging. We accomplished some things that a lot of people thought under the circumstances would be impossible to do. We tried to do things the right way and never wavered from that."

Hmmmm.. Never heard that one before blink.gif

UNT contacts South Carolina's Nix: South Carolina defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix acknowledged after the Gamecocks' win over Clemson that he had been contacted by UNT athletic department officials about the school's opening for a head coach.

Nix spent 10 seasons on Southern Miss' staff, including four as defensive coordinator, before going to South Carolina. Rick Villarreal spent three years at Southern Miss before becoming UNT's athletic director in the spring of 2001.

Is this guy RVs #1 choice u think ??

Edited by NT03

I just have a feeling that this team needs an offense minded coach badly. We haven't played bad defense in quite some time. We just leave the D on the field too long.

Agree, but I think we need an O coach more on the fact of being able to put butts in the seats. Put a good,fun product on the field that can put up some points and you will see an increase in fans. Id take Nix in a heartbeat for our new D coordinator , but does anyone think he could come in right away and create a buzz for recruting ? It could take him a few years I think , but I really dont see the fan base wanting to wait around for a few more years to "rebuild". But, if RV did hire this guy Id wait to pass judgement until I saw his product on the field.

I just have a feeling that this team needs an offense minded coach badly. We haven't played bad defense in quite some time. We just leave the D on the field too long.

No, we need a smart coach who knows how to utilize talent. Didn't you read the article FFR found on the offensive hot shot we brought in 9 years ago to replace Simon.

Taking the heir apparent to Spurrier at South Carolina wouldn't be a bad thing. Nix doesn't appear to be some slouch from Southern Miss. He looks ready to be a head coach.

No, we need a smart coach who knows how to utilize talent.  Didn't you read the article FFR found on the offensive hot shot we brought in 9 years ago to replace Simon.

Taking the heir apparent to Spurrier at South Carolina wouldn't be a bad thing.  Nix doesn't appear to be some slouch from Southern Miss.  He looks ready to be a head coach.

Im wondering how long Nix is under contract for at SC. Rumors have swirled about about Spurrier and the Miami job. Could Nix replace Spurrier soon? If still under contract , would they let him leave ?

No, we need a smart coach who knows how to utilize talent.  Didn't you read the article FFR found on the offensive hot shot we brought in 9 years ago to replace Simon.

Taking the heir apparent to Spurrier at South Carolina wouldn't be a bad thing.  Nix doesn't appear to be some slouch from Southern Miss.  He looks ready to be a head coach.

(Now, into the fray steps new coach Darrell Dickey, 38, who spent last season as offensive coordinator at SMU. The cupboard isn't bare--Simon was a decent recruiter And if Dickey, who plans to install a balanced pro-style offense, can develop a quarterback, the Eagles may challenge for the Big West tide and a bowl bid.

Dickey's plan for development is smart. He knows one of his biggest assets is location. Denton is 35 miles north of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

"I have nothing against junior college players," he says. "But I only want to recruit them for severe needs. Foremost, I want high schools kids from the area so their family, friends, buddies-whoever--will come see them and fill our stands.")

I don't think he did anything that this article mentions so I don't see how DD could relate to any of the successful offense minded candidates being considered.

I don't think he did anything that this article mentions so I don't see how DD could relate to any of the successful offense minded candidates being considered.

My point is that coming in, we thought we had an offensive minded coach. Obviously you cannot tell what you have until some time later.

Overall: DD did leave UNT better off than when he got here; and as such we should be able to really get some good candidates for this job.

Yep RV is going through Southern Miss people again....He wont find a new coach unless he has Southern Miss ties with that person...

For all you people who want a coach with Texas ties forget about it

1. RV has to get a coach who has been a part in Southern Miss Athletics in any way, even if he was the guy who changed the urinals

2. RV cannot find or get other coaches to notice our program

3. RV cant get the attention of anyone besides his old buddies at Southern Miss

Looks like we will be taking a chance with whoever he brings here to UNT.

Yep RV is going through Southern Miss people again....He wont find a new coach unless he has Southern Miss ties with that person...

1. RV has to get a coach who has been a part in Southern Miss Athletics in any way, even if he was the guy who changed the urinals

Could you have anymore of a knee-jerk reaction?

I fully expect RV to find the best person for the job.

If RV is able to convince a assistant head coach from a SEC school to come to UNT; isn't that a good thing?

Do you follow recruiting? If so, then you realize that it's the assistant coaches that actually recruit. So then it would be the assistant coaches who would need the Texas ties.

Could you have anymore of a knee-jerk reaction?

I fully expect RV to find the best person for the job.

If RV is able to convince a assistant head coach from a SEC school to come to UNT; isn't that a good thing?

Do you follow recruiting?  If so, then you realize that it's the assistant coaches that actually recruit.  So then it would be the assistant coaches who would need the Texas ties.

He's a defensive coordinator at SC in his 2nd year there after 10 at USM, not sure if he is the asst HC. He is only 33 years old. No Texas connections that I could find, a Deep South guy who has only coached defense.

He's a defensive coordinator at SC in his 2nd year there after 10 at USM, not sure if he is the asst HC. He is only 33 years old. No Texas connections that I could find, a Deep South guy who has only coached defense.

In one of the articles that Harry posted, it mentions him being the assistant head coach. My only real concern about him is that he is at a SEC school, where football is king. I wonder how he will do in a more "adverse" environment. And I wonder where he'd get his assistant coaches from.

Nix is one fiery SOB. I've watched 4 or 5 SC games this year (I swear, they're always on TV), and you can't miss the guy... barking into his headset, at players, running up and down the sidelines, nearly jumping into piles. Though this would surely be toned down as HC, he's about as passionate as passionate gets.

Not saying he's my first choice, but don't let a USM connection give you an instant negative impression on this guy -- a young, visible, energetic SEC coordinator is not a bad way to go. And having a couple years working with coaches who run Spurrier's Fun n' Gun offense under his belt, the guy has to know some decent offensive minds.

I know he's no 65+ year old retread with a "big name" for something he did at a major BCS school 20 years ago, but as far as making a splash nationally goes, hiring a well thought of SEC coordinator ain't half bad. Plus, if i'm not mistaken, he'd be the only African-American D1 head coach in Texas -- and I know, I know, it doesn't matter when hiring the best guy -- but for PR sakes, it sure as hell doesn't hurt either.

Yes let RV do his job. I trust RV.

Nix is one fiery SOB. I've watched 4 or 5 SC games this year (I swear, they're always on TV), and you can't miss the guy... barking into his headset, at players, running up and down the sidelines, nearly jumping into piles. Though this would surely be toned down as HC, he's about as passionate as passionate gets.

Not saying he's my first choice, but don't let a USM connection give you an instant negative impression on this guy -- a young, visible, energetic SEC coordinator is not a bad way to go. And having a couple years working with coaches who run Spurrier's Fun n' Gun offense under his belt, the guy has to know some decent offensive minds.

I know he's no 65+ year old retread with a "big name" for something he did at a major BCS school 20 years ago, but as far as making a splash nationally goes, hiring a well thought of SEC coordinator ain't half bad. Plus, if i'm not mistaken, he'd be the only African-American D1 head coach in Texas -- and I know, I know, it doesn't matter when hiring the best guy -- but for PR sakes, it sure as hell doesn't hurt either.

His being a defensive coordinator isn't as important as his ability (or lack thereof) to hire a really good offensive coordinator and let that guy do his job. The head coach in many places will do this, especially if their experience has been primarily on the defensive side of the ball. I hope that, if RV hires him or someone like him, that he will closely examine his attitude about the offense and how he intends to manage it.

I never tire of reading your posts. I live with someone who works with the news media day in and day out and it gets so tiresome hearing her only speak about things with a factual basis and credibility. You're like a breath of fresh air with your left-field rantings and conjecture.

My only problem with NIX would be that he is not currently a HC. Meaning , if hired, he could take him some time to find a "crew". How long would this take him ? The longer it takes him the more it would hurt recruiting. Bringing in a HC who already has his staff in order ; then the quicker they can start to recruit.