This time it's Sports Illustrated!

eagle60

Today's Sports Illustrated arrived a few minutes ago, and there it was under the "Scoreboard" category.

"Announced eight days after North Texas football coach Darrell Dikey was fired, that the school's atletic facility will be named for him. Dickey led the Mean Green to a 42-63 record in nine seasons and after a 3-8 start this year was axed on Nov. 8. The move angered Jim McIngvale, a Houston furniture magnate and one of North Texas' highest profile boosters, who gave the school an ultimatum: Honor Dickey or he would redirect a $1 million gift he gave the athletic department to the music program. Said athletic director Rick Villreal, "You have to keep the boosters best wishes in mind."

What sort of a gutless impression does an article like this make?

mad.gif

Good gosh people act like this is our one and only ever donor!

We loved Mattress Mac's contribution and I hope he continues to support the Mean Green, but there are good things to come and bigger contributions!

It is water under the bridge and the future is GREEN!

GMG

Today's Sports Illustrated arrived a few minutes ago, and there it was under the "Scoreboard" category.   

"Announced eight days after North Texas football coach Darrell Dikey was fired, that the school's atletic facility will be named for him.  Dickey led the Mean Green to a 42-63 record in nine seasons and after a 3-8 start this year was axed on Nov. 8.  The move angered Jim McIngvale, a Houston furniture magnate and one of North Texas' highest profile boosters, who gave the school an ultimatum:  Honor Dickey or he would redirect a $1 million gift he gave the athletic department to the music program.  Said athletic director Rick Villreal, "You have to keep the boosters best wishes in mind."

What sort of a gutless impression does an article like this make?

mad.gif

I'm sorry, but this article doesn't make any impression on us, except that we are influenced by money like every other college in the nation. This article will not harm us in ANY way whatsoever. Our 4-17 record over 2 years harms us more than anything. No one will remember this article except you and those that get angry over it. It was convenient story for a slow media day... that's all. No one really cares what we name our facilities. Right now we are eating humble pie. Start winning games with our new coach and all the ugliness will disappear over night.

Edited by chrisfisher

I'm sorry, but this article doesn't make any impression on us, except that we are influenced by money like every other college in the nation.

That's what it says to me, too. Maybe there's a positive -- you can't have a pissed-off seven-figure booster if you don't have a seven-figure booster in the first place.

Dickey led the Mean Green to a 42-63 record in nine seasons and after a 3-8 start this year was axed on Nov. 8.  

What sort of a impression does an article like this make?

Those facts, 42-63, say UNT did the right thing by firing him!!! biggrin.gif

Now, about Miami firing a coach that goes 59-15? ohmy.gif

Edited by NT80

If this had been printed in a daily newspaper I wouldn't be so concerned about it. But here its in Sports Illustrated magazine, that will hang around for a month in circulation, and will require some explanations to football prospect players and coaches. Just not a pretty image of our alma mater.

I'm sorry, but this article doesn't make any impression on us, except that we are influenced by money like every other college in the nation.  This article will not harm us in ANY way whatsoever. Our 4-17 record over 2 years harms us more than anything.  No one will remember this article except you and those that get angry over it.  It was convenient story for a slow media day... that's all. No one really cares what we name our facilities.  Right now we are eating humble pie.  Start winning games with our new coach and all the ugliness will disappear over night.

I agree. I really don't care anymore what is printed that has anything to do with the DD era. He is done, so let's play tomorrow and move on.

Those facts, 42-63, say UNT did the right thing by firing him!!!  biggrin.gif

Now, about Miami firing a coach that goes 59-15?  ohmy.gif

I think it just shows how drastic the standards are between the two schools.

sports illustrated isn't the only one that is making us look bad on this, last week jim rome, who tries to be too hip and is annoying, was taking a shot at us for naming the practice facility after dickey

These silly negative media comments are the kind of things that are done/said when you win 4 games in 2 years. We are easy media targets, and they need a good laugh. Grin and bear it. This will all change once we start winning again. Y'all need to mentally prepare yourself for 24/7 media coverage if we hire Dodge, which some coverage will be really positive, while other coverage will be scathing.

By they way, the so-called media experts that criticize us for naming our fields after DD obviously do not know our football history and are ignorant themselves. Yes, we had 2 losing seasons under DD, but he took the football program from obscurity to places (SBC Championships, NO bowel, etc.) we have never been or hadn't been in long while. Many teams have asked a coach to leave, but still honor his accomplishments.