Coker fired...

BIG DAWG

If anyone saw Coker's press conference when he got officially fired this morning, he was all class...unlike our own outgoing coach here at NT.

Never once disrespected the "U" in any way, and was pleasant with with reporters, and bascially said he didn't get the job done and there were would be other options out there for him.

No list of accomplishments, and you won't see any all black uniforms from Mr. Coker.

5 yrs away from back to back trips to the Natl. Champ. games, winning one, and a bowl eligible team this year...still showing class at his press conference being fired.

If anyone saw Coker's press conference when he got officially fired this morning, he was all class...unlike our own outgoing coach here at NT.

Never once disrespected the "U" in any way, and was pleasant with with reporters, and bascially said he didn't get the job done and there were would be other options out there for him.

No list of accomplishments, and you won't see any all black uniforms from Mr. Coker.

5 yrs away from back to back trips to the Natl. Champ. games, winning one, and a bowl eligible team this year...still showing class at his press conference being fired.

So he is 5 years removed from a Nat'l Title with an 80% winning percentage, yet the media complained about UNT firing a coach after 9 years and 20 games below .500.

What great expectations the media had for UNT!!

The media rips UNT for firing a coach 20 games under .500 but expects Coker 59-15 to be fired for weeks?

Miami fires coach Larry Coker

By TIM REYNOLDS, AP Sports Writer

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - Larry Coker's tumultuous and disappointing season at Miami ended with his dismissal as head coach.

Coker was fired Friday, a move that was expected for weeks. It came one day after the Hurricanes finished a 6-6 regular season by beating Boston College, snapping a four-game losing streak and becoming bowl-eligible.

Coker will coach the team in a bowl game, if Miami is invited, athletic director Paul Dee said.

"I'd like to certainly end on a positive note," Coker said.

After the game, he said he expected to remain at Miami "a long time." But less than 12 hours later, despite a 59-15 record and two appearances in the national championship game, Coker was gone — doomed largely by 12 losses in the last three seasons, and no conference titles or major bowl bids since 2003.

He had three seasons left on a contract that paid him about $2 million annually.

"There were a lot of issues, but certainly the direction the program was going was certainly one," Dee said. "I wouldn't say that was totally it, but if you want to look in that direction, that was one. There were disappointments. There were opportunities, I think, to play better and we didn't. It all comes to the head coach."

There are plenty of potential candidates to replace Coker, including former Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez, who is close with Miami president Donna Shalala; Rutgers coach and former Miami assistant Greg Schiano; and Tulsa coach Steve Kragthorpe.

Former Florida coach and current South Carolina boss Steve Spurrier said earlier this week that he expects to be back with the Gamecocks next fall for his third season — trying to rebuke a story that identified him as Miami's top choice for the job.

Um... It's been like 2 hours.

No chance for players and assistants to respond. Dollar to a donut their going to say things like their "totally shocked."

List of accomplishments? ESPN runs them everytime they show the clip. Give the national and Miami press an hour or two and they'll start running stories on Cokers accomplishments.

No black uniforms. Let's see what the players do to show their respect at the bowl game. A player's loyality is to their coach, a fan's loyality is to the school.

I don't know about you other Mean Green fans but I don't want my school's football team to turn into a gang.  I think Coker did his recruiting out on the streets.

Coker has done his best to clean up Miami. They are in better shape now than what they were before his arrival.

I really don't see Mike Leach being hired there. He has had no defense to speak of at TT. I wouldn't be surprised if Riecht at Georgia, or even Houston Nutt at Arkansas are possibilities.

As far as Coker goes, he was a class act in that press conference. Once again, he is a winner that will get another job soon.

I really don't see Mike Leach being hired there.  He has had no defense to speak of at TT.  I wouldn't be surprised if Riecht at Georgia, or even Houston Nutt at Arkansas are possibilities.

As far as Coker goes, he was a class act in that press conference.  Once again, he is a winner that will get another job soon.

Hopefully ours rolleyes.gif

An ESPN Article talks about potential replacements for Coker. One of the candidates is their defensive coordinator.

But because Coker was elevated from offensive coordinator to head coach when Butch Davis left for the Cleveland Browns after the 2000 season, Miami might be hesitant to give Shannon the job this time.

Shannon also is believed to be a candidate to replace Florida International coach Don Strock, who resigned Nov. 15.

I would think that would be a major coup for FIU, snatching UM's defensive coordinator.