DRC Small back/big stats

OldTimer

Football: Small back putting up big stats

Freshman ran for over 200 yards filling in for Thomas

07:48 PM CST on Thursday, November 23, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

One of the smallest players on North Texas roster made a big impression on a college football legend last week.

Evan Robertson didn’t look like much of a threat to Florida Atlantic head coach Howard Schnellenberger before the Mean Green’s game against the Owls. The redshirt freshman running back could be mistaken for one of the ball boys at 5-9 and 164 pounds.

Once he got his chance against the Owls, Robertson played a whole lot bigger in a 17-16 loss, breaking free for 201 rushing yards.

“Robertson played well against us,” Schnellenberger said. “He’s not very big or strong, but he is stronger than his weight indicates and he is very fast and elusive.”

Robetson became the first UNT running back to rush for 200 yards since Jamario Thomas posted a school record 291 yards on the ground in a win over Idaho in 2004.

Thomas has carried the load for UNT again this season, but struggled with a series of injuries, opening the door for Robertson and fellow backup Deavin Cox. Both have shown signs that they could post a big game at any time, whether it comes on Saturday in the Mean Green’s regular season finale at Louisiana-Monroe or next season under UNT’s next coach.

UNT head coach Darrell Dickey was fired on Nov. 8 and will coach his last game when the Mean Green takes on the Warhawks.

One of Dickey’s strengths during his tenure has been finding productive high school players who don’t fit the mold for Division I-A players and giving them a chance to prove themselves.

Former national rushing champion Patrick Cobbs fell into that category because of his lack of speed. Robertson had the speed, but lacks the ideal size.

“I was being recruited a lot after my junior year as a defensive back,” said Robertson, a former Pflugerville standout. “After my senior season a lot of schools dropped me. Coach Dickey was the only one who gave me a chance. I have tried to give it all I can.”

Robertson and the rest of UNT’s backup running backs didn’t appear as if they would have much of an opportunity to play a major role this season due to the return of former national rushing champion Jamario Thomas.

Thomas struggled last season to overcome a hamstring injury, but returned this season seemingly at full strength. The former Longview Spring Hill standout had a few solid games early in the year before shoulder and ankle injuries started to catch up with him.

“The big issue for Jamario is he is not 100 percent,” Dickey said. “We played some good defenses early and Jamario carried the load. He has a sore ankle and bad shoulders. He has been hit in the backfield before he has gotten started more than any running back I have ever coached. Evan is fresh and has not gotten beaten down. The fresher guy is getting the numbers.”

Robertson isn’t the only backup who has seen his role expand late in the season. Cox moved from defensive back to running back in spring practice, but was buried behind Thomas and Robertson on UNT’s depth chart.

Cox got his chance to shine while playing with UNT’s “Green Team” of offensive backups that has practiced and played as a unit since the week leading up to a loss to Louisiana Tech on Nov. 4.

Cox responded with a couple of solid outings with the “Green Team,” including a 98-yard game in a win over Louisiana-Lafayette.

Offensive lineman Joel Foster was one of several UNT players who said they have not been surprised by the contributions Cox and Robertson have made.

“We started to see Deavin make plays on special teams,” Foster said. “He finally got a shot on offense and has capitalized on his opportunities.”

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.