Black Uniforms Cause Backlash

MeanGreen61

Black uniforms cause backlash

Abel Prado

Issue date: 11/22/06 Section: NEWS

As head coach Darrell Dickey's final home game at Fouts Field faded to black in a 17-16 loss to Florida Atlantic this Saturday, so did the color of the Mean Green uniforms.

Several students were upset when they saw the traditional green-colored jerseys replaced with "plain Jane" uniforms that do not display the player's names, the color green nor any reference, logo or insignia related to NT.

In correspondence to the Daily, alumnus Shane Bevel accused the black jerseys of violating NCAA logo regulations and uniform guidelines. After extensive research of the NCAA rulebook, it was clear that such charges are ill conceived, said NCAA spokeswoman Renee Scales.

"The rules strictly stipulate what can be on a uniform, but it doesn't restrict any lack of logo, school branding or manufacture logo," Scales said. "The teams are perfectly free to go play a game in plain jerseys so long as they have contrasting colors, and they do not violate any illegal equipment regulations."

Even if the jerseys had violated any logo restriction rules, the ramifications would be non-existent as the NCAA rules state that all punishment for illegal equipment on uniform matters are punished by charged timeouts, five yard penalties and delay of game assessments.

All punishments are assessed in-game and hold no justification for suspensions, fines or further repercussions, according to the NCAA rule book and Renee Scales.

Mystery still shrouds the arrival of the black jerseys, as their ominous arrival preceding the firing of Dickey. Athletic Director Rick Villarreal was out of town when the jerseys arrived and Dickey did not return several calls seeking comment, though he did say in a post-game conference that the jerseys were the result of the players liking the color and nothing more.

Student Government Association President Alan Ross, among other student body leaders, spoke out against the jerseys Tuesday.

"I think that it was a lack of school spirit," said Ross, who, along with the Speaker of the Senate Chris Brown, passed a resolution encouraging the boosters to continue their support for the athletic program.

Villarreal said he did not see the jerseys but shed light on allegations of NCAA restrictions.

"It should be said that the jerseys did not violate any NCAA regulations or restrictions," Villarreal said. "We should all acknowledge that coach Dickey was a great coach and that is how his reputation should be remembered."

The Mean Green will close out the season this weekend when it travels to Louisiana to face Louisiana-Monroe.

Edited by MeanGreen61

I was scanning the NCAA rule book, along the lines of I believe Code 16.8.2 something or another(There's a crap load of reading to just find that), and I couldn't find anything either. But equipment managers do have a set of rules to follow and the only thing the NCAA required that I was able to find was that if we had used another sponsor's logo, say Reebock rather than New Balance. Shane may have found something I didn't though. Like I said, it's a lot of reading.

I found out that the numbers were "Iron-On" like what you get down at the local T shirt shop. I'm surprised no one's numbers came off during the game.

I am however happy to see that our student body and the student goverment folks have enough spirit to find a problem with the lack of school recognition in the whole thing. It shows that the Mean Green spirit is growing.

It's All Good, and All Green!!!!!!

Rick

Part of the problem I have with the story is the lack of information on the sun belt and more importantly the uniform sponsors (reebok? NB? I can't remember who it is this year) I would think that because they are paid sponsors there would be contractual obligations to use their gear. Maybe not?

I trust that there was no NCAA violation as reported.

The correction that I requested was on the statement that I accused anything. I simply asked if there was a violation or contract problem... thats all. That is what I am upset about and as far as I know that the only thing incorrect in this story.

For clarity... I have not investigated or accused anything... I only posed the question. I expect the reporters covering the situation will do the research.

Shane

Edited by shaneb