Dickey, you showed why you were fired...

Green Grenade II

Kind of like betting the future of the program on a spin of the roulette wheel. I know long shots do come in sometimes.

And don’t get me wrong, he might be the first guy in 30 years to successfully jump directly from high school to college. But why to the extreme risk when there are other guys out there who know the job already.

Go ask Gary Pinkel if Dodge's offense will work in College. Seems to be functioning just fine for Mizzou. Would it be a risk? Sure, any hiring will come with some risk, but it's not like he doesn't have coaching experience. We wouldn't be getting Vic Trilli part two here, he obviously knows how to coach. Combo that with the recruiting windfall we'd get and hell yes he's worth the risk. Give me Dodge or Carthel and watch this thing get good in a hurry.

Didnt DD say that all the players liked the black unis back in week one. I remember during a the pregame interview before UT he said that the black ones are prefered by the players, and all my player freinds say that the black unis are there favorite. I dont think this is classless DD wanted to give his players what they wanted.

I thought this was a football forum not a fashion one?

Didnt DD say that all the players liked the black  unis back in week one. I remember during a the pregame interview before UT he said that the black ones are prefered by the players, and all my player freinds say that the black unis are there favorite. I dont think this is classless DD wanted to give his players what they wanted.

If all the players liked the black uniforms, why did they say "How do you like our prison uniforms?" on the field after the game. The truth is, the players didn't like the black uniforms any more than the rest of us. And on top of that, they weren't even real jerseys. The real jerseys didn't get finished so someone locally made these on the spur of the moment. That's why the numbers were iron-on and nobody's name was on them. Classless, HA. DD would have to step up on this one to be considered classless.

Didnt DD say that all the players liked the black  unis back in week one. I remember during a the pregame interview before UT he said that the black ones are prefered by the players, and all my player freinds say that the black unis are there favorite. I dont think this is classless DD wanted to give his players what they wanted.

So you're fine with just a plain black prison jersey, that does not say the Schoolname nor does it have the proper logos.

You wonder why UNT is trouble with this thought process.

point #1: hire Dodge and the alums will come to meet him first--he will not have to seek them out in the beginning. creativity, organization, program selling and the biggest publicity and excitement by far of anyone we could attract. Sorry, a utep or southern miss asst. will only rate several paragraphs one time.

point #2: someone in RV's office should have denied any p.o. with black uniforms--it should take more than a coach or some players to change school colors.

Yep i am fine with it. You should have to earn the right to represent our school. Two years five wins maybe next year they should just get pants and pads with no jerseys, i am still thinking thinking if they deserve helmets or not.

So yall think DD sat down in his chair and though how can i stick to them, let me order black unis with no name or logos, come on. he did some thing for the team and it backfired.

I would like all dark green unis with no names with dark green helmets to match. no logos or names.

So you're fine with just a plain black prison jersey, that does not say the Schoolname nor does it have the proper logos.

You wonder why UNT is trouble with this thought process.

I can't read people's minds, and I have zero facts about the actual origin of the black uniforms. But in the interest of fairness, I will say this: Someone posting on another topic criticized some of the players for walking up the tunnel after the game while the Green Brigade was still playing Glory to the Green. I was standing on the left side of the band, just over the tunnel, and saw some of the players leave during the song. I really couldn't blame them -- they're kids who had just suffered a heartbreaking, last-minute loss before a thin crowd. But when I saw Coach Dickey approaching the tunnel, he paused and stood alone, facing the band, and performed the ritual talon salute that goes with the song. I don't think many people noticed him, so I don't think he was doing it to get attention. Like I said, I'm not a mind-reader, and people can fill in whatever motivation they believe. But I just thought that small scene was worth putting on the record.

I can't read people's minds, and I have zero facts about the actual origin of the black uniforms.  But in the interest of fairness, I will say this:  Someone posting on another topic criticized some of the players for walking up the tunnel after the game while the Green Brigade was still playing Glory to the Green.  I was standing on the left side of the band, just over the tunnel, and saw some of the players leave during the song.  I really couldn't blame them -- they're kids who had just suffered a heartbreaking, last-minute loss before a thin crowd.  But when I saw Coach Dickey approaching the tunnel, he paused and stood alone, facing the band, and performed the ritual talon salute that goes with the song.  I don't think many people noticed him, so I don't think he was doing it to get attention.  Like I said, I'm not a mind-reader, and people can fill in whatever motivation they believe.  But I just thought that small scene was worth putting on the record.

You sure he wasn't flipping them off? Kidding! Kidding! rolleyes.gif

You are correct with Gerry Faust! I stopped searching in the 80s and didn’t go back to the 70s. He is the only coach to successfully jump directly from HS to major college football head coach. It wasn’t called 1A back then as their was no 1AA yet.

Art Briles did not jump directly from high school head coach to a Division 1A head coach job. Briles spent two years with a very successful Texas Tech program leaning todays college game as an assistant. Dodge‘s last college experience was over a decade ago with under a failed college coach!

I’m all for Dodge as OC! Let him learn the job before you hand him the keys. Did anyone see that awful sales video he did? He couldn’t see water in the desert right now, but with some training I think he’ll get better.

North Texas can’t afford to have someone who needs to learn how to inspire the alumni. We don’t have time for someone to learn how to run a recruiting system. We someone who can go out in the community and get donations immediately. While I’m sure Dodge can learn how to do these things in time, neither he nor Major Applewhite have ever actually done them.

We need a head coach, not a head coach in training.

Faust was the coach at Notre Dame in the 1980's not the 1970's and D1AA did exist during his tenure there. Also, I'm not sure that he is the ONLY one to jump from high school to D1A and eventually go bowling. He is just the only one that I can recall off the top of my head.