Florida Journalist's Prediction: FAU 17, UNT 16

rcade

I was looking for wire photos of the black uniforms when I found a spot-on prediction of tonight's score from the Palm Beach Post

Palm Beach Post

By Marcus Nelson | Saturday, November 18, 2006, 02:33 PM

The Owls face the first of two lame-duck coaches today when they face North Texas and their coach Darrell Dickey who was fired earlier this month, before facing Don Strock, who resigned this week, and FIU in the Shula Bowl on Nov. 25.

Just two seasons ago, people around the Sun Belt were lamenting the fact their league was losing credibility because North Texas was so dominant.

After all, the Mean Green made four consecutive New Orleans Bowl appearances and won 26-consecutive Sun Belt games.

The last two seasons, North Texas has come down to earth and apparently the administration at North Texas forgot they are North Texas and fired a respected and admired coach. Perhaps there is a plan in the works to lure Mack Brown away from Texas to coach the Mean Green. For getting rid of Dickey ADS Rick Villarreal and President Gretchen Bataille should consult with UNT alum Dr. Phil. “What Were You Thinking?” indeed!

One of FAU’s biggest victories came against North Texas in 2004. With the Mean Green in the midst of that 26-game Sun belt winning streak, the Owls, who were then transitioning to I-A and just a Sun Belt “Scheduling Partner” came to Denton and served notice it could compete with teams in its new league be beating UNT 20-13

Last year’s game was also a doozy, featuring a mistake by the officials which cost North Texas a down and a kick that clanged off the upright in a 26-23 Owls victory at Dolphin Stadium.

Here’s a capsule look at today’s game

Florida Atlantic at North Texas

When: 7 p.m.

Where: Fouts Field, Denton, Texas

TV: CSS

Radio: 640-AM

Records: FAU 3-7, 2-3 Sun Belt; UNT 3-7, 2-3 Sun Belt

Key matchup: North Texas linebackers vs. FAU running back Charles Pierre

The Owls couldn’t establish a running game last week as Pierre struggled for 29 yards on 18 carries vs. Troy. However, the UNT defense has struggled trying to stop the run.

Key question: Will FAU be able to defend North Texas’ two offensive units – the starters and “The Green Team”

North Texas has used a second-unit of offense effectively and having to prepare for two totally different units could create problems.

Prediction: FAU 17, North Texas 16

Essentially everyone in the country outside of a handful on this board think the firing was ridiculous. I hear about every freaking day out here - it's nuts.

People on the outside didn't have the misfortune of watching Dickeyball, so they're not in a good position to judge on how fast the program's been sinking.

For those schools who want to operate their football program at lower levels and who have alums who will accept such, DD might be the perfect hire (for whatever school that would possibly be). style_emoticons/

UNFORTUNATELY FOR DARRELL DICKEY.................even if he were on a "check him out" list of some school looking for a new HFC, word will eventually get out concenring DD's last 3 weeks on the UNT payroll and some of the shenanagannery (new word) that has (and still will) take place since DD has ONE MORE GAME TO COACH FOR UNT! style_emoticons/ And FWIW...........all that might prove to be more than any school's upper echelon may want to take a chance on. And also there is this statistic for those across the nation who don't seem to have the most recent copy of an NT MG Football Media Guide:

42 Wins.........63 Losses (in 9 years of DD Ball)

I just now read it and sent you a PM back.

These days and times, TTG, you never know what people will believe and if they've read it on the internet and don't know me, then some may think it must be true? rolleyes.gif

Peace, The Tasty Greek................and do be careful with those Prevention of Cruelty to Animals folks, they can get pretty vicious, especially if they haven't had their own rabies shots)! rolleyes.gif (Just kiddin' fellow animal lovers, I am a pet rescuer just as many of you are, too, I'm sure--matter of fact, just had a border collie someone dropped off in the country adopt me and my 2 Great Pyranees). smile.gif