The word on Glanville from the Honolulu paper

NT80

Posted on: Friday, November 17, 2006

Warriors' success stirring up interest

By Stephen Tsai

Advertiser Staff Writer

University of Hawai'i defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville might very well be a candidate to fill the head football coaching job at North Texas.

He just doesn't know it.

"I have not talked to anybody about it, nobody's talked to me about it, and I guess that means there's nothing going on," Glanville said. "That's Internet speculation. I'm not going to talk about it. There's nothing going on."

A stir was created — on the Internet, naturally — when Tim Dienhart of The Sporting News reported Glanville might be a candidate.

"I had a source tell me today," Dienhart wrote in his college football roundup, "that Hawaii defensive coordinator Jerry Glanville could be a factor in the North Texas job after Darrell Dickey was let go a few weeks ago. It's a position Glanville is interested in, I'm told. It seems like a perfect match for each party."

Told about Dienhart's story, Glanville said: "I have no idea who he is. I have not spoken a word to him. I have not talked to one team this entire season. I'm working. I've got my plates full. All I'm worried about is San Jose State."

With the Warriors' success this season, head coach June Jones said, he expects his coaches to be mentioned for coaching jobs across the country.

"That's what happens when you're winning," Jones said.

Glanville mused: "I may move, but I won't move past Diamond Head. That's the end of that tune. You know what my favorite song is, don't you? It's: 'If the Phone's Not Ringing, It's Probably For Me.' I love that song."

Glanville, like all UH assistant coaches, has a one-year contract. He was head coach for two National Football League teams before working for 12 years as a television commentator and race-car driver/owner. He was hired as UH's defensive coordinator in April 2005.