Updated DRC article on $1 mil+ donation & Butler

NT80

$1million-plus

Villarreal not sure how money will be distributed

08:54 AM CST on Friday, November 17, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas is in the final stages of securing a gift to the athletic department of more than $1 million, athletic director Rick Villarreal said Thursday.

“We will probably make an announcement next week,” Villarreal said. “We are waiting until we determine where the money will go within the department.”

Villarreal said the money could be spread to several different areas of the department, but that it will make a large impact on the Mean Green’s program.

UNT has multiple projects in its plans for the next several years, including a new football stadium to replace Fouts Field, a baseball venue that would allow the school to revive its program and a golf course.

Villarreal said the gift would be the largest UNT has landed during his tenure that began in the spring of 2001.

The department received a $1 million gift from Houston businessman Jim McIngvale in 2004 that went toward the construction of the Mean Green Athletic Center. California businessman Ronald Waranch gave another $1 million toward the construction of a tennis center later that year.

UNT named the new facility the Ronald Waranch Tennis Pavillion.

Those two donations helped Villarreal raise $12.3 million in the first five years of his tenure at the school, according to figures provided by the department.

Villarreal: Butler initiated contact

UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said Thursday that Southern Miss assistant head coach Randy Butler initiated contact about the Mean Green’s opening for a head football coach.

Multiple coaches and administrators at Southern Miss said Wednesday Villarreal had asked for permission to talk to Butler about the job. Villarreal was unavailable for comment on Wednesday night, but said Thursday Butler is just one of more than 50 coaches who have inquired about the position and that he is still gathering information about who is interested in the job.

Several coaches have expressed interest, including UTEP offensive coordinator Eric Price and former NFL head coach Jerry Glanville, who is now the defensive coordinator at Hawaii.

“It has only been a week that the job has been open,” Villarreal said. “I am going to try to gather all the information that I can so that everyone will receive consideration.”

i really hope this isnt the big seven figure donation he was talking about in the last article he was qouted in. he made it sound like this donation was gonna dwarf MMs donation. looks to me like its the same. $1million is great... but i was hoping for a multi-million donation so we could break ground on a new stadium.... guess ill still be waiting for that one.

i really hope this isnt the big seven figure donation he was talking about in the last article he was qouted in.  he made it sound like this donation was gonna dwarf MMs donation.  looks to me like its the same.  $1million is great... but i was hoping for a multi-million donation so we could break ground on a new stadium.... guess ill still be waiting for that one.

What gives you the impression that it's only 1million? The article clearly says it's more.