A positive on Dodge and recruiting

FirefightnRick

I spoke to a person this morning that I respect his oppinion concerning football greatly, who works very closely with HS's and college football programs across the state and into Oklahoma and Louisiana, and our coaching candidates came up. I told him the list that has popped up of those listed as interested and the wish list of the MGN as well. I told him that one possible knock on TD that some have posted is that he may have worn his welcome out with local HS coaches due to running up the score, or total domination or whatever. He stated that couldn't be a factor at all because of all the coaches who send their QB's to TD's QB camp each summer. He said TD is GREATLY respected across the state in that regard.

This is getting interesting as to who it will be. For me I wouldn't want to have to be making the decision because this is such a critical hire with so much riding on it. But for now, if you came to me and said "Based on what you have read and heard, you have 20 seconds to choose from the field of candidates...starting NOW!", I would have to go with Carthel at WT A&M. He's a proven leader, a proven winner, he's been around the political side of the job, he understands that this is an entertainment business and he knows the importance of connecting with the fanbase.

Rick

I spoke to a person this morning that I respect his oppinion concerning football greatly, who works very closely with HS's and college football programs across the state and into Oklahoma and Louisiana, and our coaching candidates came up.  I told him the list that has popped up of those listed as interested and the wish list of the MGN as well.  I told him that one possible knock on TD that some have posted is that he may have worn his welcome out with local HS coaches due to running up the score, or total domination or whatever.  He stated that couldn't be a factor at all because of all the coaches who send their QB's to TD's QB camp each summer.  He said TD is GREATLY respected across the state in that regard.

This is getting interesting as to who it will be.  For me I wouldn't want to have to be making the decision because this is such a critical hire with so much riding on it.  But for now, if you came to me and said "Based on what you have read and heard, you have 20 seconds to choose from the field of candidates...starting NOW!", I would have to go with Carthel at WT A&M.  He's a proven leader, a proven winner, he's been around the political side of the job, he understands that this is an entertainment business and he knows the importance of connecting with the fanbase.

Rick

Rick, those are my top 2 candidates in my mind. I think either Carthel or Dodge would be great choices.

I see too many benefits to having Todd Dodge here to ignore...

1. RECRUITING: I know, we have good athletes. But imagine what a Chase Daniels caliber recruit could do for this offense.

2. The OFFENSE: call me crazy, but the spread offense is taking Divison-I programs into the next century. My nephew Drew Carnahan plays Freshman football at Southlake now. He is a 6-1/200lb, 15year old baseball player who plays TACKLE at SLC. Todd Dodge's offense has no TE's, so he plays for the downfield pass and scores a motherload of points. ALL the best athletes are on his offense. Imagine what that would do for the offensive scheme at NT? I cant think of a more exciting offense to watch? It would bring football fans to Fouts... it has to Southlake Carroll.

3. OOC opponents: Todd Dodge was a Longhorn QB, and still carries that "when the gun sounds and time expires...we WILL be ahead" mentality. He honestly believes that his teams can compete with ANYONE.

4. Ticket sales: Most of the people in this state know Todd Dodge. More than the normal amount of fans will come out to watch a team he coaches. Could be a huge fan base increase.

There are lots of other reasons he would work out here...history as our OC, close proximity so his family can stay in SL, etc... I just think we need a big name and proven winner to turn this thing around. My OPINION is that Todd Dodge gives us the edge we need to improve this program. I would love to read the Dallas Morning News this year on signing day, and see some committments of "North Texas" among all of those "Texas Tech's", "Texas A&M's" ..and "UT's" from the States top 100 athletes. I really believe we have that if Dodge comes to Denton.

My two cents, and probably not worth that much. Fire away...

GMG!!!

FFR, your posts about Dodge have persuaded me that he may be a good choice. The Parker fiasco is just hard to get past.

There are some major diffrences between the two. 1. Dodge played major college football and has an idea of what it takes to be succesful on a big time level. 2. Dodge has coached on the college level and knows the type of athlete, staff, committment, and community outreach he's going to need to be successful, especially since he's been at North Texas. In '93, with Dodge as OC, we average 28 ppg. I don't think he'll have a problem with his offense, he just needs to pick a mother a DC, get to recruiting, and re-energize the fan base.

So, between the two give me Dodge because I know what I'll get out of him. I just don't know enough about Carthel