UNT makes move in head coach search

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...6.3ef7c858.html

UNT makes move in head coach search

Mean Green ask for permission to talk to Southern Miss asst. head coach

07:38 PM CST on Wednesday, November 15, 2006

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

North Texas officials have asked for permission to speak with Southern Mississippi associate head coach Randy Butler about its opening for a head coach.

“I have been contacted about my interest,” Butler said. “I said I was interested and that is all I know right now.”

USM head coach Jeff Bower said Wednesday that he has received a phone call from UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal about Butler, but the two had yet to make contact.

UNT dismissed head coach Darrell Dickey on Nov. 8 with three games left in his ninth season and is in the process of searching for a new coach.

Villarreal did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Kareem Copeland of the Hattiesburg American contributed to this report

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

A couple of thoughts:

- Coach Butler is probably a good coach and you have to admire his loyalty to Southern Miss. He's been with USM for 16-years - that's a long time. On the flip side you can't help but wonder why he hasn't been given another head coaching opportunity sooner.

- I took a quick glance at the USM roster and there is 1 player from Texas - a tight end from Tyler Lee. USM really doesn't recruit Texas. Besides a stint at SMU in the 80's and some time at Navarro JC over 10-years ago he hasn't been recruiting Texas or developing relationships with the high school coaching ranks. I'm not saying that a coach from a different region can't come in here and recruit well but it will take several years to develop relationships. We're trying to get a stadium built - we need some sizzle now.

- There are several very viable candidates that have shown an interest in this job. In the very least we should give them a shot. There is no need to rush this hire.

- My top priority for this new hire is to get a young, energetic guy that can recruit talent (ala Todd Graham). We need someone that is hungry and driven to move up the food chain. Frankly, I don't want to have a Head Coach be here for 10 years. I want to see a coach be here for 3-4 years and take a bigger job because he has been so damn successful!

I will be the first to admit I don't know Coach Butler from Adam, and I am trying my best to be open-minded. But from what I have read about him so far I just don't see him fitting the profile that I would like to see in this very important hire. I hope like heck I am wrong!

GMG!

RV says he did not initiate contact....

Let me stop this now. I received a phone call from Coach Butler and returned his call. I asked if he was calling because he was interested in the job. I invited him to apply and send info same as all candidates. I did not initiate contact. I can also now promise you that while I do know Coach Butler and he is a good friend, he is not a contender.

Rick V

I thought JJ was from the previous AD?

Trilli was fired a day after the funeral of one of his players by Alan Ward and company, prior to RV coming in. this was after stating that the new AD would decide if Trilli were to stay or go. Obviously the politics of UNT ruled the roost there. RV did hire Jones though after he came into power.