Tim Cowlishaw on Todd Dodge to UNT

UNTSIG

I happened to be on the DMN website this morning when Tim Cowlishaw was hosting a live chat. I couldn't help myself, so I had to ask!

untsig: Tim MacMahon posted last week that Todd Dodge at Southlake would be the best canidate for the head coaching vacancy at North Texas. I can't think of any situation where a high school coach has made the jump directly from the high school ranks to the college ranks and been successful. What makes Todd Dodge to North Texas so different?

Tim Cowlishaw: I'm not questioning Tim's judgment, but are we sure that North Texas is a better job than Southlake Carroll? Or a better team? Does it pay as well? I see Dodge landing at a bigger school even if there aren't a lot of blueprints for this thing happening. There aren't many high school coaches with Dodge's tracke record, either. What are they, 50-0 in 5A regular-season games or something like that? Crazy.

Wow, so a local sports columnist who is also on a national talk show just questioned if coaching at North Texas was better than coaching at a suburb high school. I guess we see where we stand with the local media....

That is such a silly comeback that it doesn't even warrent defending. Of course one of the 119 D1A gigs is a hell of a lot better than a high school coaching stint.

Thoughts - Feelings - Actions!

I believe in North Texas and it's leadership!

I feel a good change coming to our football program!

The actions are already underway and it's time to get excited again!

GMG

i agree. that is why i didn't ask him who should come to North Texas because I knew that during a live chat, he couldn't go do research and really know the situation at UNT. for him to even suggest though that coaching at North Texas was not better than coaching at a 5A high school is ridiculous. also, El Paso Eagle that was a great link to the article in the DMN about high school coaches salaries. it really makes you realize that there are a lot of people on this board that don't know what they are talking about. some were saying that we couldn't afford Todd Dodge but then you see proof that he is making $90,000 and you realize that some of the posters on this board just make up things when it is convient. unless he has some kind of inheritance that we don't know about, i don't know anyone in their right mind that would leave over $200,000 on the table....

i agree.  that is why i didn't ask him who should come to North Texas because I knew that during a live chat, he couldn't go do research and really know the situation at UNT.  for him to even suggest though that coaching at North Texas was not better than coaching at a 5A high school is ridiculous.  also, El Paso Eagle that was a great link to the article in the DMN about high school coaches salaries.  it really makes you realize that there are a lot of people on this board that don't know what they are talking about.  some were saying that we couldn't afford Todd Dodge but then you see proof that he is making $90,000 and you realize that some of the posters on this board just make up things when it is convient.  unless he has some kind of inheritance that we don't know about, i don't know anyone in their right mind that would leave over $200,000 on the table....

I dunno, Im of the opinion that as a sports writer you should be pretty knowledgable of what is going on just up the road from the city where you are employed, at a Division 1 university surrounded by a somewhat controversial firing and an overly dramatic donor- or at least know enough to say anything besides "I think a 5A team could beat them..." but maybe I just expect too much by expecting anything at all

Better than half of those kids will probably never see another football field, and a tiny percentage will actually get to play in Div 1A football. Its a stupid statement no matter how you look at it.

IF north texas offered Todd Dodge a coaching job, there is no doubt he would take it. How many coaches have the opportunity to go become a head coach at a college straight from a highschool, much less a Div 1 program just 30 miles away?

I happened to be on the DMN website this morning when Tim Cowlishaw was hosting a live chat.  I couldn't help myself, so I had to ask!

untsig: Tim MacMahon posted last week that Todd Dodge at Southlake would be the best canidate for the head coaching vacancy at North Texas. I can't think of any situation where a high school coach has made the jump directly from the high school ranks to the college ranks and been successful. What makes Todd Dodge to North Texas so different?

Tim Cowlishaw: I'm not questioning Tim's judgment, but are we sure that North Texas is a better job than Southlake Carroll? Or a better team? Does it pay as well? I see Dodge landing at a bigger school even if there aren't a lot of blueprints for this thing happening. There aren't many high school coaches with Dodge's tracke record, either. What are they, 50-0 in 5A regular-season games or something like that? Crazy.

Wow, so a local sports columnist who is also on a national talk show just questioned if coaching at North Texas was better than coaching at a suburb high school.  I guess we see where we stand with the local media....

Was it not Cowlishaw who wrote last week that UNT should go after Dodge ?

Wow... I'd expect much better of Cowlishaw.  Way to default to the general uninformed opinion instead of going out and actually doing some digging.  That's just sloppy, lazy journalism.

He's a Texas alumn and homer and pretty much dismisses most other schools. He really doesn't dig into college football that much and when he does, I'm sure he skims the top 10 and calls it a day.