Jim McIngvale

NDT

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

""""In this regard, it's important to note that Coach Dickey had every intention of staying at UNT for the entire length of his professional career. The same cannot be said of other athletic department members, who openly court other schools so they can move up to a "better job" away from UNT!""""""

BINGO......

That is soooo true of the people pulling the strings....I think we all know who he is talking about in this regard...RV

The same AD who tried numerous times to bail out of NT at any other opportunity that has risen up since he's been here. NMSU and ULL to name a few places where he applied for the same job he has here at NT, then have him squirm his way onto the board to deny he did this, after he got turned down by both both organizations

It's pretty easy to see why he was turned down as he failed miserably at his first duty of business here at NT:::::  FUNDRAISING....

Well he's doing an even better job now as he lost us our biggest donor ever at NT.

Go away. You are the eternal chihuahua. Yip. Yip. Yip. Nothing more. You bark regardless of what is in front of you. You bark simply to bark.

It appears MM has given us a great way out of a bad PR situation. Naming the practice fields after Darryl show the University appreciated the 4 bowls and the win streak. Naming the practice fields shows we're not the "mean, ungrateful" Green.

Yes, certainly do it!

Good point. Name the practice facility after Dickey, big deal. Then revoke MM's alum status! mad.gif

=eulesseagle,Nov 12 2006, 10:16 PM

how many of you who post have donated $1,000,000 to the FB program?

Well, at least two that we know of. But I do know 5 others personally, three of which post on this board who have donated between $2500 and $100,000 at some point in the past, and nearly every year at other levels, but has refused to do so ever again until DD was gone. But you don't read about that in the papers, do you?

is it totally unreasonable to turn down this donation??

Who's turning down the donation? We have already accepted it publicly three years ago and spent it.

again, MM is correct in the horendous OOC games that UNT has to play for  money games to try to balance the athletic budget.

What? Name me one mid-major school that doesn't do this? ONE? Name one in the Belt, the MAC or C-USA or the Mnt West conference that doesn't do this? And unless you haven't been paying attention(like McInvale), we have not played more than two major power house programs(I don't include Baylor or K State) in a season the past 4 years including this season, and this season we only played one, which is what RV stated was in his goals to accomplish when he first got here. That mission has been accomplished but still wasn't enough to make one certain coach happy enough to stop complaining about it....to potential donors!.

Could UNT have done better with another coach?  maybe yes....maybe no.....we will never know.

Ask the MUTS in reference to this question how they feel about their coaching change? And exactly what is better? Going to bowl games? Because if your simply going to use that as the measuring stick remember that to go to the N.O. Bowl you have to win this conference. We have several past coaches that have won the conferences they were coaching in and would have done this as well had their conferences had bowl tie ins, around 20 others to be exact, or more if you include the success Fry had during our indy period.

For UNT to advance athletically UNT needs donations, period.

Very true and I would say that it is EXTREMELY more difficult to do when your coach gets on national tv and reminds potential donors how grim his situation is at his current job. This is where that P.R. Nightmare part comes in that I keep reminding you people of.

If ANY of you trash MM on his giving then YOU are the ones who want to keep UNT down in the "DARK AGES" of BIG TIME college fundraising.

Again, where is it that people have trashed MM for his donation? I think your getting the "Donation" part mixed up with the "attempted strong-arming for personal agendas" part.

finally........it is time to get out your checkbooks and "match," en mass, what MM has graciously done for UNT.

Graciously? Are you serious? Did you and UNTPlaymaker do lunch today in front of the same computer or what? laugh.gif

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

For those not familiar with Deming (I wasn't) here is his wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Edwards_Deming

Maybe MM should have introduced DD to Deming –

One of the tools used for Continuous Improvement is the well-known Deming-circle (Plan-Do-Check-Act) is a useful framework for achieving continuous improvement.

Plan: We start by defining targets for service levels and we document the procedures.

Do: The procedures are introduced in the operation. Employees are trained to follow the new procedures.

Check: Well-defined management information provides insight into the bottlenecks in the operation. The information can be used to evaluate and motivate the staff.

Act: Using the management information, we identify and prioritize opportunities for performance increase. Introducing these improvements enables us to enter another cycle of the Deming-circle.

In other words – you strive to continually update the way you perform and change your strategy and tactics to make yourself better and to outperform your competition.

*sigh* I really don't care what Mac says, and I really never have. Dickey's first 3 years were 2-9, 3-8, and 2-9. Instead of firing him either then or during the dismal first part of the 2001 season, RV lights a fire under his ass, and he actually responds. And now we're back to where we were at the start of his tenure. You can brag about the bowl games and the conference trophies only so much, and you can play the health card only so often before it gets old, and we see what it really comes down to. Dickey wasn't getting better as a coach, and Mac's trying to extort the Athletic Department.

There may be a real scandal here.  Also in the paper I saw a something with hamburger on it telling me that they "are loving it".  I haven't seen much postitive publicity about this company before.  I don't want to point fingers, but is it possible that Ronald McDonald has bribed the DRC?

Developing..........

laugh.gif

Under - Rated *clap* *clap* *clap-clap-clap*

Though, to through my HSO in the mix. If a guy who hands you 10,000 $100 bills asks you to change the name of something, I don't see the huge deal. We need to keep and court donors, not to the extent that they have undue influence, but enough to make sure they believe in what we are doing and keep giving.

MM's leverage just got fired!  tongue.gif

Really? ohmy.gif The dollar is no longer legal tender? Good thing I keep my mass fortune in krugerrands.

Now, I have to get something off my chest. I can't help but think a big part of the Anti Matress Mac feeling is due to envy.

Many people don't like the fact he can use money to buy influence. Well, this is the real word, money does buy influence. Is it fair or morally right? Who can say, but that is how the real world works.

Want as much influence? Go make so much money that you can give a million dollars. As far as I know, he didn't inherit that money, he earned it. It looks like he got a little big head because of it, but thats also the way the world tends to work.

At the end of the day, if we are lucky, those fields will be named after Dickey, and RV will be talking MM into opening up that checkbook again.

Really?  ohmy.gif  The dollar is no longer legal tender?  Good thing I keep my mass fortune in krugerrands.

Now, I have to get something off my chest.  I can't help but think a big part of the Anti Matress Mac feeling is due to envy.

Many people don't like the fact he can use money to buy influence.  Well, this is the real word, money does buy influence.  Is it fair or morally right?  Who can say, but that is how the real world works.

Want as much influence? Go make so much money that you can give a million dollars.  As far as I know, he didn't inherit that money, he earned it.  It looks like he got a little big head because of it, but thats also the way the world tends to work.

At the end of the day, if we are lucky, those fields will be named after Dickey, and RV will be talking MM into opening up that checkbook again.

Just because that's "how the real world works" doesn't mean we should accept his behavior.

T. Boone Pickens donated 5 times as much to TWU as MM did to NT and he doesn't act like an a$$.

I really don't understand the MM bashing on this board. The man just gave us 1 million dollars, hopefully he will give more. Name the practice fields after Dickey. It is my opinion there should be something done to commemorate his accomplishments anyhow.

His friend just got fired from his alma mater. I am sure there are a lot of emotions running through him. When he calms down and another coach is in here and winning, and maybe even another of Mac's friends, we need to be there willing to accept whatever donation he is willing to give us without badmouthing him for holding the program hostage.

I just have a sick feeling that some on these boards are willing to bite the hand that feeds us to make a point. We don't have that many hands feeding us yet.

To be honest with you, I wish I had the kind of money to donate and tell the athletic department what to do with it and someday maybe I will.

We look like ungrateful people who feel like we are entitled to his money no matter what. He is only doing what many of you were thinking about doing... Not buying season tickets anymore because they were upset with the way things were being run. Or threatening to end MGC donations until we start winning again.

You can do it and make a point, but if Mac does it he's holding the program hostage? Maybe you think that because of the amount of money involved...

We look like ungrateful people who feel like we are entitled to his money no matter what.  He is only doing what many of you were thinking about doing...  Not buying season tickets anymore because they were upset with the way things were being run.  Or threatening to end MGC donations until we start winning again.

You can do it and make a point, but if Mac does it he's holding the program hostage?  Maybe you think that because of the amount of money involved...

Very good way of stating that.

We don't have that many hands feeding us yet.

I honestly feel that had coach Dickey understood this himself he would still be our coach. Which leads to the discussion of not understanding. It's my belief that a few people here truly don't understand how very disgruntled DD has been since '98 and especially '01. I could write a small novel with example after example of it. DD has left the university with no other choice. The decision was the right one to make despite the one-sided picture the DFW media has chosen to paint. If MM want's the practice field named after him, so be it. That is a win-win situation for all involved.

One question remains: Who's the next coach and how long till we get back to New Orleans in December?

Rick

No one ask Dickey to beat Texas or Oklahoma...just be competitive! 67-3 is not competitive (it's a complete embarrassment to UNT football and the entire athletic program) and shows the lack of talent, size and speed he recruited. There's plenty of talent in the state of Texas if you're willing to go get it...Dickey got lazy, plain and simple. Here's another thing, Dickey was also insubordinate to his boss and many others. You can do that if you're winning big, but anything less, you're gone!!!

I also think that what hurt us a lot more than what people will admit to or even dare broach was the lack of discipline on and off the field during our winning SBC years. The fights, arrest and yes the tragic death of Andrew. The reports of drunkenness concerning our coaching staff and some players in New Orleans and Denton most certainly was used against us in the recruiting war.

I think a lot of quality recruits had to have been guided away from us by players parents and the kids coaches.

If Mattress Mac wants people to hear the other side of the story well we should point it out looking at it from all angles.

Dickey ran a reckless ship and I personally don't believe he is the saint many are making him out to be.

He got lucky. He was at the right place at the right time, thats all.

Edited by Eagle Man

If DD is such a great coach?  Why after winning 4 straight conference championships are we having 2 of our worst seasons?  Most schools of our stature continue to build on this type of success, yet we have gone backwards.

Does anyone think DD and his staff got complacent?

ohmy.gif

Since there are several who have posted on here that like to remind us of the "real world", and since MM likes to remind us of the four bowl trips under DD, let me bring up a "real world" response.

In the real world, when a coach takes his team to four straight bowl games, someone takes notice, and tries to hire him away.

I've posted this once before, but it obviously bears repeating. We had a coach (Jerry Moore) with an 11-11 record and NO BOWL TRIPS. Coach Moore was hired away from us..... DD has not been. The real world spoke a long time ago about DD's accomplishments.

Since there are several who have posted on here that like  to remind us of the "real world", and since MM likes to remind us of the four bowl trips under DD,  let me bring up a "real world" response.

In the real world, when a coach takes his team to four straight bowl games, someone takes notice, and tries to hire him away.

I've posted this once before, but it obviously bears repeating. We had a coach (Jerry Moore) with an 11-11 record and NO BOWL TRIPS. Coach Moore was hired away from us..... DD has not been. The real world spoke a long time ago about DD's accomplishments.

Silver Eagle for the MF'n win!!!

cool.gif

Now, I have to get something off my chest.  I can't help but think a big part of the Anti Matress Mac feeling is due to envy.

Many people don't like the fact he can use money to buy influence.  Well, this is the real word, money does buy influence.  Is it fair or morally right?  Who can say, but that is how the real world works.

Want as much influence? Go make so much money that you can give a million dollars.  As far as I know, he didn't inherit that money, he earned it.  It looks like he got a little big head because of it, but thats also the way the world tends to work.

According to this article http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...ewscolumn2.html Mr. MacIngvale's net worth in 2002 was estimated at $100 Million (make sure you put your pinky finger at the side or your mouth when you say that).

As a UNT alumnus, I certainly appreciate any and all donations former alumni choose to make, but I'll go ahead and make a public vow to UNT now that, should I ever become a multi-millionaire, I promise to make a donation of more than 1% of my net worth. And...my only demand will be that the donation go to the department of my choosing.