Can our next coach save Jamario?

MeanGreenZen

Jamario Thomas had six carries for two yards against ULL.

During his freshman season Jamario looked like he'd break Ron Dayne's NCAA career rushing mark or leave us after his junior year for the NFL.

But two years later he's turned into just an average to below average Sun Belt Conference running back.

Check out his regression: As a junior, he's averaging 3.6 yards a carry. He averaged 4.1 ypc as a sophomore. AND 6.3 YARDS PER CARRY AS A FRESHMAN!!!

That's a huge dropoff. The reasons cited for the slump last season were the extra weight he gained and a lingering injury, but entering this year he was supposed to be at full strength and much lighter.

The offensive line can't bear all the blame because Evan Robertson, a guy who is considered to have less overall talent than Jamario, runs behind the same line and is averaging the exact same 3.6 yards per carry.

UNT needs Jamario to be a superstar. His individual success brings attention to the program and should help recruiting (The pitch: Come to UNT, win a national rushing title, get on the cover of USA Today and your hometown will dedicate a whole day to you and present you with a key to the city).

Why has Jamario's production continued to slip this year? Should he still be the starting running back next week? What does our next coach have to do to revive his career? Can he regain the step he has supposedly lost?

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

I believe Jamario was as good as any back in the nation in his freshman year. I too do not know what has caused such a downfall in production. It appears to me that he is still very fast and is trying if anything too hard. He just seems to have lost his vision to see the field and find the crack in the defense. A poor offensive scheme, ineffective blocking and defenses keying on him have all let to drops in production; but even allowing for that he does not seem the same running back that was here in 2004.

I believe Jamario was as good as any back in the nation in his freshman year.  I too do not know what has caused such a downfall in production.  It appears to me that he is still very fast and is trying if anything too hard.  He just seems to have lost his vision to see the field and find the crack in the defense.  A poor offensive scheme, ineffective blocking and defenses keying on him have all let to drops in production; but even allowing for that he does not seem the same running back that was here in 2004.

Sorry, I love Jamario but I can't accept the "offensive scheme" argument any longer. Any back in the nation can run through wide open holes.. the great ones, find the small holes and earn a couple extra yards each run by shear effort to push tacklers back. Devin Cox and Evan Robertson are having success running the ball. If they find holes, Jamario should be able too also, and he should be doubling their running output on any given day. Something's up with Jamario and I just can't figure it out. I suspect it is a mental, rather than physical problem.

Edited by chrisfisher

His individual success brings attention to the program and should help recruiting (The pitch: Come to UNT, win a national rushing title, get on the cover of USA Today and your hometown will dedicate a whole day to you and present you with a key to the city).

Uh, it takes coaches who are out recruiting a top RB to make your point valid. dry.gif

At the game yesterday, I did not see Jamario run behind the Green Team line. I could be wrong. Trust me, that OL was doing some great blocking for Cox. But yes, Cox did a good job of finding those small holes to run through. Jamario may be trying too hard, but behind the blocking of the Green Team line, who knows what could happen.

Not to take anything away from Davenport, but I'd like to see Dickey play Johnny Quinn a little more with the Green Team. 'Course, Dickey may not want to hurt the 1st teams feelings. wink.gif

He would still remember those words of advice and wisdom...

No coach can save jamario the numbers speak loud...

He might have some off-field distractions that might be a problem

I hate how people think that Jamario has gotten worst, this is not true, he is the same size and same speed (maybe alittle faster) as he was his freshmen year, the problem is with the line... The line is horrable for this and last years team.. People always complain about the QBs, and how Jamario is playing, but how can they do anything when there are 2 or 3 people in the backfield every play?? Let Jamario run behind the Green Team line

Could it be the loss of "Coach Cobbs"... remember his freshman year Cobbs was on the sidelines giving him tips and pointers and the like while Jamario was in doing the work.  I wonder if his words of advice/wisdom are missed by Jamario these days.

Good post... I think this has A LOT to do with it. Cobbs knew what it took and was a student of the game and i think some of it rubbed off on Thomas his freshmen year.