Michael Sturns

chrisfisher

I know several folks have said good things about Michael Sturns. I wasn't really that impressed with him last season or in our first game this season. BUT, that all changed tonight. He was on fire in the first half. He has some serious moves and occasional Harlem Globetrotter style play. If he performs like he did in the first half over this season, I'll be a big time Sturns fan. He does have tendency to try to do too much on his own with the ball. But this something that is easily solved through good coaching. I am very excited about this BB team!

Edited by chrisfisher

He is the best player on the team if he could stay focused. Jones said that he has matured so we will see if his potential can come out?

I would have vehemently argued with you on Sturn being our best player; however, after last night's first half performance you may have an argument there. Time will tell this season.

Just an observation from previous years-Sturns plays like an all-star against lower competition. When things aren't going so well against better competition (Sun Belt) he starts to force things and things start to deteriorate. I have hopes he can take his incredible athleticism and dominance to the better teams we face this year as well. The talent is there.

I was was on floor right next to him, I started to get excited about him and he got excited too.

I was watching a Cowboys game a few weeks ago, and John Madden was talking about one of the running backs, and how, as a young player, he tried to make things happen instead of waiting for the play to work itself out and create the hole that he needed.

I think Mike has a tendency to be a "hot and cold" player sometimes because of the speed at which his thoughts and moves are going. The reason I say this is, it seems that many of his plays and moves rely heavily on timing being perfect, if his timing is perfect, he looks ready to play in the NBA. If the timing of one thing gets off just a little, it can make him go cold quickly, and he looks sloppy because of it.

But, on the other hand, if he can just get his timing right and focus well, I do agree, that he can be a phenomenal player this year. I really do think that he has a lot of potential, but I think that we will all agree, that he just needs to focus, and let the plays work out as Coach Jones has designed them.

I think Mike has a tendency to be a "hot and cold" player sometimes because of the speed at which his thoughts and moves are going. The reason I say this is, it seems that many of his plays and moves rely heavily on timing being perfect, if his timing is perfect, he looks ready to play in the NBA. If the timing of one thing gets off just a little, it can make him go cold quickly, and he looks sloppy because of it.

I think your analysis is a good one and might as well be applied to the whole team. If we can get Calvin Watson, Michael Sturns, and Kendrick Davis to all make their shots in the same game (doesn't seem like they ALL shoot well on a given night) combined with good play from Ben Bell, Harold Stewart, and Keith Wooden..... WHOA.. watch out because this team will be hard to beat and I think we'd have a legitimate chance to win the SBC and enter the NCAA tournament.

Big man we need to step up and have a break out year: Quincy Williams.

Players I am still trying to figure out: Jonathan Jackson and Collin Mangrum.

Just as a furtherance of what I was pointing to earlier, I also think Mike is a "momentum player", in that, when he gets going he is nearly unstoppable, but just a little shake up and he is off the rest of the night.

I agree with what you said about he rest of the team. I would bet that JJ is working on getting these guys to be able to "feel" where their teammates are at all times. These guys have had months of time together with each other working on plays and plans, but they have not seen any action together yet, and I think it is going to take a few games to get used to each other.

I think once JJ sets a starting lineup that we will see the "a" team come out and begin working together much better.

It is just the first game of the season, and there are 8 more games over the next month, I think that by next month we will see a completely different team playing in front of us.

Marc, I was so waiting for Quoner to bust you for that quote.

laugh.gif

I look at it this way, give a man a fish, he eats once.

Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Adler, my friend, I have taught you to fish.

I know several folks have said good things about Michael Sturns. I wasn't really that impressed with him last season or in our first game this season. BUT, that all changed tonight.  He was on fire in the first half. He has some serious moves and occasional Harlem Globetrotter style play. If he performs like he did in the first half over this season, I'll be a big time Sturns fan. He does have tendency to try to do too much on his own with the ball.  But this something that is easily solved through good coaching. I am very excited about this BB team!

21 points...shooting 80%....OK, I am officially a Sturns fan now!