Day 3 after DD Day-"The Firing"

Eagle Man

The grapevine says that DD walked into the locker room on Wednesday and told the players he had been fired because he "Couldn't Recruit. He then asked them how that made them feel?"

Don't know if this is true or not, but it sounds like Dickey!

YES! But we must make a huge sign thanking him for all he has done. Dickey you classy guy you!!

I talked to not one, not two, but three people - TODAY - that told me about Ramon acting like a little cry baby in the practice. Walking around chatting on his cell phone, saying negative shit as loud as he could so that the players could obviously hear him. At first I thought that letting this staff work through the last few games was a good idea; now I am seeing that this is a very bad idea. RV is a coach, he needs to let Dickey and Flanny go - strap on the clipboard, and get out there and coach it himself. Funny thing is, I bet that RV would probably win a game or two; which is more then I can say for this lame duck coaching crew. Maybe they will make me eat ... C-R-O... WAIT, I am not doing that again! But maybe they will make me eat me words wink.gif

The grapevine says that DD walked into the locker room on Wednesday and told the players he had been fired because he "Couldn't Recruit. He then asked them how that made them feel?"

I don't know why anyone is surprised, this is vintage DD. It only shows me that he wants to go out winning using the same old "us against the world" bs that he has used throughout his NT career to motivate the team.

geez folks! let's not alienate "mattress mac". the program needs every dollar it can get from whomever. hopefully mac can get over the Dickey dismissal. anyone who knows or has met DD only has positive thoughts about him. he is a terrific man and is a man of his word. his dismissal is not personal. it is strictly job performance of late.

Edited by football fan

This doesn't surpirse me in the least. This is the same guy who year after year in New Orleans had players out until 2:00am the night before Gameday partying with the fans. Anyone think it was convenient that our teams (besides the Cincy year) looked sluggish and unprepared on Bowl Gameday (and were dehydrated according to announcers).

Glad that we are moving on. As others have stated...the next couple of weeks, we as a University will be bashed for making this decision. We are making the right move. A situation like this one only helps to prove that.

Wow... I never had any bad feelings for Dickey the man... But, I've been frustrated with Coach Dickey over the last couple years. But, this is not good. This is a classless act and if he is saying more stuff like this he should be removed from campus. I hope he gets his health in order and moves on peacefully.

Recruiting is part of the reason every coach gets fired. If Dickey was a class act, he would have adressed the team with something like:

"The University has decided to go in a different direction because of our performance this year. I know it has not been up to par for you or me. You still need to work hard for the next three weeks, because WE, as a team, need to show the administration they made a mistake."

If he had said something like this then I would feel a little bit Bad about the way he was fired. But since he talked trash, F' HIM and his whole crappy staff.

geez folks!  let's not alienate "mattress mac".  the program needs every dollar it can get from whomever.  hopefully mac can get over the Dickey dismissal.  anyone who knows or has met DD only has positive thoughts about him.  he is a terrific man and is a man of his word.  his dismissal is not personal. it is strictly job performance of late.

Mattress Mac alienated himself from us!

I'm not feeling bad, either. I mean, it seems that everyone has forgotten his first 3.5 seasons and how RV told him to either get his team together or get his resume' together. Yeah, he took us to 4 bowl games, etc., but he sucked at OOC games and his recruiting skills seemed to have died after a few seasons. How many chances do you give a coach if you're trying to move up the ladder? He had at least one, he was told to calm down on the "us vs. the world" talk and really didn't, so what would you do if he was your employee? If I were Dickey, I wouldn't be surprised to find a pink slip in my chair one morning.

Yeah, he took us to 4 bowl games, etc.,

All DD could truly say about that is " I coached a team that was better than 6 of the worst teams in D-I at the time "

I enjoyed every minute of all the Bowl runs , but honestly it wasn't impressive at all. I think there are a few IAA teams that could of won the SBC in any of the 4 years that we did.

Dickey's gone for this exact reason... smart ass not only to the players, but to his boss and many others. Lack of winning of course! He’s a lazy ass, didn’t recruit worth a damn the last four years… He thought he was going to get another job at a bigger program and be gone! We’re much better off without him! We’ll recover from this very quickly…now; let Rick V. do his job! He knows exactly what he’s doing! Anything will be better than Dickey!!!

Don't know if this is true or not, but it sounds like Dickey!

I'd have to hear the entire conversation to pass judgement, but my initial reaction is one of disgust.

Talent at the collegiate level can trump bad coaching. So what does that say about DD?

If it walks like a duck.....

ohmy.gif

Edited by Got5onIt

It is true, that is exactly what he told the players.

How did the players take this? I hope they're seeing that this decision was made with a bigger picture in mind, and not at all as an attack on their abilities on the field/in the classroom.

I think it's wise for you to bite your tongue until the season is over. I'm very curious if you'll elaborate at season's end about any other quips in line with this, but I'll respect your silence if that's what you decide to stick with.

Personally, I'm thankful for the effort the player's put forth on the field and how they have represented the Mean Green.

-gm

Agreed, I think he would more lilkely be telling them that so that they would perform in the last 3 games. Saying it sarcastically, "Well, they told me I couldn;t recruit - what do you guys think about that?" = GUYS REACTION: "That's bullsh!t Coach, you can recruit, you got me away from XXX State and XXX State... and I am a pretty damn good football player - I am going to show those sumbitches how wrong they were!"

I'd say Dickey can't recruit our market (DFW). If the other Belt schools can, we can't we? He might do fine elsewhere, but he sucks at it in DFW.

And I'd say we need to recruit DFW like there's no tomorrow. Recruiting DFW could help draw more casual fan interest to our program.

Agreed, I think he would more lilkely be telling them that so that they would perform in the last 3 games. Saying it sarcastically, "Well, they told me I couldn;t recruit - what do you guys think about that?" = GUYS REACTION: "That's bullsh!t Coach, you can recruit, you got me away from XXX State and XXX State... and I am a pretty damn good football player - I am going to show those sumbitches how wrong they were!"

I'll buy some of that.

I do wonder what a thought balloon from Jamario or one of the quarterbacks. It probably would have said," you haven't exactly hit any home runs with any offensive lineman lately."