NTDaily: AD asks Dickey to step down

NT80

Athletic director asks Dickey to step down

Michael Prescott

NT head football coach Darrell Dickey was asked to step down by NT Athletic Director Rick Villareal Wednesday after a 2-7 record this season.

Dickey led the Mean Green to four conference championships, the 2002 New Orleans Bowl and was named the Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year four times during his nine years as the NT head football coach.

"This was a decision made over time," Villareal said. "It was not a decision made based off of one game. It was a decision based on the performance the last two years, and we just didn't think the program was headed in the right direction,"

Villareal said he and NT President Gretchen M. Bataille made the decision based on the team's performance the last two years. Dickey will finish out the remaining three games this season before leaving as head coach.

Dickey's 2004 contract said he was to be the head coach through the 2008 season. Villareal said there was a provision in Dickey's contract that allowed it to be bought out, and said Dickey will be paid an estimated sum equal to three times his 2004 base salary. As of 2003, Dickey's base salary was $155,000, according to an InHouse statement.

"I am very proud of what we've accomplished, this football program, in my nine years here," Dickey said. "It's been an honor and a privilege to be the head football coach here."

Villareal has not named any possible candidates for the job but said the process would begin quickly as to help with recruiting. Which coaches will remain with the program has not yet been discussed.

With NT's seven overtimes win against Florida International University on Oct. 7, Dickey passed Hall of Fame coach Hayden Fry with 41 wins as NT's head coach. Dickey's overall record while at NT was 41-62, including a 33-20 record in conference games.

The Mean Green football won four straight Sun Belt Conference Championships from 2001-2004, before going 2-9 during the 2005 season. NT has won only two of nine games this season and has no chance of winning the SBC. The Mean Green is ranked last in the country in scoring offense this season.

"I'm extremely disappointed, coach Dickey has always been there for me," said senior receiver Johnny Quinn. "He gave me a chance out of high school, and he believed in me. I believe he will go on to bigger and better things."

Athletic director asks Dickey to step down

Michael Prescott

NT head football coach Darrell Dickey was asked to step down by NT Athletic Director Rick Villareal Wednesday after a 2-7 record this season.

Dickey led the Mean Green to four conference championships, the 2002 New Orleans Bowl and was named the Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year four times during his nine years as the NT head football coach.

"This was a decision made over time," Villareal said. "It was not a decision made based off of one game. It was a decision based on the performance the last two years, and we just didn't think the program was headed in the right direction,"

Villareal said he and NT President Gretchen M. Bataille made the decision based on the team's performance the last two years. Dickey will finish out the remaining three games this season before leaving as head coach.

Dickey's 2004 contract said he was to be the head coach through the 2008 season. Villareal said there was a provision in Dickey's contract that allowed it to be bought out, and said Dickey will be paid an estimated sum equal to three times his 2004 base salary. As of 2003, Dickey's base salary was $155,000, according to an InHouse statement.

"I am very proud of what we've accomplished, this football program, in my nine years here," Dickey said. "It's been an honor and a privilege to be the head football coach here."

Villareal has not named any possible candidates for the job but said the process would begin quickly as to help with recruiting. Which coaches will remain with the program has not yet been discussed.

With NT's seven overtimes win against Florida International University on Oct. 7, Dickey passed Hall of Fame coach Hayden Fry with 41 wins as NT's head coach. Dickey's overall record while at NT was 41-62, including a 33-20 record in conference games.

The Mean Green football won four straight Sun Belt Conference Championships from 2001-2004, before going 2-9 during the 2005 season. NT has won only two of nine games this season and has no chance of winning the SBC. The Mean Green is ranked last in the country in scoring offense this season.

"I'm extremely disappointed, coach Dickey has always been there for me," said senior receiver Johnny Quinn. "He gave me a chance out of high school, and he believed in me. I believe he will go on to bigger and better things."

sad.gif

what a classless act to fire dickey